Tulamore Intermediates

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Thereorthereabouts
County player

Tulamore Intermediates

Post by Thereorthereabouts »

Can someone clarify if Tullamore have pulled out of the Intermediate Championship altogether?

If so are they automatically relegated to Junior next year?
The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights

john locke
Junior A

Re: Tulamore Intermediates

Post by john locke »

Looks like nobody gives a flying fuck about this one , not much activity
Sometimes you meet your destiny on the road you took to avoid it

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

well according to the paper they just couldn't muster the players because of oxygen etc.... so they conceded it.... but they haven't been thrown out and are expected to field a team in the next round...

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

It's bollox they couldn't field a team. Don't they run 3 teams? Couldn't they grabbed a few of the 3rd team. So how does this affect the scoring average for their group?
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Group will have to be decided by playoffs if required, cant use scoring avgs.
If Kilclonfert can defeat Tullamore at the weekend they will be out anyway. Lets hope they are!

noodles
Junior A

Post by noodles »

Hopefully kilclonfert will beat Tullamore at the weekend, if it was a smaller club around the county they would be thrown out of the championship, typical county board bullshit, look after the big clubs at all cost, never mind the clubs who are trying to make an effort with a fraction of the pick they have :evil:
move the ball fast into the full forward line

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Have to ask one question here to all. If it was not Tullamore that was involved and it was a smaller club, would there be such a fuss over it and would everyone be coming along hoping that they lose? I doubt it very much but I am sure some will come on and claim otherwise. I am not saying they were in the right but a bit of a more balanced view on this would be welcome.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

it shouldnt come as any surprise bula bula.this is a anti tullamore site .lads come on here saying tullamore should be trown out and they havent a clue .this obsession with tullamore is not healthy lads .
great history hoping for a better future

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

noodles wrote:Hopefully kilclonfert will beat Tullamore at the weekend, if it was a smaller club around the county they would be thrown out of the championship, typical county board bullshit, look after the big clubs at all cost, never mind the clubs who are trying to make an effort with a fraction of the pick they have :evil:
In fairness I'd be hoping for Kilclonfert to win too, not because of any Tullamore thing but because it's hardly fair that they have to fight to get two points against a club and Walsh Island didn't have to so much as tie their boot laces to get the same. (I understand that this isn't WI's fault and that they probably would have won handily enough anyway, but that's not the point.)

However I don't think Tullamore are getting any special treatment here. They conceded a walkover, and if they do so again, they will be thrown out of the competition - the county board are following the rules, no more, no less. I agree it's appalling that they couldn't field a team, whether by promoting a few juniors or whatever, but the rules are being followed here, special treatment is not at issue.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Say then if Tullamore did promote lads, fielded an under strength side and went on to lose by a big score. In the next few games they could field stronger teams and depending on results, the group tightens up and placings have to be decided on score difference in a distorted group. Not beyond the realms of possibility at all. I am not sure but another poster has stated that now points difference will not now be used and instead it will be playoffs. I am not saying they were right to forfeit the game, but in hindsight and in terms of the group, it might not have been as bad an option that some are making out.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

bula bula wrote:Say then if Tullamore did promote lads, fielded an under strength side and went on to lose by a big score. In the next few games they could field stronger teams and depending on results, the group tightens up and placings have to be decided on score difference in a distorted group. Not beyond the realms of possibility at all. I am not sure but another poster has stated that now points difference will not now be used and instead it will be playoffs. I am not saying they were right to forfeit the game, but in hindsight and in terms of the group, it might not have been as bad an option that some are making out.
But that's just a part of football/hurling, is it not? By that logic group one would be unfair if Niall McNamee got injured and missed the last round against Shannonbridge, since obviously there's a world of difference between Rhode with Niall and Rhode without him. Players missing due to injury or whatever reason is simply as much a part of football as the break of the ball off two lads jumping or wind advantage - that's completely different to a team deciding for themselves that lads are missing, so they're not even going to try.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Will the U2 concerts this weekend affect Tullamore's ability to field a team! :mrgreen:

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Lone Shark wrote:
bula bula wrote:Say then if Tullamore did promote lads, fielded an under strength side and went on to lose by a big score. In the next few games they could field stronger teams and depending on results, the group tightens up and placings have to be decided on score difference in a distorted group. Not beyond the realms of possibility at all. I am not sure but another poster has stated that now points difference will not now be used and instead it will be playoffs. I am not saying they were right to forfeit the game, but in hindsight and in terms of the group, it might not have been as bad an option that some are making out.
But that's just a part of football/hurling, is it not? By that logic group one would be unfair if Niall McNamee got injured and missed the last round against Shannonbridge, since obviously there's a world of difference between Rhode with Niall and Rhode without him. Players missing due to injury or whatever reason is simply as much a part of football as the break of the ball off two lads jumping or wind advantage - that's completely different to a team deciding for themselves that lads are missing, so they're not even going to try.
I am not saying they were right to give up the game but I was just putting it out there that it possibly has worked out better for the group than the other scenario. Does anyone have an official reason given by the club? If not then its unfair to speculate and to pass judgement. Can we just leave it there unless something comes out officially.
"Ohhh mamma!"

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

The following is the rule that applies to Tullamore's inability to field a team
Rule 120 - Disqualification
The Penalties for a Club/Unit failing to fulfil a
Championship Game shall be as follows:-
(a) In a ‘Knock-Out’ Game - the Club shall be
Disqualified from the Championship and the
Game Awarded to the Opposing Team.
(b) In a ‘League Stage’ of a Championship –
(i) For a First Failure - the Game shall be
Awarded to the Opposing Team, but without
Disqualification, subject to the condition
below.
If in the opinion of the Committee-in-Charge,
the failure to field was for an ulterior purpose,
affecting the position(s) of other Club(s), the
defaulting Club may, at the discretion of the
Committee, be disqualified from the
Championship.
(ii) For a Second Failure – a Club shall be
Disqualified from the Championship and the
Game shall be Awarded to the Opposing
Team.

The committee obviously decided that there was no ulterior motive on Tullamore's behalf and they just couldn't muster the players. It is unlikely that their Junior management, nor the players, would agree to Junior players being used as to plug the gaps for one game thereby making them ineligible for their 'own' grade - and possibly depriving them of any further championship football this year. Tullamore are aware that failure fo fulfill their second round Intermediate fixture would also eliminate their third team - from the Junior championship - as the regarding would not be workable with Tullamore playing Junior and Senior only having entered an Intermediate team

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Not really anti Tullamore. Smaller clubs would be looking forward to championship, especially as only beginning in July! Plenty of clubs had 2 teams out, sure even that mecca of football, Kilclonfert had a second team out in the C championship! Its the inability of the GAA in Tullamore to muster up interest, there should be plenty of lads mad for football in there?