Game of the weekend

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalyman
Senior

Game of the weekend

Post by offalyman »

Just flicking threw the fixtures here and the game of the weekend,
as i see it comes from the intermediate championship where Doon take on Raheen tomorrow evening at 6pm in tullamore.
Both clubs would fancy themselves to go all the way this year and i expect both to be there at the business end.Raheen beat Doon easily in the league earilier in the year,however Doon have knocked Raheen out of the championship the previous two years.Some good talent on show and alot depends on how Danny Mcevoy,David "Toast" Crombie and Conor Carroll play for Raheen and James Coughlan and Trevor Phlean play for Doon.Im going to go with the Raheen lads to just shade it.
Perdication:Raheen by 1

john locke
Junior A

Re: Game of the weekend

Post by john locke »

Raheen Vs doon .... Should be a cracker
League Match between these two was very exciting game , Raheen stuck in 4 goals that day , one of which was a bad goalie error which really shouldn't of got it , up the other end Doon had a penalty saved Mid way in second half ....Should be a Good measure of where both teams are for push for the Holy Land of Senior Football
Verdict : Raheen by the skin of their teeth
Sometimes you meet your destiny on the road you took to avoid it

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'll be in at this one too and I'm looking forward to it. Raheen are very competitive but I'd have given them a lot better chance of beating Doon on a smaller pitch. O'Connor Park is a big place to be chasing after lads like Trevor Phelan with five minutes to go in a game of football. I'd give Doon a good chance in this one, maybe one or two point favourites.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Thereorthereabouts
County player

Post by Thereorthereabouts »

Lone Shark wrote:I'll be in at this one too and I'm looking forward to it. Raheen are very competitive but I'd have given them a lot better chance of beating Doon on a smaller pitch. O'Connor Park is a big place to be chasing after lads like Trevor Phelan with five minutes to go in a game of football. I'd give Doon a good chance in this one, maybe one or two point favourites.

I will be in at this one myself. I do agree with Lone Shark here on the Raheen backs having to chase after Trevor Phelan and the likes, but the same has to be said for the Raheen forwards, in Rigney and Crombie, two offaly minors the last couple of years. I feel Raheen have enough of penetration in their forward line to sneak a couple of goals early. Goals win games and I definitely feel Raheen have the capability to out goalscore their opponents and win by the minimum.
The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights

Thereorthereabouts
County player

Post by Thereorthereabouts »

I went to O Connor on Saturday evening to watch this one. A terrible evening for football.

Raheen won this one 1-9 to 1-7

A game of two halves.
Doon played with the wind in the 1st half and went into the break leading 1-5 to 2 points..

Raheen then outscored their opponents 1-7 to 2 points in the second half to take the honours.

It may be a bit premature but I think it is between Walsh Island and the Raheen lads for the title this year, having also heard the St Rynaghs could only manage a draw against Kilclonfert also.
The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say Raheen are high as kites after this one - in fairness the game was lost in the second quarter, when Doon had the breeze, Raheen had no answer to them and yet they only drew 0-1 each in that period. A six point lead at half time in that breeze was no better than level, meaning that a scrappy goal (and they don't come much scrappier than that) was always likely to have a big bearing.

I was very impressed with Liam Boland in the right corner for Raheen, marking Phelan. He was right on top of him, playing aggressively (got away with a few robust challenges I felt, but if the referee was being lenient, he was right to take no chances) and particularly in the second half, Trevor never got the chance to get away from him. If any position was the winning of the game, that was it.

Overall it's a huge result for Raheen and a long way back for Doon now. Birr were missing Verney and Stephen Lonergan against Clonbullogue and still got a draw, so you'd have to say that with two county standard players to come back in, they'd have every chance of taking second spot (at the very least) in this group.

While we're on the subject of the intermediate, what the hell happened that Tullamore couldn't field? I know Phil O'Reilly used a load of intermediates for the senior game on Wednesday night, but surely that just means you promote a few of the juniors? It seems ridiculous that they just conceded a walkover in a championship game, even if it was against Walsh Island. It's not really fair to Walsh Island either - they not have to go into their next game against either Kilclonfert or Rynaghs without a game, and certainly Rynagh's have the potential to cause an upset, whatever about Kilclonfert.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

they were all off at O2!

john locke
Junior A

Post by john locke »

Wells Lads the Weather certainly ruined this one , brutal night for football .
Doon's last link to their Senior Status ended on saturday night , last two year beaten by senior team that had just come now but now no excuses these boys are intermidates , and lads its a hell of a lot harder to get back up nowadays .
Walsh Island certainly would fancy themselves against them as well.
Rynaghs didn't get their campaign off to the start the would have expected either Draw against Kilclonfert who are certainly in the bottom half of interimedate circles.
Couple of Big Clubs are going to be swimming in these waters for awhile.

Fair Play to Raheen grinded out a result where in past years would have crumbled.
Group is going to be hard one to call , Raheen hot fav's to finish top but theirs a few twists left in this group yet .

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Hyper wrote:they were all off at O2!
Oxegen?

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

How will the group pan out so if Tullamore have pulled out? Never mind Walsh Island, they have had a good league. Tis goin to be tough if Tullamore decide to field against the others, and how will points difference work if it comes down to it? If Tullamore scrape together a team and decide to give it a right good rattle against Kilclonfert, but lose, they presumably will throw in the towel for their final game, with Rynaghs.
I reckon they should be relegated, and leave the group to be fought out with the other 3. Probably against all rules, but might be some comeback if they had looked for the game to be put back for a few days?
A pure mess, and not good enough. Tullamore should be able to field with the size of their population.

By all accounts the Kilclonfert Rynaghs game had it all, with Ryanaghs taking a 2-06 to 1-01 lead by half time with Kilclonfert engaging in Kami Kaze style stuff! They fought back with 3 second half goals, and drew level with around 6 mins left. Rynaghs struck 2 points to seemingly have it won, but Kilclonfert stung them with 2 late points including a great free with the last kick of the game to claim an admirable draw.
With their tails up Kilclonfert would fancy beating Tullamore, and having a good crack at Walsh Island.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

4-06 to 2-12 was final score by the way. Id say Diarmuid Horan was a big loss to Rynaghs, who on this evidence will struggle to make an impact in the later stages.

bluegoalie
Junior B

Post by bluegoalie »

Will Tullamore be fit to Field a junior b team either?? surely if they cant string together a intermediate team they'l struggle with a junior team??? If they pul out of the intermediate championship whats the story with regrading players for the rest of this year??

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Georgio1 wrote:How will the group pan out so if Tullamore have pulled out? Never mind Walsh Island, they have had a good league. Tis goin to be tough if Tullamore decide to field against the others, and how will points difference work if it comes down to it?
Rule 117 .....

(c) Where Teams finish with equal points for Qualification for the Concluding Stages, or for Promotion or Relegation, the tie shall be decided
by the following means and in the order specified:
(i) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For).
(ii) Highest Total Score For.
(iii) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition.
(iv) Scoring Average (divide total Score Against into total Score For).

Exception: If the accumulated scores of a team, so involved, are affected by a disqualification, retirement or walk over, the tie shall be decided by a play off

john locke
Junior A

Post by john locke »

If results go against Raheen & doon next weekend ,,,,, the "Game of the opening weekend of championship" will be out on their arse . . . Doon seem to have gone backwards this year and Raheen have really prefectived their Jeckly and Hyde routine this summer by getting blown away by Birr

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Its Bracknaghs championship now lads :lol: :lol: :lol: