Will there be relegation from SFC if Rhode win Intermediate?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hocker
All Star

Will there be relegation from SFC if Rhode win Intermediate?

Post by Hocker »

Just wondering what would happen in the event(Which is not too unlikely) of Rhode winning the Intermediate football championship?
Will Shannonbridge or Edenderry get a reprieve?
Surely Rhode, although their second team would probably get to a SFC semi-final at least, would not be permitted to have two teams playing senior?

Any thoughts??

Oceans 15
County player

Re: Will there be relegation from SFC if Rhode win Intermediate?

Post by Oceans 15 »

Hocker wrote:Just wondering what would happen in the event(Which is not too unlikely) of Rhode winning the Intermediate football championship?
Surely Rhode, although their second team would probably get to a SFC semi-final at least, would not be permitted to have two teams playing senior?

Any thoughts??

I don't think they would. They have lost a few to the senior team like Ronan Heavey who was their main scorer...They looked very limited on the bench against Shamrocks, not too many of their intermediates are good enough to make he step up.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Hocker wrote:Just wondering what would happen in the event(Which is not too unlikely) of Rhode winning the Intermediate football championship?

Any thoughts??
O no they won't be winning it out. They were poor against us and just won by 2. They only scored 4 points against Ballyfore. There will be no stopping Walsh Island this year and thats a fact. As for the Rhode intermediates getting to SFC semi......no hope they wouln't win a match at senior level

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

My understanding is that if a Senior club wins the IFC, relegation cannot be forced, unless there is a stated aim to reduce the number of teams at senior level. I'm not certain of this though.

As was pointed out though, Rhode will not win this. They are 12/1 shots at least in my book, and that's being conservative. I wouldn't back them at anything under 33/1 myself. Doon will beat them by four or five, and will in turn be big underdogs against D'Island.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

MF35
Intermediate

Post by MF35 »

....and no mention of Ryanaghs here at all - i would'nt be writing them off!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

MF35 wrote:....and no mention of Ryanaghs here at all - i would'nt be writing them off!!
Obviously I'd be delighted to see them taking Walsh Island in the semi final being neighbours and all, but based on what I saw at the weekend, they're a long way off the standard needed. I don't think they'll make the mistake of playing Gary Mahon so far from goals again, but even so, they struggle to win ball around the middle and there appears to be a fair degree of, let's say "loyalty" towards some of their players in terms of substitution decisions etc.

I'm not sure when Diarmuid Horan is due back but obviously he'd help matters, but right now they appear to have a lot of ground to make up.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.