Offaly v Wexford - NHL Division 2 Final (03/05/2009)

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Offaly v Wexford - NHL Division 2 Final (03/05/2009)

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Important game, very hard to call.

My expectations depend entirely on what starting 15 is named. Currently the team is in a very undesirable state of unstability. The league loss against Wexford, in which Kenny was absent, would appear to have unleashed a wave uncertainty in the minds of the management. Although to be fair, the fact that this team was not tested in the early stages of this division is very much to blame for that. Nonetheless consider this; the wings backs on Sunday could be Brady, Cleary, Hanniffy or Rigney. The corner backs could be any two of Verney, Wynne, Franks (if available) or O’Meara. Midfield may be Murphy, Rigney, Hanniffy, Brady or perhaps Mahon. All the while Oakley (and indeed Currams) remain untouched.

Last year's relative resurgence was based upon a stable starting 15, especially from numbers 1-9. Since this was the basis upon which that success was built and in reality were the last competitive games this team received, would it not make sense to revert to this template and monitor how the team progresses? To send out an experimental 15 ‘to see how they get on’ this Sunday could be disastrous. Indeed to play as we did against Antrim will equally not suffice.

Whenever the team in announced, probably Sunday at 1pm if this managements record is anything to go by, would somebody post it up? Also here’s hoping that Offaly receive some semblance of support on Sunday although I have long lost faith in this regard. The match is in Thurles after all, a massive 40-60 minutes away for the majority of the sunshine hurling supporters in Offaly. Their apathy and laziness is infuriating.

And once more I’ll sing it, and I’ll keep singing it: Hanniffy at midfield. Always and forever. Brady at wing back.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly v Wexford - NHL Division 2 Final (03/05/2009)

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

For what its worth, 3rd May was also the date in 1981 that Cork beat Offaly in the league final of that year.

Padraig Horan won he toss and elected to play into the strong wind, but the first two scores of the game were Cork goals as Cork exploited Christy King in the Ofaly goal (Damien Martin had semi-retired) and it was game over. The wind died around half time and there was war afterwards - hindsight being 20:20 vision and all that.

Incidentally, t'was on the news when we got back into the car that Bobby Sands had gone into a coma - he died early on the Tuesday morning.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

massive game sunday lads .it is vital that we win for the future of offaly hurling thats how important this game is .if i was giving the choice between a win sunday or the 3rd of may id gladly take sunday .we havent being great of late but there is a big performance in these lads and i beleive we will see it sunday .lets get behind the team and let them know sunday that they have some support there.anyone who can go should .offaly by 2.
great history hoping for a better future

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

meant to say 30rd may .

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:For what its worth, 3rd May was also the date in 1981 that Cork beat Offaly in the league final of that year.

Padraig Horan won he toss and elected to play into the strong wind, but the first two scores of the game were Cork goals as Cork exploited Christy King in the Ofaly goal (Damien Martin had semi-retired) and it was game over. The wind died around half time and there was war afterwards - hindsight being 20:20 vision and all that.

Incidentally, t'was on the news when we got back into the car that Bobby Sands had gone into a coma - he died early on the Tuesday morning.
Christy King - there is a name I have forgotten about!!

INOFFALYIBELIEVE
Junior B

Post by INOFFALYIBELIEVE »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:

"Whenever the team in announced, probably Sunday at 1pm if this managements record is anything to go by"

The team generally is listed on the Offaly G.A.A website on the Thursday night or the Friday before the mathces on Sunday. Granted there wasn't a team listed before the Antrim game, due in a large part to the amount of injuries i presume.

Some good news now as it seems to sun has worked wonders! on Kenny & Franks and are looking good for Sunday, Dooley seems to be big doubt though.

I would echo your comment on the levels of support, that 'both the apathy and laziness is infuriating ' , the showing in Tullamore for the Antrim match was shocking, hopefully we will get a good turnout on Sunday and the players performance will inspire some fervent vocal support for the lads.

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

INOFFALYIBELIEVE wrote:I would echo your comment on the levels of support, that 'both the apathy and laziness is infuriating ' , the showing in Tullamore for the Antrim match was shocking, hopefully we will get a good turnout on Sunday and the players performance will inspire some fervent vocal support for the lads.
No disrespect to people who go to every offaly league no matter what...a lot cannot actually afford to go to every match especially families. Even a trip to Thurles is an expensive day out for people. Remember last year against Westmeath in the football...it was a perfect evening for sunshine supporters but yet we got outnumbered in the crowd that day...i saw more supporters at league games, Even against Waterford there was f-all offaly fans at it. I myself would try make it to every game esp. home games in the league but leaves a hole in the pocket over time.. i only made it to 1 league game in either code this year. Personally i wasnt going to waste money on the footballers after the last 2 years, but the hurlers do deserve support. I will be in thurles sunday but some people who go to leinster finals, all ireland finals over the years dont even know that we are in a league final... they are real culprits and they annoy me..

Our so called sunshine supporters wont come out till an all ireland semi( which wont happen) so we just have to be noisier and make up for it..
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Woah there horsey, that wasn't me wrote that . . .
INOFFALYIBELIEVE wrote:Plain of the Herbs wrote:

"Whenever the team in announced, probably Sunday at 1pm if this managements record is anything to go by"
My opinion is that it doesn't bother me when the team is announced. T'wouldn't bother me if we didn't find out until the captain handed the teamsheet to the referee. In any event, players will have a fair idea in the week leading up to the game anyway.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

turk wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:For what its worth, 3rd May was also the date in 1981 that Cork beat Offaly in the league final of that year.

Lucky you. I wish I could forget the name.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:
turk wrote:

Lucky you. I wish I could forget the name.
Horan recalls how twist of fate lifted Offaly

Offaly legend: Padraig Horan scored controversial goal against Laois during 1981 Leinster hurling championship

Wednesday May 21 2008

HISTORY often hangs on fickle twists of fate.

Go all the way back to 1981 when Offaly and Laois were usually neck and neck in their Leinster hurling championship clashes. A thrilling and controversial match between the midland rivals ended in a 3-20 to 6-10 win for the Faithful men on their way to the All-Ireland title and the counties have experienced starkly contrasting fortunes since then.

Could it have been different? Offaly's Padraig Horan bagged a controversial 'goal' that day -- which he later admitted was wide -- and in September of that year, Liam McCarthy took up residence in Offaly.

"The game was very tight and I remember cutting inside and having a bullet of a shot that went just the wrong side of the post," he recalls.

"I remember being absolutely disgusted with myself and then I heard Johnny Flaherty (Offaly corner forward) shouting and looking to claim a goal. The umpire had ducked and the shot went through the side netting so when he looked up it was in the back of the net so he gave the goal."

"Anyone who has asked me about it since I have told them the true story."

According to Horan, that game "made Offaly." After conceding six goals, it prompted management to change their 'keeper.

Christy King made way for Damien Martin, who had won the county's first hurling All-Star 10 years earlier in 1971. That switch would have extraordinary repercussions as Martin made a stunning save to deny Galway late in the All-Ireland final. It seemed as if it had been all written in the stars for Offaly.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaa-cha ... 81652.html

INOFFALYIBELIEVE
Junior B

Post by INOFFALYIBELIEVE »

Apologies 'Plain of the herbs' for mixing you up with 'Greatdayfortheparish' may pay a visit to specasvers!

Id be in agreement as regards the team announcements, as with us ya generally know the first 15, however where they line out or indeed finish isnt always as predictable.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

On July 19th last year for the Waterford game the atmosphere created by the few Offaly supporters behind the town end goal on the terrace was incredible. We were outnumbered big time by the Deise but we shouted ourselves silly for the lads until we could shout no more, we need the same passion of support next sunday only in larger numbers to get behind the team because you can be sure the Yellowbellies will be there in force. COME ON ALL FAITHFUL FANS, MAKE THE EFFORT AN LET'S SHOW THE OTHER 3 COUNTIES WHY WE ARE CALLED THE FAITHFUL COUNTY.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

black and red exile wrote:On July 19th last year for the Waterford game the atmosphere created by the few Offaly supporters behind the town end goal on the terrace was incredible. We were outnumbered big time by the Deise but we shouted ourselves silly for the lads until we could shout no more, we need the same passion of support next sunday only in larger numbers to get behind the team because you can be sure the Yellowbellies will be there in force. COME ON ALL FAITHFUL FANS, MAKE THE EFFORT AN LET'S SHOW THE OTHER 3 COUNTIES WHY WE ARE CALLED THE FAITHFUL COUNTY.
well said lad .i have a few mates going sunday who wouldnt normally go but i roped them into it .lads off this site should do the same thing and lets make ourselves heard sunday .come on the faithful.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Its time we got one over Wexford!
They barely edged us out in '03, '04 and '06. Every one of those games for there for the taking and Offaly lost it in the 2nd half.

How both management teams perform on the sideline will be a bigger factor than usual.
Both teams won't have learned a huge deal in Division 2 so far, so players may have hidden frailties exposed.
Its hard to hide on the big pitch in Thurles.

If you analyse Offaly's performances against the top 8 teams in the last 5 or 6 years, it has nearly always been the 15 or 20 minutes after half time where the game has gone from Offaly's reach.
Limerick last year was the exception, but there was every chance they were going to reel Offaly in until Joe Bergin's third goal took the wind out of them.

I can't see Offaly winning without bagging at least 2 goals though.
For starters Offaly need the psychological lift of goals and also I don't think this team has yet the developed the ability to keep the scoreboard ticking over with points for 70 minutes.
You need to be averaging a point every 4 minutes, whereas Offaly may well hit a barren 10 or 15 minute spell. Even against Antrim Offaly scored one point in about 15 minutes early in the second half.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Kemo Sabe wrote:
black and red exile wrote:On July 19th last year for the Waterford game the atmosphere created by the few Offaly supporters behind the town end goal on the terrace was incredible. We were outnumbered big time by the Deise but we shouted ourselves silly for the lads until we could shout no more, we need the same passion of support next sunday only in larger numbers to get behind the team because you can be sure the Yellowbellies will be there in force. COME ON ALL FAITHFUL FANS, MAKE THE EFFORT AN LET'S SHOW THE OTHER 3 COUNTIES WHY WE ARE CALLED THE FAITHFUL COUNTY.
well said lad .i have a few mates going sunday who wouldnt normally go but i roped them into it .lads off this site should do the same thing and lets make ourselves heard sunday .come on the faithful.
What do we reckon?
Town End Terrace in Thurles? Where Offaly fans were on that famous day against Clare in '98.