IFC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
shovels
Junior B

Re: IFC

Post by shovels »

Were intermediate for a few years and struggling and decided to go Junior in 1996. Won the junior in ferbane that year and were intermediate since.

http://www.walshislandgaaclub.com/photo ... _team.html

http://www.walshislandgaaclub.com/

http://www.walshislandgaaclub.com/writt ... match.html

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The senior ‘B’ competition in hurling ran for five years between 1987 and 1991 inclusive, so I presume it was the same in football. I take it Hocker that Shannonbridge won that in 1991 if they were senior for the first time in 1992. Doon must have won it the year before then.

Hocker wrote:Walsh Island's last year in the senior championship was 1992, I remember cos it was Shannonbridge's first year in Senior (which they were beaten by Ferbane by 2 points in a playoff where the winner got into the semi final) and along the way they beat a Walsh Island team in which a certain Richie Connor was still playing!! The island were subsequently relegated that year... after that i don't know what happened them.
OffalyDub wrote:I'm only an Island blow-in, but seems to be 1988 was last year of true Senior Football. Bit of confusion as there was Senior 'B' championship back then, rather than Intermediate.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

I think Doon won the intermediate in 1989 and Senior B in 1991 POTH?
They beat Shannonbridge in the Junior 'A' final in 1987 after a replay.
Shannonbridge won Junior A in 1989, Lost Intermediate final to Brigids in 1990, Beat Ballycumer in Intermediate final in 1991...
Actually it was a fairly meteoric rise of that particular 'Bridge side as u will see from the following:

1987 - Junior Runners-up to Doon
1988 - Junior Semi finalists
1989 - Junior A Winners
1990 - Intermediate Runners-up
1991 - Intermediate Winners
1992 - Senior championship beaten by Ferbane in Playoff for Semi-Final spot
1993 - Senior championship beaten by Clara in 1st round
1994 - Senior finalists beaten by Ferbane by 2 points
1995 - Senior championship beaten by Tullamore in Quarter finals
1996 - Senior Champions Beat Tullamore in final :) :)

So in 7 years they went from junior champions to Senior champions, a fair feat in any man's language!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Cheers for that Hocker.

So that would mean that both Doon and Shannonbridge went senior for the first time in 1992, Doon as Senior 'B' winners and Shannonbridge as Intermediate winners, and that the Senior 'B' was done away with after 1991 in football, the same as it was in the hurling.
Hocker wrote:I think Doon won the intermediate in 1989 and Senior B in 1991 POTH?
They beat Shannonbridge in the Junior 'A' final in 1987 after a replay.
Shannonbridge won Junior A in 1989, Lost Intermediate final to Brigids in 1990, Beat Ballycumer in Intermediate final in 1991...
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.