Rhode vs Shamrocks

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Rhode vs Shamrocks

Post by Lone Shark »

So what's the verdict? Shamrocks seems as well equipped as anyone to take Rhode out, they've a few different scorers, they've a good range of tigerish enough backs and they have the memory of beating them relatively recently, not to mention having drawn with them earlier this season. Rhode don't look quite as potent to me with Niall Darby and Padraig Sullivan out of the equation and while they're still the best team in it, you'd have to think that they might have plenty to do this weekend.

I still expect Rhode to come through, but it should be a decent one. Rhode by four for me.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyman08
All Star

Re: Rhode vs Shamrocks

Post by offalyman08 »

P Sullivan is home today

Extra time
Junior B

Post by Extra time »

is derek molloy suspended??

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

its hard to see by rhode in this one ,they have far to much experiance and know how to slip up at this stage .even with sullivan and darby missing they have the better balance of the 2 teams .expect shamrocks to stay in it for 40 minutes or so with rhode pulling away to win by 4 or 5 points .
great history hoping for a better future

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Shamrocks by 2.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

I'd expect Rhode to win by 4-5 points as they are the better balanced side even without Darby, Sullivan and Kilmurry (a big doubt). Niall is due a big game and could destroy Neville this time especially if its a dry day. An Rod ABU.
Be careful out their

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Super perforamce from Rhode in the second half, a great team display outscoring Shamrocks 3-08 to 0-02.
Be careful out their

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Shams by name and Shams by nature!

A despicable performance, pathetic, and suffice to say they will struggle to stay in Senior.
Nigel Dunne, Ward all hid. They played pure stupid football.
Rhode are a serious outfit, and Nialler took some harsh punishment, but was the starman. Paschal put in a storming effort around the middle, along with unheralded Glen OConnell, and young Coffey who picked up all the breaks. Eoghan Byrne had his best game for a long time too.
They have serious problems with their goalie, as soon as the high ball was kicked he came off his line with no need to, or chance of making it.

Rhode to win by 4 points in final, but Hawks will push them!
Shamrocks, I dont know, at least 8 of that team can forget it, and I include Thomas Coughlan in that. Terrible effort from a once fine prospect.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It's looking for all the world like Rhode will be our reps in Leinster again this year and at the moment they look to be going really well - however it's a really tough draw, they won't be getting anything easy. Right now it looks like Moorefield and Portlaoise would both have to be beaten on the way to a final, where one would presume that the Dublin champions (Kilmacud still hanging on in there, scraped past Ballymun last week) will be waiting.

I didn't make this game since I was at the Belmont hurling instead obviously enough, but while I've heard nothing but castigation of Shamrocks' efforts (or lack thereof) it still has to be said that it's a very impressive scoreline from a Rhode point of view. The engine is clearly ticking along nicely.

I guess this could also result in Shamrocks re-evaluating their own business model. They're in real danger of letting a good group of players slip on into their later years without securing the big prize.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toby
Junior C

Post by Toby »

Big let down this game. Was hoping for another epic between these sides like '05 and '07. Unfortunately it was miles from that. Rhode will be flattered by the final scorling scoring i think 2.3 in the last 10 minutes when Shamrocks players seemed to completely give in and not bother fighting for ball or picking up players.

Rhode while some are saying are flying it, I hold my reservations. They will win the county final but wont do well in Leinster. Half forward line is quiet poor, Midfield always does well in Offaly championship but struggles against the likes of Kildare and Dublin outfits. Of the team i think there are weak spots at centre back, Midfield and half forward line.

As for Shamrocks, there didnt seem to be any team gelling or spirit. a few lads playing very much as individuals and Rhode had that prepared for excellently. Barry Mooney and young Mollen were big losses but this team need to start getting on as a unit or forget about it. A waste of good talented players. I was very suprised to see them not bother in the end and show a real lack of pride and effort.

Next up Rovers and Clara, would be great to see Rovers win but id imagine Clara should be a better team.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Georgio1 wrote:Rhode to win by 4 points in final, but Hawks will push them!
Are Clara already through to the final ???

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Mighty Pair O' Hands wrote:
Georgio1 wrote:Rhode to win by 4 points in final, but Hawks will push them!
Are Clara already through to the final ???
Indeed they are! :P