Bracknagh Bow Out of Senior Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

Message from the Bracknagh website.

Bracknagh ended their 5 year stay in Senior Football ranks following a 1-6 to 0-13 defeat to Erin Rovers in O'Connor Park on Friday evening last (July 22nd 2005). In a game they had to win to force a play-off, Bracknagh started well, and a long range goal left them 2 points up at the break, 1-5 to 0-6. This proved to be the last period of dominance for Bracknagh, as the second half belonged entirely to the pollagh men. Superior fitness and effort allowed Erin Rovers win a huge amount of ball in their back line and midfield and attack at will. This was reflected in the solitary point Bracknagh managed in the entire second half. Despite not giving up and pushing hard for a goal which might give them a lifeline, Bracknagh just didn't have enough to challenge sufficiently.

The future for Bracknagh now lies in the intermediate ranks, where a big effort and commitment to training is required in order to achieve success.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I really can't see them coming back up any time soon. You couldn't pick too many of their big players that you could say are coming into their prime, they still rely on Frank to provide 80% of their attack, and the full back line is seriously suspect. A hungry Rynaghs/Tubber/Kilclonfert/Walsh Island would be too much for them.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I note Frank Weir has been rebranded as Fran Weir in the reports in the local papers last weekend

duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

Bracknagh team are getting on too. Dempseys and geoghans have a lot of miles (maybe an exageration) in those legs. rebuilding effort required - thats if they can find the population

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

does any one really care???

duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

there is only so many teams in the county so its nice to keep up to date on them all.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

True Red wrote:does any one really care???
I don't see any reason to particularly have anything against Bracknagh - something I should know about?

In saying that, I'm not sorry they're relegated - not because I have anything against the club, but because it would be a lot more beneficial to Offaly if Tubber/Rynaghs/Walsh Island were playing senior in their stead.

The future is pretty bleak from a Bracknagh point of view now though - their key players are largely speaking on the way down, and I've seen nothing that leads me to believe that they have anything coming up to replace them. Daingean's performance this year showed how competitive intermediate is, and that stopping the rot next year might be the limit of Bracknagh's achievements.

I'm not too familiar with the lie of the land in that corner of the county - is the population there? Is it growing, or have potential as a commuter village for some large town? Or is it a small village that's getting left behind?

duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

clonbullogue and bracknagh unfortunatly are losing population. walsh island has had a number of housing estates built in recent years and many families are moving in and actually travel up and down to dublin. while no good footballers has arisen yet, at least they will have the numbers to sustain future growth.