What Intermediate club would you like to see senior?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

What Intermediate football club would you like to see playing senior?

Ballyfore
No votes
Clonbullogue
No votes
Kilclonfert
17%
Raheen
No votes
St Rynaghs
21%
Tubber
38%
Walsh Island
25%

Total votes: 24

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

What Intermediate club would you like to see senior?

Post by Bord na Mona man »

There are a few county players who would benefit.
Mad Mac - Tubber.
Conor Evans - Ballyfore
Ger Rafferty - St Rynaghs

Then you have a club with a great tradition like Walsh Island who you feel would relish graduating to senior.

Vote on it!

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

walsh island have a few nice footballers who would benefit by going senior.Although their backline would struggle when it came to the bigger,faster teams

duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

Walsh Island I reckon.

3/4 quality players that would become stronger and possible impact the county team.

William Mulhall, Rory Connor, Ross Connor, Thomas Connor and Alan Mulhall. Possibly Keith Fitz also. With a couple of years in senior ranks these guys would have a say on the county team

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'd like to see Rynaghs go up, just because it would make a very interesting Group C next year

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

I'd like to see Tubber go up! Lots of players in the present minor squad or just out of minor! Mac playing senior again.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

Personally, I'd like to see Tubber go up. Ballyfore have been up and down before. I admire Tubber a lot for their dedication to the game. Look at the Offaly minor squad this year - they have some promising players even if one of the lads dropped himself off the panel. They've a small pick and put in a huge effort.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm in the Tubber camp as well - several reasons.

(1) Far and away some of the best underage teams for the size of the club - utterly commendable.

(2) The area the club is situated in should see a lot of extra houses going up in future years. If a good footballer from Kerry or Cork for example was to move up, a senior club in the area could be the difference between playing for Tubber or playing for Moate or Rosemount. (an odd criteria, but fair nonetheless I think)

(3) After all the clubs been through to get this far, and the amount of effort that's been put in, I'd love to see them get a shot at it.

(4) Give McManus a shot at a county medal. It's a long shot, but in tow or three years with the lads coming up you never know.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think the consensus is that we all want a club to go up and make an impact at senior.
i.e. Consistently challenge for knockout places.

It seems there will always be a couple of senior clubs who are happy to sit in the weak group once they avoid relegation.
Two up - two down, or an extra play-off would spice things up.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:It seems there will always be a couple of senior clubs who are happy to sit in the weak group once they avoid relegation. Two up - two down, or an extra play-off would spice things up.
I don't know if it's necessarily that the clubs are "happy" to do that - it's just that in many cases they don't have the wherewithal to go any further, and the system in place does not really present relegation as a live threat for many of the clubs.

To throw a familiar chestnut onto the fire, maybe a few less slots at senior level for the clubs, with a couple of divisional sides thrown into the mix would be the way to go. Alternatively you'd have to ask do we really have the strength in depth to support this many senior clubs? Maybe we should be settling at ten, or possibly twelve, with a two group system, not unlike (shudder) Wastemeath. :shock:

Percy Sledgehammer
Senior

Post by Percy Sledgehammer »

You have to have senior as an aspiration for clubs like Tubber. After all the work that's gone in, to raise the bar another foot or so is not fair.

How about a system like Clare Hurling - senior A and senior B? 8 senior A in two groups, where the top 3 in each group of four make the quarters, and the bottom two drop to senior B the follwing year - and the two senior B group winners replace them and make the quarters as well to make up the eight. You have a few dead rubber games at the end of the group stages is the only thing.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I'd be interested to know what systems all the counties use.
it would be an interesting school project for some transition year students.

i'm against the system we have now