Quarter-Final Previews

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Quarter-Final Previews

Post by True Red »

Thought's from anyone?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lousy frickin wedding this weekend in Wexford means that I may get to Friday's game if I bunk off early from work - that'll be it though for the Lone Shark this weekend - well annoying.

Saturday evening's games in particular look quite wonderful.

As regards the games themselves:

Brigid's vs Ballycumber

As we've covered enough times on this site, I don't think the Ballycumber performances against Edenderry the last couple of times out reflect their true ability. I've always rated this team, and with so many forwards that can score they can be hard to stop. They will struggle to live with Carroll in midfield, and they will really need Donoghue to be at his best to stop David Egan on his current form.

If Ballycumber were ticking along nicely, I'd fancy them to take this. I would worry however that it's not always the easiest thing find championship pitch from scratch, and after dropping the intensity they might struggle. However Ballycumber have won their games to here playing for only fifteen minutes per game. I'm going to take them to win out here.

Clara vs Shamrocks

At the start of the year I fancied Clara to do very well - that was before I knew about Mitchell/Deehan/Daly all being absent for one reason or another.

Based on the first game you could only tip Shamrocks. Ronan Mooney is getting back into championship football pace, they won't hit as many wides again, and if they stop Shaper Clara have feck all else up front. There won't be much between them, but I'd take Shamrocks by three.

Tullamore vs Gracefield

I've covered this already in the thread on the first game, but Tullamore I think will improve enough from the last day. McConway will be back, Monaghan will start and improve the forwards, and Mickey Flynn might be available as well. O'Neill won't be left on a man in the "Autumn" of his career like Ivan Dunne for so long this weekend either. Tullamore by 6, going away from them in the end.

Rhode vs Edenderry

Edenderry are 5 games unbeaten, and certainly won't fear Rhode. They still have experienced players who have won county championships before, and....., and.......

I can't keep up the charade any longer. Upsets can always happen, but the equivalent hurling is Birr vs Rynaghs - which would be 1/6 Birr in a knockout game. And Rynagh's have beaten a lot better teams in recent years than Edenderry have.

I may be proved wrong, and for the sake of (1) Offaly Football, (2) Niall McNamee finally getting his operation and (3) the benefit of the long suffering Edenderry following, many of whom are on this board :D - I'd love to see Edenderry win.

The bookie in me can't see it though. Rhode by seven.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Interesting.Agree with all of your forecasts bar the last one.Hopefully the Reds can put it up to the champions in a big way.

On a side issue,if i went down to the local Paddy Power bookies would i got those odds that you were quoteing on a different thread.nearest one to me would be in Kildare.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

If you went in and asked, they might ring me - in which case I'd quote the price on that thread. However I'm not sure if they have a policy of not laying these any more since I'm not there to keep an eye. You don't want to be seen to have a scattergun policy when it comes to local events. Chance your arm though - mention that you thought there was an Offaly guy doing GAA for them, it might inspire whoever you're talking to to give me a ring. To save the effort, ring the head office - 01 4045900 and ask to be put through to the sports room - and ask them if it's worth you travelling. Or you could put on the bet over the phone either.

Or alternatively, assuming you're not putting on €50 a man for the whole panel of 30, there could be ways of accomodating a moderate wager.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

ah no it would be only for myself.I'll ring head office and see what they have to say.Sound

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

A tonne a man on the panel would be some incentive to beat Rhode (if one were required). I think Armagh did this last year or the year before

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

just rang the sports room there and a fella called Eoin said that they werent doing it this year.I asked him was there any particular reason and he fobbed me off basically.He said that there would be difficulty in finding fixtures?? :x :x and that it would be hard to study team form???

I didnt query him. :x :x

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh wrote:A tonne a man on the panel would be some incentive to beat Rhode (if one were required). I think Armagh did this last year or the year before
Not quite - Armagh were "given" an incentive, or a free bet on themselves by John Boyle of Boylesports, himself an Armagh man. I'm not sure if it was publicised as such, because that mightn't be seen in a great like by Sean Kelly and associates, but that was what happened anyway.

When I was doing this for Paddy Power it was guite common for players in clubs to come together and have a chunky bet on themselves to win the club championship.

Round Towers in Kildare had a lump on themselves when they won a few years ago, and there were a few near misses as well down the years.

I'll give Eoin a ring if you want. If not sure just drop an email and we'll sort something.