Minor footballers on Saturday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Minor footballers on Saturday

Post by Lone Shark »

I have to be honest, of all the underage teams Offaly were fielding in 2005, this was the one I expected least from - but they dug out a narrow win over the Wasters which was great to see, and with that kind of character could give a very strong Meath team socks of it on Saturday.

I hope they are all ready for it, but I have a few questions I'd like to throw out to the knowledgeable souls on the board -

(1) Is Ross Brady suspended? I don't know what suspension he got, or even what he did because it was off the ball, but if he only got four weeks he should be clear - anyone know? True Red?

(2) Did Matthew Boland join the panel after - I heard he was asked, but I'm not sure what the response was?

(3) What can we do to take on Tomás O'Connor in midfield? For those of you who don't know, this was the 6'4 monster that destroyed us in the league game in the spring.

I'm looking forward to it though - there's great heart in some of these lads, and they're a joy to watch for that reason alone.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Ross misses this game against Meath.He was suspended for one inter county game.He was still eligible to play for the club in the meantime but he injured his knee in a junior championship match which would have put him out anyway if he wasnt suspended.If they get over Meath he will be back.Huge loss for the minors either way

Lone Shark
All Star

Ross Brady

Post by Lone Shark »

That is a huge loss.

It's hard to see them getting by Meath really, but the nature of the team is such that they could take out good teams. I've said all along the back line is very strong, full back line in particular, so if they can keep scores down and keep goals out they should be able to stay in touch.

Unfortunately the forwards don't really have an awful lot of scoring to support Casey - certainly not in the absence of Lynam and Brady, probably the next best two. But if Casey can have a hot say, then we could edge a low scoring game. Twill take a lot of things to go right though.

The reward for winning this game is huge all the same - shot at a Leinster Title and a guaranteed All Ireland quarter. Twould be a great one to win.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

would be a tremendous lift for the county also.Things are way down at the moment (football wise)and this team reaching a leinster final would give things a lift of some sort.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Is this game in Mullingar? What time? It'll be a cross country dash to get hurling in too I suppose!
It would be fantastic to see the minors winning this game, I didn't realise that winning it would mean a qtr final spot as well as a shot at Leinster. I can only assume that any Meath team at this level will be hard to beat.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Shouldn't be too much of a panic - minor game is at either 2 or half two - I'll have to check that - either way it's well makeable. Nearly too far apart in fact.

Being honest this Meath team I think are the best minor outfit in Leinster this year, at least based on U-16 a couple of years ago and minor league this year. Their backs are fine if unspectacular, O'Connor in midfield is a monster (was Meath U-21 midfielder as well this year) and they have a few forwards in both lines that can score points. Quite the contrast with ourselves really.

They will be hard beat, but if the score can be kept down such that 12 points or so might win, then we have every chance. If it takes 15 or more to win it, then unfortunately there's only one winner and it ain't our lads.

gaahead
Junior A

Post by gaahead »

LS - I'm pretty sure I saw the minor game fixed at 3.30

Percy Sledgehammer
Senior

Post by Percy Sledgehammer »

According to Aertel.....

SATURDAY JULY 2
LEINSTER MINOR FOOTBALL C'SHIP SEMI
Offaly ---- ---- Meath 2.00
Mullingar

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Match is fixed for 2 pm in Mullingar.
Our lads have their work cut out, but if heart and spirit is to go by then we have a chance.
I hope the Management see sense and play Guinan on the half back line - he is great to give it his all. Horan is solid but not good if brought out the field !.
Midfield is our problem- if we can break even here we will be in trouble.
Keepin Darby on the half forward line is a mistake- he is more comfortable on the half back line.
On a positive note........... Offaly U16 did beat them (Meath) 2 years ago in Tullamore in extra time and had Molloy From Rahan sent off during the extra time, but that was 2 years ago and i fear we havnt improved much in those 2 years.
I still think its one where we can surprise Meath !
"Sorry for being right so often"

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

By the way Boland pulled out of the panel himself- I think he is gone to Wales to work for the summer.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Barracuda wrote:I hope the Management see sense and play Guinan on the half back line - he is great to give it his all. Horan is solid but not good if brought out the field !
Complete agreement there. Dalton, Guinan and Grehan would be my choice - Horan is a full back, in the very traditional style, and I don't like to see him pulled all over the place. The one I'd like to see back into the backline though is Stephen Egan - I'd prefer to see him taking the right corner.
Barracuda wrote:Midfield is our problem- if we can break even here we will be in trouble.
If we break even here we should win - however there doesn't really seem to be much chance of that. Brady is a huge loss, so we're probably looking at any two from Knight (not physical enough), Larkin (not on form), Gorman (very slow) and Kavanagh. I'd take 40% here to be honest.
Barracuda wrote:Keepin Darby on the half forward line is a mistake- he is more comfortable on the half back line.
Funnily enough I like him there - just not centre forward, where the ball is over his head the whole time. he's very lively and tenacious, but I wouldn't go as far as to say he's tight. I'd like to see him at 10 picking up breaks and supporting like Lynam did against the Wasters.
Barracuda wrote:On a positive note........... Offaly U16 did beat them (Meath) 2 years ago in Tullamore in extra time and had Molloy From Rahan sent off during the extra time, but that was 2 years ago and i fear we havnt improved much in those 2 years.
I still think its one where we can surprise Meath !
Let's face it, all positive notes in Offaly GAA are qualified this year, so we'll take what we can get!

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

For midfield they really should consider Rory Connor. We need to crowd it out and compete like hell for every break
If they play Grehan and Guinan on the wings this would give us more than a fair chance of winning breaks in the midfield area as both attack when given the chance.
Kavanagh is better to hold the centre or youd need a bus to get him back there if he goes forward.Darby should be hammering in for those breaks too.
Set up Casey and Mulhall as much as possible with quick ball into space for them to take on the backs.
There ya are- someone tell Phil to read our discussion !

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Barracuda wrote:For midfield they really should consider Rory Connor. We need to crowd it out and compete like hell for every break
If they play Grehan and Guinan on the wings this would give us more than a fair chance of winning breaks in the midfield area as both attack when given the chance.
Kavanagh is better to hold the centre or youd need a bus to get him back there if he goes forward.Darby should be hammering in for those breaks too.
Set up Casey and Mulhall as much as possible with quick ball into space for them to take on the backs.
There ya are- someone tell Phil to read our discussion !
Tis too simple when you put it like that. I can't take any more optimism. It gets crushed too easily.

Does all make sense though.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Well there ya go- Phil must have read it after all !.

He played flannery up front and he did a great job in unsettling the Meath full back line and got a crucial point too in the 2nd half. Rory in Midfield was a good call, untill he got tired towards the end, and then bringing on Kavanagh to counter O rourke in the middle was also a good solid move - even if it was a bit late in happening.

They set up Casey each time and he delivered the result.
The aim of this team should be to work their asses off and set up the finishers as much as possible, suppose you could say that for any team but our seniors dont seem to know too much about that.

All in all a Good all-round performance from a limited team - if we are honest about it.

Horan did well as did Larkin on the full back line.
Grehan was solid as ever and for the 2nd game in a row his man was sent off! and i think 1 or 2 others were booked for hard tackles on him (Same as Westmeath game i think - Shark youre the stats man ??)

Dalton -while looking slow at times put in good work too.
Knight was solid on the other wing.
Testament to the half back line- Meath put 3 new players in there in the 2 nd half.

Rory was great in the middle and got good support from Mahon. However I would not like to see Mahon trying for too many scores- he should try to find the finishers up front instead of blasting wide (one mac is enough... only joking)

I thought Darby was quiet and I still think he is not a natural half forward- like in the 2nd half when he hesitated and the free was given against him- sign of a lad in unfamilar territory. None the less he worked hard.

Duffy was a suprise and showed more mobility that i thought he had.
Gorman did OK but will do well to keep his place is Ross Brady comes back in.
Casey was brill and got a great supply of ball which he puit to good use.
Mulhall worked hard too.

Well at least we have a team in a final and shure they are in with a chance. I hope they get Laois.............
"Sorry for being right so often"

Lone Shark
All Star

Offaly 0-13 Meath 1-9

Post by Lone Shark »

Absolutely bloody fantastic lads. Quite simply fantastic.

I’ll be the first to admit that coming into this game I wasn’t hugely optimistic – I thought that O’Connor for Meath would be too hard to stop, that Meath had too many different forwards capable of scoring, and that in the absence of Brady and Lynam we’d be too dependant on Ken Casey. It’s a long time since I’ve taken such joy out of being so wrong.

It remains to be seen whether this generation of young players will reach the heights scaled by Offaly minor teams in 1964 and 1989, or whether they contain the same level of individual talent, but what is beyond question after two one point victories eked out in difficult circumstances is that these are a group of lads who are doing the county proud, and who are playing with as much fire and commitment as any county team ever has. Saturday’s performance was controlled, disciplined and measured, but at the same time was a great display of fifteen lads willing to go to any lengths for one another and because of this you couldn’t praise them highly enough.

Regarding the game, there was a strong breeze in Mullingar, more across the field than down the pitch, but it still favoured our lads. A half time lead was needed, and although from the first score by John Knight the lead was never relinquished, Meath were continually keeping in touch. Casey and Darby were linking up well in attack, but a pernickety ref penalising everything gave Meath a good few frees and scores that they didn’t look like creating from play. The ref was equally finicky on both sides, but that made the task of defenders like Diarmuid Horan who received an early yellow no less easy.

In attack though, Offaly’s passing and movement of the ball was excellent – and the shooting – or to be more accurate the shot selection – was thoughtful and deliberate. By half time Offaly had eight points on the board with only two wides. In part this was down to some good accurate kicks, but above all it was a reflection of how the forwards only took good high percentage shots, but at the same time didn’t sacrifice directness or overplay. If only our seniors could learn how to manage this fine balance.

Four points up at the break and you felt the game was very closely balanced – but the lads put themselves in the driving seat over the next ten minutes. A couple of chances were missed, but Casey and Flannery scores put us six points to the good, before the inevitable Meath fightback came. In a five minute spell the Meath centre forward Chris Kelly took four scores from play and placed balls, and once again the game was anybody’s. A point from Treacy left things a little safer at 0-11 to 0-8 in front, and then once again Offaly were left as favourites as Conor Staunton, Meath wing forward and a very good player received his second yellow for a high tackle on Gerry Grehan. The only danger was the inevitable “levelling” decision which always happens in these situations, and sure enough it came when a Meath sub was downed “around” the penalty area, and the spot kick was given. To be fair to say it was outside from my vantage point on the terrace halfway up the pitch is being a bit cheeky, but in truth the Ref was half way up the pitch as well, so it was contentious to say the least. Kelly buried the penalty well, leaving Offaly having to dig deep and win the game a second time. The extra man was both a big factor and was being well used though, and Offaly took the lead only to be dragged back to level by a great score from Meath sub Alan Farrell. (Definitely Meath management will have to ask themselves some questions over that one – he scored 2 good points in fifteen minutes, while five of the starting six forwards didn’t score). But much like Ross Brady with his monster free the last day out, this time it was Rory Connor who stepped up and scored from range – 40m being almost as big a kick into the wind – and the team held on.

Regarding the post match controversy, three minutes were signalled and only two were played – correct. Also with Offaly having made a substitution during that three minutes, I would sympathise and say that Meath probably deserved another ninety seconds of play. I don’t think they would have got anything, since in general Offaly’s defence was very tight and Meath didn’t look to have the wherewithal a man down to create anything, but even so it was a legitimate complaint. Enough of them have gone against us though. We’ll take it.

Team and Analysis:

Dean Bracken (Erin Rovers)

Couldn’t do anything about the goal, and did anything he had to do well. Kept most of his kickouts away from O’Connor which was no mean feat.

Keith Higgins (Tubber)

Defensively in control all day, although he did give away possession a couple of times. Never gave his man a sniff though.

David Larkin (Doon)

Marking Shane O’Rourke, who is big but not quick suited him down to the ground. O’Rourke never looked like getting inside him, and Larkin was well able to compete with him for the hard ball. Might be tested more by a nippier player though.

Diarmuid Horan (St. Rynagh’s)

Harshly yellow carded earlier on, and you could see how he was conscious of standing off as a result. Still defended really well, and never looked like being breached.

John Knight (Gracefield) (0-1)

Didn’t do an awful lot of pushing forward after his opening score, but played solidly as well, and linked up well while bringing the ball out of defence. I wouldn’t have expected him to find a niche at wing back in this team, but he has and is doing it well.

Richie Dalton (Edenderry)

He’s a fine player, but he’s really got to cut out the mistakes. His blockdown led to the goal against Westmeath, and here a sloppy pickup off the ground in space gave Meath a tap over free in the first half, and his giving out to the ref who was clearly not taking any chat turned another difficult free into an easy one. His power and physique are huge assets, and his general play is stylish and skilled, but I wouldn’t have been happy with his contribution on Saturday, and I would hope he’ll be able to cut out those concentration lapses going forward.

Gerry Grehan (Ferbane)

Was a little bit loose on Conor Staunton early on, and left him take a few passes in space, but tightened up well as the game went on, and did his usual thing of playing as much like a rugby seven as a Gaelic one – running off the shoulder, supporting the man in possession and always there or thereabouts when the ball breaks. As expected, played well as the free man once the red card was issued. (Regarding Barracuda’s point about two lads now sent off against him, it is a lot to do with how he’s not very big and he runs at lads often drawing high tackles. Takes bravery, but he does it well)

Conor Mahon (Kilcormac)

Had a thankless task trying to compete with O’Connor for high fielding, and was second best to him in that regard. Showed well to take ball off the defenders, but although he certainly didn’t let us down or do anything wrong, he didn’t really do that much in general play. Will be touch and go if he holds his spot.

Rory Connor (Walsh Island) (0-1)
A fine performance from the lad. Great passing into the forwards, very mobile around the middle, did his defensive work well, and a great winning score. Super display.

Niall Darby (Rhode) (0-1)

I still think 10 is the ideal shirt for the wee lad, and he had a good game here playing the busybody link man role. His pace is a threat, he’s good at gobbling up breaks, and he linked up well with the inside players, in particular Casey. Did his share of tracking too.

Padraig Duffy (Gracefield)

A good centre forwards display, linking up, defending from the front and supporting the man in possession. Low key in a lot of what he did, but quite effective.

James Gorman (Kilcormac) (0-1)

As a third midfielder dropping back he does contribute, but as was mentioned earlier, you’d have to assume Ross Brady would be equally adept at this role and would contribute more from general play. Got a good point early on, but the game still passes him by a little.

William Mulhall (Walsh Island) (0-1)

Took one great point, but for a corner forward who’s sole job is scoring, I’m not sure he’s doing enough. He’s too easily dominated by the defender, and needs to do much better with the 50/50 stuff. I’m not sure what else is available for selection, but I’m not sure he’s justifying his inclusion.

Kieran Flannery (St. Rynagh’s) (0-1)

Not far off man of the match was this guy. The hurling instinct of play the ball quickly was evident throughout, and he showed for the ball well and caused problems with his quick layoffs. Drew frees with his movement and created good chances with intelligent passing, and did the real first line of defence thing to a tee. I hadn’t seen him play with the big ball before, but he’s well able to.

Ken Casey (St. Brigid’s) (0-6 – 3 frees)

Much more like the Ken Casey that’s terrorising senior clubs in Group 2 of the senior championship. Won ball well, good shooting and deadly from frees. Tracked back when he needed to as well. He’ll be hard stopped at this rate.

Subs:

Gerry Treacy (St. Vincent’s) (0-1) for Gorman

As you’d expect was lively, tenacious, and scored a good point to boot. A great lad to have to spring off the bench.

David Kavanagh (Tubber) for Mulhall

Brought in to shore up the middle near the end, and did contribute in that regard.

Stephen Kidney (??) for Flannery

I’ve lost my programme, so unfortunately I can’t recall what club this lad is. Came on to provide fresh legs, and never really got the chance to do anything with the ball.

Brian Kelly (Tubber) for Darby

To be honest this was a time wasting substitution at the end. Good to see at least one Offaly football management team is capable of these things. Only on for about thirty seconds I’d say. At 16 his day will come though.

[/b]