Walsh Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Walsh Cup

Post by joe bloggs »

Happy Christmas to all. It's been quite around here for the last few days.

Anyway now the turkey is gone we can look forward to the new season with the Walsh Cup first on the menu for the Hurlers. I was just wondering when, where and and who we are against in the first round?
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Walsh Cup

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Walsh Cup draw 2010.
UCD v Antrim, winners v Wexford
Carlow v NUIG, winners v Dublin
Laois v GMIT, winners v Galway
Offaly v DIT, winners v Kilkenny

First round matches on 24th Jan 10, Second round on 31st Jan. First named at home.

And the O’Byrne Cup draw for the footballers.
Laois v DIT
Kildare v UCD
Carlow v Athlone IT
Wicklow v Louth
Dublin v Wexford
Longford v Meath
Kilkenny v Offaly
Westmeath v DCU

First round matches on 10th January ’10, Second round on 17th Jan. First named at home.

Further details on the Leinster Council's site. See the following links-
http://leinster.gaa.ie/fixtures/walshcup.asp
http://leinster.gaa.ie/fixtures/obyrnecup.asp
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Thanks for the info POTH.

Should deal with DIT fairly comfortably, setting us up against the cats which is good. I firmly believe that the more often you get to play the best the better it is for you. It may only be Walsh cup but you can be sure that whoever Cody picks will be trying his best as they will all want a spot on the team that will be trying to make history later in the year. Sure if we get beaten at least we would be learning from it ( and the footballers could get revenge in the O'byrne cup!)

On a footnote it is interesting to see that Leinster's borders have now expanded to include NUIG and GMIt.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

I wonder will KK even field a team in the O Byrne Cup, a little dickie bird tells me that they are struggling big time to get guys interested in competing. This would not have been the first time that this has happened concerning KK footballers, if they do manage to put out 15 players on Jan 10th then our lads could put out their wives and girlfriends and still win with something to spare.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

wonder what team joe will put out again dit, like to see some young players get a chance to show they can make it .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: O'Byrne Cup

Ya know, I was just thinking to myself today, this match has all the hallmarks of a club league match where you don't actually know for sure the match will take place until ten minutes before it actually starts!! I see on the Leinster GAA site too that it's fixed for Kilkenny and not Freshford.
black and red exile wrote:I wonder will KK even field a team in the O Byrne Cup, a little dickie bird tells me that they are struggling big time to get guys interested in competing. This would not have been the first time that this has happened concerning KK footballers, if they do manage to put out 15 players on Jan 10th then our lads could put out their wives and girlfriends and still win with something to spare.

black and red exile
All Star

Yeah POTH I've seen that myself, Freshford would normally be their location for these kind of games, it does'nt make sense playing this match in Nowlan Park when the attendance will be the grand total of about 27.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: O'Byrne Cup

Just heard it confirmed on radio that all O'Byrne Cup matches this weekend are off so the 'invasion' of Kilkenny will have to wait another week and Kilkenny's interest in the O'Byrne cup will stretch into the second half of the month of January!!

black and red exile
All Star

God POTH that's shocking news, ya can almost hear the groans of disappointment from Gracefield to Crinkle :lol:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The weather really would make you wonder about the value of playing any kind of games at this time of year. I know that it's an unusually cold snap at the moment, however there isn't anyone out there who passes any real remarks on games played at this time of year, plus it's hardly fair to judge players on how they perform in these conditions.

Actually a thought has occurred to me which I will now put up in a separate thread.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

just finish brian codys book a great read as well, but cody said kk take the walsh cup seriously every year he has been over them.
He said after last years final no way did he want to see the walsh cup on the galway bus going west, that will tell you the level they aim at.
Offaly should try there best to win it and keep a winning run into the league it would bring on young players if they won it.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

With the footballers playing in OCP next Sunday will the Walsh Cup tie with the DIT be played in the South of the County? :D

black and red exile
All Star

I would imagine the hurling will be moved to Bannagher, there is no way OCP will be able to host a double header this time of year.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I see it's fixed for Rath at 'Two Bells' on Sunday.

black and red exile
All Star

No doubt where you are going POTH.