Football Draw

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tar Man
Junior A

Football Draw

Post by Tar Man »

Anybody have any idea when the SFC Draw will be made?

doobane man
County player

Re: Football Draw

Post by doobane man »

The draw for Senior, Intermediate, and Junior A Football Quarter Finals takes place - after the final round of Junior A fixtures - in Gracefield tonight at approx 8.45pm.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

The Football Championship Draws
Senior Football:
First Draw–for semi-finalists: 2 of the 3 Group Winners are drawn as semi-finalists (Rhode, Tubber Clara)
Second draw- for quarter finalists: The remaining group winner and the 3 group runners-up are drawn for quarter-final pairings. Note: The group winner that failed to be drawn as a semi-finalist cannot meet the runner-up from its group (Group Winner, Shamrocks, Ferbane, Erin Rovers)
Third Draw- Relegation Round Robin: Shannonbridge, Edenderry, Gracefield
Intermediate Football:
Exact same rules and process apply
First Draw –for semi-finalists : Rhode, Raheen, Walsh Island (Rhode and Raheen top their respective groups by virtue of the result of the relevant group game with the runner-up in their group
Second Draw- for quarter finalists: Group Winner, Bracknagh, Doon, St Rynaghs
Third Draw- Relegation Round Robin: Ballyfore, Clonbullogue, Tullamore – Ballyfore finish bottom of Group 1 because of the result of the relevant game with the team on equal points.
Junior Football:
Exact same rules and process apply
First Draw–for semi-finalists: Kilcormac/Killoughy, Group 2 Winner (playing this evening), Cappincur
Second Draw- for quarter finalists: Group Winner, Daingean, Group 2 Runner-up (playing this evening), Durrow
Third Draw- Relegation Round Robin: Ballycumber, 4th Place in Group 2, Shamrocks

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Pity it's not in Edenderry, but otherwise all good! :P

I presume there is no seeding at semi final stage, e.g. if Shamrocks are drawn to play and beat Erin Rovers in a quarter final, they are then free to meet Rhode at that stage, or will they be kept apart till the final?

I've no recollection of this from last year, though I'm sure I should know. :oops:
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

Your assuption is 100% correct. Semi-final draw is an open draw.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Please God get us Ryanaghs in that draw tonight!!!!!!!! Theres a buzz around Bracknagh again after yesturdays result and the boys won't be lying down in the 1/4 final I can tell you. I assume the 1/4 finals will be on 21st/22nd/23rd of this month?? Anybody got any idea when they are to be played as I want to plan work around this fixture!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote:Please God get us Ryanaghs in that draw tonight!!!!!!!! Theres a buzz around Bracknagh again after yesturdays result and the boys won't be lying down in the 1/4 final I can tell you. I assume the 1/4 finals will be on 21st/22nd/23rd of this month?? Anybody got any idea when they are to be played as I want to plan work around this fixture!
?????? I know ye can't get Rhode and certainly Walsh Island should be the standout team, but I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to choose Rynaghs over Doon, while I certainly would consider Raheen to be much more beatable. A twelve point win over Tullamore and a two point loss to WI is no bad formline to be coming in with in my book.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

True LS but experience has thought me that Rynaghs are highly unpredictable. A full strength and focused Rynaghs team would win the intermediate but they are equally likely to turn up with only 15 or 16 players for a game and showing little interest (its happened before). Kilcormac are the same when it comes to football. Raheen hammered us in a mad game last year (we finished with 13) but this year we could beat them. End of the day its very hard to see past Walsh Island this year.

john locke
Junior A

Post by john locke »

bracknaghboy wrote:True LS but experience has thought me that Rynaghs are highly unpredictable. A full strength and focused Rynaghs team would win the intermediate but they are equally likely to turn up with only 15 or 16 players for a game and showing little interest (its happened before). Kilcormac are the same when it comes to football. Raheen hammered us in a mad game last year (we finished with 13) but this year we could beat them. End of the day its very hard to see past Walsh Island this year.
I Think ye ended up with 12 if memory serves correctly , but credit where its due Bracknagh have certainly turned it around from last years episode against Raheen
Sometimes you meet your destiny on the road you took to avoid it

summerbreeze
Junior B

Post by summerbreeze »

Hey, i heard the Draw for the senior football went as follows for anyone who hasn't heard yet:

Quarter finals - Ferbane v Erin Rovers
Tubber v Shamrocks

Semi finals - clara and rhode have gone through...

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

final CLARA and RHODE ??

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

Football Championship Draws
Senior
Semi/finals Rhode and Clara

Quarter/finals
Tubber (Group Winners) v Shamrocks
Ferbane v Erin Rovers

Relegation Playoff
Shannonbridge v Gracefield
Edenderry v Shanonbridge
Gracefield v Edenderry

Intermediate
Semi/finals Walsh Island and Rhode

Quarter/finals
Raheen (Group Winners) v St Rynaghs
Doon v Bracknagh

Relegation Playoff
Clonbullogue v Ballyfore
Tullamore v Ballyfore
Clonbullogue v Tullamore

Junior A
Semi/finals Cappincur and Kilcormac/Killoughey

Quarter/finals
Ferbane (Group Winners) v Daingean
Gracefield v Durrow

Relegation Playoff
Edenderry v Ballycumber
Shamrocks v Edenderry
Shamrocks v Ballycumber

Open Draw for all semi-finals

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Would it be safe to assume the quarter finals will be on 21st,22nd,23rd of this month??

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

bracknaghboy wrote:Would it be safe to assume the quarter finals will be on 21st,22nd,23rd of this month??
No - that would definitely not be a safe assumption. I believe that the 2 remaining rounds of the hurling group stages will be played this weekend (16th) and the following one (23rd) so the earliest date for quarter finals is the last weekend in August - and that's assuming that football is reaching semi-final stage before the Senior Hurling First Round Proper.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Five weeks off is a long time for teams that are straight into semi finals. I can see a few clubs struggling to hold things together over that time.

A couple of other things:

(1) I'm surprised it's changed from the relegation round robin system whereby the loser of the first game plays in the second match. The reason being that say (for example) that Shannonbridge beat Gracefield by 5 points in the first game - they then have no need or incentive to do the same against Edenderry - anything better than a five point defeat guarantees their survival. There is a real risk that a first round winner doesn't defend the win as much as they do a certain margin of defeat, which is a bit unfair to the team who loses the first match. I know that in any round robin there is a risk involved, but the system before was to have the first round loser play the second game, which made some sense - albeit there is some risk then of a contrived result in the final match. Maybe I don't know what I want here, but I'm interested as to the logic behind the switch.

(2) I remember a debate on this site earlier this year about Raheen being better than Rynaghs in the football after a big league win. I guess we'll see the truth pretty soon!

(3) I know that the master fixture list stuck with two week breaks all along - any reason why this was changed? Surely we knew that hurling was going to take longer in the new system?