Group A Situation

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Group A Situation

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me with my selfish question. There are two things knocking around the training camp that I was wondering if anyone could help me get clear.

1: If we (Ferbane) lose to Shamrocks and finish as the only team in the senior Championship with 0 points do we get relegated to Intermediate?

2: Roy Malone was sent off in the Leinster Championship with Rhode against Portlaoise for a straight red. but didn't serve any suspension. He then played against us in the first round of the championship. Now you know how these things go, rumours all over the place, but seemingly there has happened before in dublin and kildare and the oppisition were awarded the game. If this happens amd we beat Shamrocks we should finish top of the group. If we lose we'll still go down. Does anyone know anything about this??

My feelings are (1) there is no way they would relegate us. (2) There is no way they will take points of Rhode and give them to us at the expense of Shamrocks.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

(1) Poor form on behalf of Paul and co. not to be able to put ye're minds at ease with this - if Ferbane lose to Shamrocks, it's group C next year, not intermediate.

(2) I don't know about the case in Kildare, but the Dublin scenario is this:

(i) Mark Vaughan got a one game ban while playing for Kilmacud Crokes, which he never got the chance to serve in the Leinster Club Championship.

(ii) Kilmacud maintained that Vaughan's suspension should have been served in the Leinster championship, not the Dublin one, and played him in their first round match against St. Brigid's, which Kilmacud won by a point.

(iii) The Dublin county board agreed with this, and let the result stand.

(iv) Brigid's took the case to the Leinster council, who upheld their appeal and ruled that St. Brigid's, and not Kilmacud progress to round 2.

(v) As things stand, because the Leinster Council ruled against the Dublin County Board, and not technically against Kilmacud, it is for the Dublin County Board to appeal to the Central Appeals Committee if they wish to do so. I don't know as of yet what their plan is.

I have no idea whether Roy Malone was due to serve a suspension or not, if I recall rightly the red was for a kick out at a player, so I assume he is.

However - I attended Ferbane vs Rhode, and while Ferbane fought hard, and Roy Malone did play - the time to appeal was ideally before the game, or if not then, straight away after it. Rhode were the better team with or without Roy's influence, and truth be told, and I say this as a Ferbane man, if the result were to be overturned it would be a travesty.

This Ferbane team have been unlucky this year, in that even aside from the Shane Ryan tragedy, the squad has been operating without at least 3 or 4 probably starting players in each game due to injury, many long term. Howver ultimately after losing two games, granted against probably the best two teams in the county, ye're fate is still in ye're own hands.

Basically ye've to beat Shamrocks twice in a row to earn a QF spot. It's no small task, but it's do-able. And if ye do that, ye can be proud. If ye get in on the strength of an appeal on a technicality like that, it'll be nothing to be proud of, and will make sure that the whole county would be willing ye out of the championship this year and every year for a long time to come.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I agree!! I don't like this crack of looking for technicalities after a defeat. it's wrongg!!

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

One would have to borrow Mr McIntyres qoute recently about Offaly's chance of surprising Kilkenny and apply it here about Ferbane beating Shamrocks twice.

Which went something along these lines...........

"Theres a better chance of spotting a polar bear walking across the sahara with a bag of ice cubes on his back"

Sorry lads- Weak group for Ferbane next year.

Bogman
All Star

Ferbane

Post by Bogman »

I haven't seen Ferbane this year but they've been unlucky with the "Group of Death" they're in. If they are beset with injuries then they've done well even to put up decent showings.

I wouldn't rule out them beating Shamrocks but they'd be Underdogs.

Is it true that Ronan Mooney is back for Shamrocks? Will he be picked to start?

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

truth be told, and I say this as a Ferbane man, if the result were to be overturned it would be a travesty.
I do agree with that, I'd rather we bet them on the field rather that in a County Board meeting and I think it would be very unfair on Shamrocks. However we (along with alot of other teams I would imagine) probably won't turn it down if we got it. Lets hope it doesn't come to that though and we can beat Shamrocks fair and square on the pitch.

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

As regards the Roy Malone thing the thing that pisses me off is that I am convinced Rhode knew what they were doing was wrong and still did it. That really annoys me.

Lone Shark I have to disagree with you on this one. If this result was overturned I think the whole county will be happy to see Rhode being taken down a peg.

If Ferbane get out of the group I think we could see a few of the injured players making a return to action. Some of the injuries must be nearly healed.

minor
Senior

Post by minor »

should there not be a tipsters competion round coming up for the ferbane v shamrocks match. although i'm not going to let my heart over rule my head this time, well i'l try!! shark whats goin on with you isn't the match thursday? and if anyone felt like letting me know the time and venue of it, it would be much appreciated.

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

Couple of games coming up alright

Thursday 21/07/05

#1 Church St. S.F.C Clara v St. Brigids Cappincur 7.30 D. Brazil

#1 Church St. S.F.C Doon v Gracefield Killurin 7.30 M. Walsh

#1 Church St. S.F.C Shamrocks v Ferbane Ballycumber 7.30 C. Buckley

#1 Church St. I.F.C Walsh Island v Ballyfore Edenderry 7.30 J. O Reilly

#1 Church St. I.F.C Tullamore v Rhode Geashill 7.30 C. Costello

#1 Church St. I.F.C Tubber v St. Rynaghs Pollagh 7.30 M. Mahon

#1 Church St. I.F.C Clonbullogue v Daingean Ballinagar 7.30 N. Cooney