Will Rhode Retain Dowling?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
seamroga
Senior

Will Rhode Retain Dowling?

Post by seamroga »

Remember last year Rhode won all their championship games by at least eight points and seldom conceded a goal?. So what's up now. Granted they never looked like losing against Ferbane and Shamrocks, but still they didn't have the swagger of last year. And once again they have failed to beat Tullamore. Part of me feels they will turn on the style when they run out the tunnel at O'Connor Park and face a win-or-bust situation. However, I can't help wondering if their confidence was severely dented by their unfortunate experience against Portlaoise in the Leinster Club Championship when it was brought home to them that maybe they weren't as good as everyone thought. If they meet Tullamore or even St Brigid's later in the year they will have to roll up their sleeves but I still they they will hold onto the cup mainly because Edenderry are no longer capable of mounting a serious challenge.

Bogman
All Star

No problem

Post by Bogman »

I think Rhode'll stroll the county championship again.

It's a pity that Barry Malone got injured against Shamrocks and Niall McNamee is supposed to have Gilmores Groin but otherwise they're at full strength. Roy Malone scored a fabulous goal in that game and seems to be in fine form. They're a young team and they can only get better.

When the county panellists get over their Offaly disappointments and focus on the club knock-out matches they should start re-producing last year's form.

If there was a parish team there and they had the St. Brigids lads with them the combination would be some team. There'd be a Leinster Club in that Rhode/St. Brigids team for sure.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

County Championship

Post by Lone Shark »

From a strictly selfish point of view I hope Rhode don't win - because if Rhode put together a good run in this, and then manage to stay involved in Leinster for a while, which is far from beyond them, Niall McNamee will end up playing on that injured leg for another calendar year.

No ill will to the Rhode lads here or anywhere, but for his and the county's sake I'd prefer to see them knocked out by september so he can go under the knife and be done with it and begin rehabilitation.

Incidentally I wouldn't like to see the footballers going down the same road as the hurlers with one club becoming dominant. I'm not sure the Birr thing is great for Offaly hurling, and with the underage supply lines Rhode look to have in place, they are in a great position to dominate from now until the end of the decade at least. Likewise the Rhode players have got plenty of exposure, and are very well known in county terms. Maybe if Brigid's, Ballycumber or Tullamore got a crack at a game or two in Leinster we might see a couple of their players step up and freshen up the county panel next year.

However that's all what I'd like to see happen - what I think will happen is another matter. I think that deep down the only side in Offaly that will go out on the field against Rhode without fear is Clara. And with Daly gone to Lucan, Deehan in America, at least for the moment, and still no sign of Marius Stones coming back (anyone know anything?) they don't really seem to have all their ducks in a row, which would be vital. I think they can beat Rhode, but that's a very different matter to saying they will beat Rhode.

Ultimately I expect Rhode to win, with only Clara getting within six points of them. Ballycumber are still my dark horses though. The only team in Offaly with a forward line with as many consistent scorers, albeit without a flagship like Niall.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

"I think that deep down the only side in Offaly that will go out on the field against Rhode without fear is Clara."

You could never say that Edenderry would fear Rhode.Ever.

Lone Shark
All Star

Rhode

Post by Lone Shark »

Perhaps fear was the wrong word to use - it's not like Ferbane and Brigid's would "fear" them either, but ultimately they'd struggle to muster up the belief going into a close finish. 90% of this Clara team have beaten Rhode in a big knockout game - the Edenderry and Tullamore teams that did this are completely changed since then.

Either Edenderry have ridiculous belief in themselves or they'd be exactly the same as Ferbane or any other side. It's a long time since ye've beaten any of the top four or five sides in the county, let alone Rhode. I understand the local thing plays a big part, but essentially you still need something to base belief on. I know ye have a scatter of lads still there with county medals, but equally ye've a few lads there who probably haven't beaten Rhode at any level since about Under 14.

At the risk of raising your ire further, it's moot anyway, because it would only be a factor in the event of a close finish. I know ye have some good players, and we're in agreement about ye're potential, but speaking as a bookmaker you're always happy to lay sides with potential. You'll have collected many times before the day you have to pay out. A quarter final with Rhode might be that day, but I'd say Rhode by eight points plus is much more likely than an Edenderry win. Sorry.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I can see where you are coming from.hopefully by the end of the championship Edenderry can at least lay claim to been one of the the top four or five teams in the county, maybe taking a scalp along the way.

Ye can never rule out any possibilities though.Championship is a totally different animal and anything can happen.

Lone Shark
All Star

Edenderry

Post by Lone Shark »

True Red wrote:Ye can never rule out any possibilities though.Championship is a totally different animal and anything can happen.
Hopefully - for the same reasons as I outlined above, (lest anyone accuse me of being anti-Rhode!!) I would like to see Edenderry win in the event of the quarter final layout working out that way, but truth be told I remain sceptical.

Actually in terms of Offaly football, Edenderry is another club I'd love to see have a shot at Leinster - there's a lot of players who could come on in leaps and bounds for the experience, and it is ridiculous that a club with as big a catchment as Edenderry provides the sub goalie to the Offaly senior panel and no-one else.

One of these days yet True Red you'll turn me into a believer.... :D