Senior Hurling Team of the Year

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
keenonsport
Junior A

Senior Hurling Team of the Year

Post by keenonsport »

With the championship over just wondering did anyone have an opinion on what the 'All-Star' team from the year should be? I'll get the ball rolling...
1.Damien Fox (Tullamore)
2.Chris Guinan (Kilcormac Killoughey)
3.Trevor Corcoran (Colderry)
4.Stephan Egan (Tullamore)
5.Barry Harding (Birr)
6.Peter Healion (Kilcormac Killoughey)
7.Dylan Hayden (Birr)
8.Barry Teehan (Colderry)
9.James Keane (Tullamore)
10.Gary Hanniffy (Birr)
11.Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
12.Conor Mahon (Kilcormac Killoughey)
13.Ger Scales (St.Rynaghs)
14.Kevin Martin (Tullamore)
15.Cathal Parlon (Colderry)
P
layer of the year: Stephen Egan (Tullamore)
The team is based purely on the senior championship 2009 and has nothing to do with their ecploits for the county team.

leinsterman
All Star

Re: Senior Hurling Team of the Year

Post by leinsterman »

my team would be
1.damien fox (tullamore)
2.J.P o'mera (birr)
3.Enanna murphy(seir kieran's)
4.Stephen Egan (tullamore)
5.Jame's rigney (kinnitty)
6.Paul Cleary (birr)
7.Dylan Hayden (birr) If pa jo left him there and not up to the foward's birr would be still champion's
8.Shane Kelly (tullamore)
9.Connor Mahon (kk)
10.Shane Dooley (TULLAMORE)
11.Joe Bergin (seir kieran's)
12.Simon Whelahan (birr)
13.Daniel Curram's(kk)
14 Kevin Martin (tullamore)
15.Francis Kerrigan (tullamore)

player of the year; Shane Dooley (tullamore)

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

1. Damien Fox (Tullamore)
2. Chris Guinan (K/K)
3. Cillian Bane (Tullamore)
4. Stephen Egan (Tullamore)
5. James Rigney (Kinnitty)
6. Eanna Murphy (Clareen).. outta position I know but him and Bane were stand outs for me.
7. Dylan Hayden (Birr)
8. Shane Kelly (Tullamore)
9. James Keane (Tullamore)
10. Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
11.Joe Bergin (Clareen)
12. Conor Mahon (K/K)
13. Cathal Parlon (Coolderry)
14. Kevin Martin (Tullamore)
15. Francis Kerrigan (Tullamore)

Player of the year: Ireland Star, Shane Dooley!

gunnerman
Junior A

Post by gunnerman »

1.Damian Fox

2.Liam Browne
3.Eanna Murphy
4.Stephen Egan

5.Dylan Hayden
6.Peter Healion
7.James Rigney

8.Shane Kelly
9.James Keane

10.Brian Leonard
11.Conor Mahon
12.Cathal Parlon

13.Shane Dooley
14.Kevin Martin
15.Ger Scales

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Why are so many picking Hayden at wing back?
I can't be certain but I'm nearly sure that he played most of his hurling this year in the forwards. He may have played one or two games in the group stages at centre back but as the summer dragged on he was certainly in the forwards.
One would have to question how much hurling was watched by those putting him at wing back.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Chalk it down Parish. If I was to pick a Birr defender, Paul Molloy is the one I'd actually pick. I've been critical of him before but he had a good year in defence.

Others I'd give a mention to are Paul O'Donnell (reads the game well, improved with every match), Eanna Murphy obviously, Darragh Coughlan for consistency, Colin Egan frequently was Belmont's best hurler from midfield, Shane Kelly kept Tullamore going during times when others around him lost their way, Derek Morkan led the Shinrone attack well mention too for Willie Comerford, a full back in the traditional mould. Mention too for Trevor Corcoran in the Coolderry defence and Cathal Parlon in their attack. I didn't see much of K/K during the early stages but I'd reckon Brian Leonard was their most consistent attacker while Lee and Mahon were outstanding up to the final but didn't produce it on the day that mattered most.

It's hard to pick a goalkeeper and if one were to select three like they do with the all-star nominations they'd probably pick Damien Fox, Liam Coughlan and one other. Maybe the Cleary lad from Shinrone who had a decent year and looks promising. He'd bring the average age down a bit too!
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:One would have to question how much hurling was watched by those putting him at wing back.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Why are so many picking Hayden at wing back?
I can't be certain but I'm nearly sure that he played most of his hurling this year in the forwards. He may have played one or two games in the group stages at centre back but as the summer dragged on he was certainly in the forwards.
One would have to question how much hurling was watched by those putting him at wing back.
I Was at all the birr game's this year the first one belmont 2 coolderry 3 lusmagh4 seir kieran's the last one in the group tullamore.
dylan hayden played centre and left half back in all the game's. pa joe switch him to half foward for tullamore group game.
and kinnitty in quater-final and semil. the best display all year was hayden's against coolderry . coolderry put about 3 lad's
on him . dylan had a great game against's lusmagh from half back line as well got 2 point's as well. don't think you can question how much
hurling i watch this year (great day for the parish). was at county final as well. in fact haven't missed a county final in hurling since 1987.

benbax
Junior C

Post by benbax »

Please tell me how Shane Dooley would deserve Player of the Year?... he missed 2 penalties in the final, jesus must be easy to get player of the year these days, he is far from the player some lads are making him out to be, lets be honest if KK forwards were on fire the wud have blew tullamore away. Damien Fox had 2 lucky saves in the final and all of a sudden he's the best keeper in the county. unbelieveable.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

leinsterman wrote:
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Why are so many picking Hayden at wing back?
I Was at all the birr game's this year the first one belmont 2 coolderry 3 lusmagh4 seir kieran's the last one in the group tullamore.
dylan hayden played centre and left half back in all the game's. pa joe switch him to half foward for tullamore group game.
and kinnitty in quater-final and semil. the best display all year was hayden's against coolderry . coolderry put about 3 lad's
on him . dylan had a great game against's lusmagh from half back line as well got 2 point's as well. don't think you can question how much
hurling i watch this year (great day for the parish). was at county final as well. in fact haven't missed a county final in hurling since 1987.
Thanks for backing up my point. By your reckoning, Hayden played a grand total of four games in defence split between centre back and wing back.
I agree that he was immense against Coolderry at cente back in what may have been performance of the year. Therefore I'd have little problem if people placed him at centre back on the Club Team of 2009. However most people would understandably not select him at centre back on said team due to the fact that he played so little hurling there (in games that were of little importance).

Now given that his performances at wing back were somewhat less stellar than those at centre back and given that he played much the same amount of hurling at wing back (again in games of little importance) as he did centre back then why are so many picking him at wing back on the team of the year? Surely, like centre back, people would agree that he simply did not play enough hurling at wing back to merit inclusion. Surely there is not such a paucity of alternatives among all of the other club wing backs that people are reduced to picking a player he played well for a grand total of two or three games (and again I repeat in game of little importance against poor opposition). I can therefore only conclude that people are picking him there because ''somebody else did, so he must have been class'' and so on an so forth.

Honestly it's almost akin to giving an Offaly player an All-Star this year for a couple of good performances in Division Two of the League.

As for being to every County Final since 1987 leinsterman, hey that's just swell. I've been to every County Final since 1911 though so you've a bit of a way to go yet.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

My recollection of Birr that evening against Coolderry is that Hayden played the second half of the match at midfield when Birr played the second half with five backs and Coolderry played with five forwards.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Thanks for backing up my point. By your reckoning, Hayden played a grand total of four games in defence split between centre back and wing back.
I agree that he was immense against Coolderry at cente back in what may have been performance of the year. Therefore I'd have little problem if people placed him at centre back on the Club Team of 2009. However most people would understandably not select him at centre back on said team due to the fact that he played so little hurling there (in games that were of little importance).

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:My recollection of Birr that evening against Coolderry is that Hayden played the second half of the match at midfield when Birr played the second half with five backs and Coolderry played with five forwards.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Thanks for backing up my point. By your reckoning, Hayden played a grand total of four games in defence split between centre back and wing back.

no dylan was centre back brian carroll was on him, barry whelahan and joe brady were sent off. jp o'mera went off hurt,
but hayden stayed in the centre. barry harding came back after jp went off. our half back line clean up that night.
5 paul cleary 6 dylan hayden 7 molly molloy. he went into midfield the odd time to catch the puck out alright.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Hayden started that match at centre half back, but Birr resumed after the break with Verney and Harding forming a two man full back line, Cleary at centre back (flanked by Claffey and Molloy) and with Hayden at midfield.
leinsterman wrote:no dylan was centre back brian carroll was on him, barry whelahan and joe brady were sent off. jp o'mera went off hurt,
but hayden stayed in the centre. barry harding came back after jp went off. our half back line clean up that night.
5 paul cleary 6 dylan hayden 7 molly molloy. he went into midfield the odd time to catch the puck out alright.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Hayden started that match at centre half back, but Birr resumed after the break with Verney and Harding forming a two man full back line, Cleary at centre back (flanked by Claffey and Molloy) and with Hayden at midfield.
leinsterman wrote:no dylan was centre back brian carroll was on him, barry whelahan and joe brady were sent off. jp o'mera went off hurt,
Jasus sure if you look at that way in that match gary hanniffy was out midfield sean ryan had a spell out there, sure pa joe had them
everywhere, i just think hayden done most of his hurling around the half back line that day. brian whelean came on that day as a foward
near the end of the match he was taking a pass of breder a hand pass.