Offaly SHC County Final 18/10/09 @ 15:30

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Junior A

county hurling final sunday 18th october @15.30

Post by 1964 »

congtats to both the super blues and k/k on reaching the county final. what a win for the blues on sunday heart warming stuff. hopefully the local reporters will give tullamore a chance in the final because some of previews for the semi final win over birr was outragous to say the least namely the offaly independent . we all know birr were favourities but to totally dismiss the tullamore challenge was an insult to the tullamore players and club i have never read anything like it. i know this website has a very close affilition to the offaly independent so if ye all want to jump down my throat belt away but anybody can see it was a terrible preview.

now i have got that off my chest i reckon its going to be a good final and both teams will give a good lash k/k will start as marginal favourties i reckon there will be a massive crowd there too.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: county hurling final sunday 18th october @15.30

Post by Lone Shark »

Just to clarify, there is no connection between here and the Indo - just the writer in the Indo that you're referring to is yours truly, that's all.

As for the content itself, well all I can say is that I was wrong, and I'm very happy to say that I was - however my gut feeling is that people don't really want to read the kind of bland "say nothing remotely interesting" summaries that most papers give. I guarantee you that the writers in the other paper looked on the game exactly the same as I did - they just couched it in more subtle language. Some people probably prefer that, but my limited experience tells me that people prefer when you get off the fence. In fairness, the bookies were 1/50 which is essentially saying the same thing I did - I can only presume that if you were so offended my article, you were also offended by this and thus made a killing?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

1964 wrote:congtats to both the super blues and k/k on reaching the county final. what a win for the blues on sunday heart warming stuff. hopefully the local reporters will give tullamore a chance in the final because some of previews for the semi final win over birr was outragous to say the least namely the offaly independent . we all know birr were favourities but to totally dismiss the tullamore challenge was an insult to the tullamore players and club i have never read anything like it. i know this website has a very close affilition to the offaly independent so if ye all want to jump down my throat belt away but anybody can see it was a terrible preview.

now i have got that off my chest i reckon its going to be a good final and both teams will give a good lash k/k will start as marginal favourties i reckon there will be a massive crowd there too.

1964 I don't think it was an insult to dismiss the Tullamore challenge...Tullamore had not won a game in their group and had finished 5th in the group out of 6 places. In fairness they have to be be given credit for their comeback against Rynaghs. I did not give Tullamore a hope either but its nothing personal against any of the players or the club. By the way a lot of Tullamore people didn't give them a hope either and didn't even bother going to the match, they will be all out of the woodworm for the final though.

I think its great to have these 2 teams in the final and I can't wait myself.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This should be a great occasion. There'll be savage celebrations from whichever club wins it.

As for the reporting. A match is won between the white lines and not on the papers.
If the local media had tipped Tullamore to win, would it have affected the result?

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

You asked for it 1964 :lol: Maybe I am wrong but I am thinking you are part of the set-up for Tullamore, hence your anger towards the articles. Nothing wrong with this and nothing wrong with defending your corner but you really should pay no heed to the papers and leave them to predicting losses for Tullamore. Although saying that, long may they continue to do so as it seems to inspire the town to victories.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Junior A

Post by 1964 »

tullamore were in the semi finals on merit every team knew the set up of the championship and should have prepared accordingly as tullamore did , tullamore were the last team to beat birr in the offaly chapionship and have always given birr a good game so granted birr should have been favs but not to such an extent. in this day and age its all about getting teams to peak at the right time and tullamore and k/k have done so and are deservedly in the final

i thought tullamore had decent support on sat but your right they will come out of the woodwork for the final as is the case in every final teams are in. there will be some celebrations alright whoever wins

Junior A

Post by 1964 »

no i am not part of the set up just a tullamore gael

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

1964 wrote:no i am not part of the set up just a tullamore gael
Okey kokey lad. You are not alone.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Don't want to interrupt the celebrations or anything, but the 'blues' (wearing white!) won on SATURDAY!!
1964 wrote:congtats to both the super blues and k/k on reaching the county final. what a win for the blues on sunday heart warming stuff.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

In fairness, you got Coolderry bang on. Just out of curiosity what were the odds on their semi with K/K?
Lone Shark wrote:Just to clarify, there is no connection between here and the Indo - just the writer in the Indo that you're referring to is yours truly, that's all.

As for the content itself, well all I can say is that I was wrong, and I'm very happy to say that I was - however my gut feeling is that people don't really want to read the kind of bland "say nothing remotely interesting" summaries that most papers give. I guarantee you that the writers in the other paper looked on the game exactly the same as I did - they just couched it in more subtle language. Some people probably prefer that, but my limited experience tells me that people prefer when you get off the fence. In fairness, the bookies were 1/50 which is essentially saying the same thing I did - I can only presume that if you were so offended my article, you were also offended by this and thus made a killing?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Junior A

Post by 1964 »

celebrations well and truly finished nothing won yet. dont know why they were wearing the white jerseys on sat

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:In fairness, you got Coolderry bang on. Just out of curiosity what were the odds on their semi with K/K?
21/10 - much bigger than I thought they'd be. Had a decent cut off that, made back what I lost on Corofin and a bit more besides.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

bula bula wrote:
1964 wrote:no i am not part of the set up just a tullamore gael
Okey kokey lad. You are not alone.
and here was me thinking i was on this ship alone :D
great history hoping for a better future

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

The Tullamore ship could start filling up quite quickly now... :lol: I wonder will it be on TG4?

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Have to say I've no problem with the Shark's column. He only put into words what the bookies had in odds and in all honesty there wasn't a neutral hurling supporter in all of Offaly who thought any diifferent.

Sure he was wrong but at the end of the day it was an opinion piece and not a prophecy of the future.

Perhaps for Tullamore supporters his opinions were worded a bit 'undiplomatically' but give me that any day of the week over the bland, useless tripe that passes for match previews in the Midland Tribune.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.