Offaly's 2010 NFL Fixtures - Provisional

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
doobane man
County player

Offaly's 2010 NFL Fixtures - Provisional

Post by doobane man »

And the football - Draft also
Allianz GAA National Football League

07-02-2010 (Sun)
Uíbh Fhailí v Fear Manach
14.02.2010 (Sun)
Loch Garman v Uíbh Fhailí
07.03.2010 (Sun)
Uíbh Fhailí v Ros Comáin
14.03.2010 (Sun)
Sligeach v Uíbh Fhailí
21.03.2010 (Sun)
Uíbh Fhailí v Aontroim
27.03.2010 (Sat)
An Cabhán v Uíbh Fhailí

11.04.09 (Sun)
Uíbh Fhailí v An Lú

black and red exile
All Star

Re: Offaly's 2010 NHL fixtures - provisional (read it and weep)

Post by black and red exile »

Do my eyes deceive me or have we to go to that kip of kips Wexford Park again. I just don't believe it, what is it with this place, are our county teams doomed to travel to this dive year after year without them coming to visit us at all, as supporters we are in Wexford Park just as much as Tullamore over the last few years. Anyway at least we have avoided the long treks to Belfast and Enniskillen, Breffni Park will be tough but very winnable, Sligo in Markevitch will be a bitch. We have got to get out of Div 3 next year and preferably win it to give us confidence going into the championship, every game here is very winnable especially the home ones, we are quite capable of taking points in the away games too, personally the only one that I would be very nervous of would be a rapidly improving Sligo on their own turf. I have a gut feeling that Tom Cribben will leave no stone unturned in preparing the lads for a serious assault on this League to give us a springboard to being competitive in next year's championship and after seeing the 2 fixture lists for our 2 senior teams next spring I would be a lot more confident about our footballers making progress.

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

And 4 home games as well which kept us up this year!!!! And bloody Wexford away again.. And im headin to a wedding there tomorrow as well..... :lol:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

doobane man wrote:And the football - Draft also
Allianz GAA National Football League

07-02-2010 (Sun)
Uíbh Fhailí v Fear Manach
14.02.2010 (Sun)
Loch Garman v Uíbh Fhailí
07.03.2010 (Sun)
Uíbh Fhailí v Ros Comáin
14.03.2010 (Sun)
Sligeach v Uíbh Fhailí
21.03.2010 (Sun)
Uíbh Fhailí v Aontroim
27.03.2010 (Sat)
An Cabhán v Uíbh Fhailí

11.04.09 (Sun)
Uíbh Fhailí v An Lú
No unpatriotic shopping trip to Enniskillen for the Faithful County so!! :lol:

Overall this is quite kind - as was mentioned, four home games again and only the one game under lights, where our record is utterly atrocious. Wexford, Fermanagh and Antrim are probably the three games that we most wanted at home and we got two of them, so that's decent too. Hopefully we'll make a decent stab at promotion this year now.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Based on last year, Antrim and Sligo are ahead of us while arguments could be made that we are still behind Fermanagh, Wexford and even Roscommon. Maybe I am being over negative but I think that staying up in both codes is realistically the most we can hope for. The footballers have more scope to improve from last year, so out of the two they would be the more likely to do better than just staying up, especially with the harder games at home. I hope that they can push for promotion but I can just not see it at this point. Lets hope I am wrong.

With the hurlers its a totally different scenario altogether where staying up would be deemed a success. The first two fixtures on paper look very tough but if the Qualifier game showed us anything last year its that Cork are far from the force they were. We have also done well enough in recent times against them in the league. A shock could be on the cards here! The Kilkenny and Tipp games will be very tough and damage limitation will be the order of the day but all of the others are far from lost causes. A couple of wins might just be enough to stay up and we are well capable of that.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Kevin
All Star

Re: Offaly's 2010 NFL Fixtures - Provisional

Post by Kevin »

bula bula wrote:Based on last year, Antrim and Sligo are ahead of us while arguments could be made that we are still behind Fermanagh, Wexford and even Roscommon. Maybe I am being over negative but I think that staying up in both codes is realistically the most we can hope for. The footballers have more scope to improve from last year, so out of the two they would be the more likely to do better than just staying up, especially with the harder games at home. I hope that they can push for promotion but I can just not see it at this point. Lets hope I am wrong.

With the hurlers its a totally different scenario altogether where staying up would be deemed a success. The first two fixtures on paper look very tough but if the Qualifier game showed us anything last year its that Cork are far from the force they were. We have also done well enough in recent times against them in the league. A shock could be on the cards here! The Kilkenny and Tipp games will be very tough and damage limitation will be the order of the day but all of the others are far from lost causes. A couple of wins might just be enough to stay up and we are well capable of that.
I can see where you are coming from. I hope to find that we now have a manager that will not settle for good enough. I think his influence will make a dramatic difference in our fortunes. Fingers crossed for a progressive and spirited campaign.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Tullamore was kind to us last year, but the away form was dreadful so thankful for the home games at least. Theres little to suggest that we can win any of the 3 away games at the moment. However Cribban talked after the Wexford defeat how Offaly would need to bulk up and do some serious training along the lines of what Kildare have been up to. So at least he knows what needs to be done but whether or not we have enough good players cabable of the sort of effort that will be required remains to be seen. I'd be cautiously (very cautiously!) optimistic.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

O'Byrne Cup draw 2010

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Laois v DIT
Kildare v UCD
Carlow v Athlone IT
Wicklow v Louth
Dublin v Wexford
Longford v Meath
Kilkenny v Offaly
Westmeath v DCU

First round matches on 10th January ’10, Second round on 17th Jan. First named at home.

LEINSTER U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
First round
(1) Offaly v Carlow
(3) Louth v Wexford
(5) Wexford v Kildare
(7) Wicklow v Longford
Quarter-finals
(2) Winners 1 v Kilkenny
(4) Winners 3 v Dublin
(6) Winners 5 v Meath
(8) Winners 7 v Laois

LEINSTER MINOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
First Round
(1) Wicklow v Wexford
(2) Carlow v Westmeath
(3) Louth v Laois
(4) Kildare v Dublin
(5) Offaly v Longford
(6) Meath v Kilkenny
Losers Section
(7) Losers 5 v Loser 1 (ie loser
of Wicklow v Wexford)
(8) Winner 7 v Loser 2 = (A)
(9) Loser 4 v Loser 3
(10) Winner 9 v Loser 6 = (B)
Quarter-finals
Winner 5 v Winner 6
Winner 3 v Winner 1
Winner A v Winner 2
Winner 4 v Winner B
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

A nice handy kickabout for our senior footballers for their first game of the year. I wonder how many of our massive support will travel to this one? Im guessing around 19.