How'd Rhode and Tullamore go?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Not being around the midlands during the week these midweek games are a hoor to get to. Anyone at it?

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Rhode 1-13 Tellamore 2-10.

Rhode came back from 2-9 to 0-6pts down 10 mins into the second half to earn a draw.

HairyHole
Intermediate

Draw Match

Post by HairyHole »

It ended up all square

Tullamore 2-10
Rhode 1-13

Not a bad match played in good conditions in Edenderry.

Tullamore got the better of the first half and were leading at halftime by 1-7 to 4 points.Their wing forwards capatilised on a lot of breaking ball at midfield and the deilivey into the full forward line was quick and intelligent. Rhode on the other hand looked flat footed and devoid of interest for the 1st half . High balls were consistently kicked in on top of Nial Macs head where Tullamore always had two markers on him. Pascal and Roy Malone were anonymous for the first half and the only one that looked anyway interested was our CHB David Bannon.

On the restart Rhode brought it back to 4 points and then disaster struck with Tullamores fist attack of the half, a high ball in that decieved young Darby I think , it bounced in fronted of him , striaght over his head into one of the Tullamore full forwad line who stuck it in the back of the net with only Masterson (the Rhode goalie to beat).

At this stage it looked as if Tullamore were going ro run out handy winners as Rhode hadn't really showed any sort of fight.I think (and I could be wrong) that it was around this stage of the match that Shane Sullivan was moved back to full back and he made a big impact there. In a reversal of the 1st half Rhode took over at midfiled and won nearly every break for the next 20 minutes.We chipped away at the lead and with about 8 minutes left , Pascal scored a wonder goal from about 25 yards out to put only 3 points between the team. Rhode then managed another point from play and a free to bring the margin back to a point but with about 2 minutes left Tullamore were awarded a 14 yard free and the margin was back to 2 . Rhode replied quicky with 2 more points and with the game about 2 minutes in injury time the ref blew for the draw.

It was probably the fairest result on the night but I would thiink that Rhode would be the happier of the 2 teams given that Tullamore held the lead for 99% of the game.

Lone Shark
All Star

Tellamore

Post by Lone Shark »

On the contrary, I'd say Tellamore are thrilled with that. Guaranteed spot in the quarters, which was far from certain if they didn't win here.

They do seem to be pulling it together now though. They're starting to put more scores on the board, which was always what let them down - losing matches to teams that were scoring 0-12 and the like. I had them picked out at the start of the year as a live threat to Rhode and Clara. Needless to say they let me down for two points by losing to Shamrocks before proving this.... :evil:

HairyHole
Intermediate

Post by HairyHole »

Well from the point of view that the result didn't really matter to Rhode i suppose in that we were already through . i think they will be delighted to have gotten the draw having played so badly in the first half..

Lone Shark how are the other groups shaping up .As it stand do you know the Q/F make up ?

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

LS, is that 7/1 available about Tullamore now?
I'd say on the noght a draw was a fair enough result - really was a game of 40mins and 20 mins. Shane Sullivan was moved to full back before half time and probably settled the ship for Rhode.
On the whole what seemed glaringly obvious to me was the lack of fitness/interest with the 9 county panalists. At this level you would expect them to be outshining their "megre" clubmen. In the first half James Keane and to a lesser extent John Kenny showed a bit of why they were on the panel. Gearoid O' Grady, Sean Martin and Michael Hoey were impressive for Tullamore.
Scorers were
Tullamore: Paul Rouse 0-6 (5F),Shane Dooley 1-0,Niall Stack 0-1,James Keane 0-1,Sean Martin 0-1,Michael Hoey 0-1.
Rhode: Niall McNamee 0-5 (3F),David Hope0-4 (4F),Pascal Kellaghan 1-0,David Bannon 0-1,Roy Malone 0-1,Paul Glennon 0-1,Garret Hickey 0-1.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

They still wouldn't be far off 7/1 for all that - 11/2 maybe. Fact remains that it's not like Rhode would have gone out if they lost here.

County players mightn't stand out in that game as much because the standard of average club player in those two clubs would probably be the highest in the county. It's not like the smaller teams that invariably have to field a couple of very limited players, these sides have county representatives at various levels throughout the pitch. Even the fact that the three lads you picked for Tullamore would have been strong at all against Ferbane shows how many different players can step up. (O'Grady did fine, but Hoey was very quiet apart from one good point in that game, and Martin may not have even started if memory serves....)

Regarding the other county players, Cathal Daly hasn't played well for Tullamore for a while, and I still don't see him as a centre back despite all his own personal belief that that's what he is, Keane and Kenny and good players either coming into/past their best, but both are makeshift midfielders, while on the Rhode side, the gap between "county panellist" and basic club player is very little.

If you swapped Barry Malone, Alan Mac and Paschal on the county panel for Cassidy, Cole and Hickey would we really be that much poorer?

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

"If you swapped Barry Malone, Alan Mac and Paschal on the county panel for Cassidy, Cole and Hickey would we really be that much poorer?"

in my opinion Offaly would be poorer.Cassidy got a roasting last night from Michael hoey.I regard cole as a good footballer with tonnes of ability but he is a headless chicken who can get too involved with mouthing to the ref,opposition midfielders and eventually leads to him either getting yellow carded or worse sent off.Hickey is young and has plenty of potential but his time on the county panel is way off.
Paschal,Barry and Alan all have a solid few years experience for Offaly behind them and no matter anyone thinks,at inter county level this counts for a lot. The 3 boys you have mentioned would be lost if they were thrown into the inter county arena.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm surprised at Cassidy - I always rated him highly.

To be honest the example would have worked a lot better if I'd left out the Super - Barry and Paschal aren't really able for county any more, any more than Hickey or Cassidy would be - yet. The point I was going for was that the gap between reasonable and middling on teams like Rhode and Tullamore is very little.

A little bit of dramatics on my part perhaps though. :oops:

gaahead
Junior A

Post by gaahead »

how can you make that remark about Barry Malone - he is a class footballer who was never given a chance this year by Kilmurray - hopefully for offaly's sake he can get over this injury, stay injury free for a couple of years as he has loads to contribute to the county yet

Lone Shark
All Star

Barry Malone

Post by Lone Shark »

gaahead wrote:how can you make that remark about Barry Malone - he is a class footballer who was never given a chance this year by Kilmurray - hopefully for offaly's sake he can get over this injury, stay injury free for a couple of years as he has loads to contribute to the county yet
Barry was a class act back about five years ago before he travelled, and I'm convinced we would have won at least a Leinster if he stayed around - HOWEVER - he hasn't exactly been pulling up any trees since he came back, and a fine display in the county final last year aside, has done nothing to convince me that he'll reach that level again. He's had a few rough enough day's at the office as well, in particular against Portlaoise. He's a good skilled player yes, but if as I imagine from the reports he had to be switched out of full back last night, then he's clearly not the authoritive player that left for America.

For the record, I'm not saying it couldn't happen that he wouldn't have a golden Autumn to his career, or that I blame him for leaving - he was the poster child for burnout after all - but I just think cases of where a player is out for 2 years plus and gets back to top class are rare in the extreme.

I've heard rumours of Evans deciding to head travelling next year, and no doubt if that happens then the debate about the full back spot will be re-opened, but unless he picks things up a lot for the rest of this Rhode campaign, I'd be very worried about him as county full back.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Barry didn't start last night due to the knee injury that he picked up in the Shamrocks game. It looks like Rhode will be lucky to have him back at all this year.

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

LS who gave you the notion Barry was playing last night and had to be switched?. He's out with knee injury long term

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I hadn't heard about his knee injury at all - that's why I assumed that if Shane Sullivan was moved back, then whoever was full back was struggling, and if Barry was not centreback then he was most likely full.

Process of elimination in my head - that was all. I thought I would have heard on here if he had been injured.