Carlow match.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Carlow match.

Post by Lone Shark »

So to Dr. Cullen Park, where the footballers take up arms again after a few weeks off to ponder where it all went wrong.

This should be the perfect draw for us - enough of a banana skin to focus the minds, but still eminently beatable opponents.

And so to the classic bar stool art of team picking. I think a few drastic steps have to be taken. Jimmy Coughlan is clearly not on top form, and could do with a rest, or maybe getting to come in midway through the game with a renewed appetite against a tiring corner back. The three man inside forward line did not work, so a reversion to the two lads inside is probably the way to go.

Anyway, if I was picking for Saturday....

Podge
Froggie, Conor, Scott
Shane Sull, Keane, Slatts
Mac, Super
Daly, Hunt, Neville
Quinn, Paschal, Niall.

Open to the floor........
Last edited by Lone Shark on Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MF35
Intermediate

Post by MF35 »

Are Brady and Slatts not suspended for getting straight red cards in the club championship?

Why not drop Niall mac if you are going as far as dropping Jimmy as a result of going through a bad patch? Both are equally as bad in my opinion. In my opinion Jimmy deserves to hold his place as he is our left sided free taker....

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Club and county are treated differently for suspensions these days. The lads are just suspended for Clara and Gracefield games.

The difference is that Niall had a bad day last time out - but came back and scored 5 points for Rhode the following week and generally looked like himself again. Jimmy followed up a bad day against Laois with an even worse day against St. Brigid's. When compared with David Egan scoring six points the other side, it wasn't the play of a man on top of his game.

Bogman
All Star

Team for Sunday!!

Post by Bogman »

Colm Quinn is a fine left-sided freetaker so no problem with frees from resting Jimmy.

I see that Lone Shark has dropped Barry Mooney, our 2005 captain, in his selection. That's surprising!

Colm Quinn and Mark Daly work well around midfield/half forward area picking up the breaks and spraying it forward.

I'd go with Paschal and Niall up front but only with Niall close to the goal and Paschal playing a little further out. That seems to be the way Rhode line up and it works a treat for them.

If our full forwards are struggling at any stage I'd send Neville up there for a stint and Mac could take a shift there when Jimmy Grennan comes on,

Lone Shark
All Star

Barry Mooney

Post by Lone Shark »

Barry's injured. Missed the Rhode game too if I'm not mistaken.

I hope he's a bit quicker to use Roy Malone this time too if the forwards are struggling.

minor
Senior

Post by minor »

i think roy is injured so its unlikely we'll see much of him also Jimmy Grennan certainly won't be making an appearance he has retired from inter-county, i'm surprised ye haven't heard.

I reckon i'd leave sully center beack and bring in grennan on the wing, he seems to be in better form tan keane at the moment and he has some engine, he never stops running. in the forwards i'd agree with lone shark coughlan could do with a spell on the line so i'd make a straight swop for reynolds and then have the option of switching him and quinn.

by the way, where did ya get the flag with the shark on it, its class!! would they be available to buy or something??

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I should have put this on this thread and not on the other one.

Original Post;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spotted this on RTE.ie, so the answer is he would! Reynolds gets the nod ahead of Coughlan. Is this a 3 man FF line? No room for Hunt either.

OFFALY (SFC v Carlow)

Padraic Kelly,
Cathal Daly, Conor Evans, Scott Brady,
James Keane, Shane Sullivan, Karol Slattery (Capt),
Ciaran McManus, Alan McNamee,
Colm Quinn, Mark Daly, Neville Coughlan,
Niall McNamee, Pascal Kellaghan, John Reynolds

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

minor wrote:i think roy is injured so its unlikely we'll see much of him also Jimmy Grennan certainly won't be making an appearance he has retired from inter-county, i'm surprised ye haven't heard.

I reckon i'd leave sully center beack and bring in grennan on the wing, he seems to be in better form tan keane at the moment and he has some engine, he never stops running. in the forwards i'd agree with lone shark coughlan could do with a spell on the line so i'd make a straight swop for reynolds and then have the option of switching him and quinn.

by the way, where did ya get the flag with the shark on it, its class!! would they be available to buy or something??
I saw a post on Hogan stand about Jimmy, John Kenny, Rafferty and Hunt all having left the panel. Being Hogan Stand I assumed it was horse poo. I'm worried now because whatever about Jimmy struggling to find fitness, and John Kenny who really shouldn't be used anyway, Rafferty and Hunt are useful options to us - they'll be a loss if it is actually true.

Long term I still rate James Coughlan as a county player who should do a lot for us. However he's not playing well, and a corner forward without confidence is never going to put his best foot forward. I might have considered David Egan after his tour de force against Doon ahead of Reynolds, or indeed picked Hunt if he was available, but I'd be happy Shaper won't let us down.

As for the flag, not available for sale I'm afraid - at least not yet, we've a bit to go before uibhfhaili.com merchandising kicks into gear! I got the flag from a woman in Clara who does these things, then acquired some black felt and let my artistically inclined sister do her thing. I have to say I'm pleased with the results. Good work Sis!

minor
Senior

Post by minor »

oh yeah, raff is definitly gone and im not sure about Kenny but i think he could be gone as-well. didn't hear anything about hunt going,if he has he'd be the biggest loss.

you never know, you could start the flags now then float the site on the stock market and before you know it, malcolm glazer is selling man utd buying you out!!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Hmmmm....

Post by Lone Shark »

Yeah, but then you'd have to start selling season tickets for the right to post on Uibhfhaili.com, and jacking up the price, hitting RTE for TV rights to film us on the terraces, a breakaway group called Sharkholders United gets formed in protest, effigies get burnt, and it all goes horribly wrong.

Tis a bad road to go down really.