League more important than championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

League more important than championship

Post by Offalys Future »

I always had the opinion that championship is all that matters and for
many counties that is true. But this year it is vital that Offaly win the league
and get Div 1 hurling next year and build on that.
Offaly should put out best team against Wexford win the game and that will guarantee a
league final. can rest who ever they like against Antrim and treat the league final as
the biggest game of the year.

Say for instance we get beaten in the league and dont gain promotion and had an incredible run
that got us to the all-ireland semi or quarter final. It would be a diaster to be back playing div 2
next year.

So for me this month ahead is far more important to offaly hurling than the championship.
Get promoted!
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Georgio1
All Star

Re: League more important than championship

Post by Georgio1 »

I am tempted to agree, but 3 wins in a few weeks against Wexford will be tough. They are always up for games against us. We have had no test and really need to win on Sunday and lay down a marker.At the same time, if we got promotion, I think it would be the best opportunity we could have to go on a run, the pressure would be off to a degree. Any word on U21 mgt?

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

yep hopefully the panel seem to be all working together to achieve the same goal
so time will tell.

As for u-21's i havent heard but isnt it incredible whats going on.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

I would also be of the opinion that league is priority for 09.
On the U21 management it is getting beyond ridiculous not to have a management in place. Perhaps Croke Park might intervene like they did in cork an set up a head hunting committee... sorry i forgot that they are only interested in the big knobs
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Offalys future, you're dead right. We have to get out of this horrible division hook or by crook this year, the drivel we have had to watch so far has been painful and we will learn nothing trouncing these teams we are stuck with in div 2. Playing the premier sides in div 1 is the only way we can progress because it's very easy to get lazy and pick up bad habits playing the opposition we are in with at present. Roll on Sunday for our first decent test of the year.

sammythesnake
Junior B

Post by sammythesnake »

We might as well be realistic and say that offaly are going to be playing wexford in league final,even if offaly win on sunday theres no way they would throw the game against antrim,well personally i think it would be in their best interests not too because if they did wexford would treat the 1st round of leinster as an all ireland and be all out to beat offaly and imagine the crowd they would have in wexford park for it mad to beat offaly...i would agree winning the league is more important than the 1st round of leinster but i wouldnt go as far as saying its more important than the entire championship because after all we`re not going to win leinster anyway so all we can hope for is to get through qualifiers. if we win div 2 i dont think the attitude should be well we have got back to div 1 now so anything else is a bonus,the attitude should be thank god we got ourselves out of that mess and now concentrate on the championship and lets go to wexford and beat them,in fairness we havent had a good championship win in a good few years apart from limerick last year and when we had a chance of beating waterford we didnt take it so we need to win the league and then beat wexford in wexford park as well,that would surely be a great confidence booster!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

sammythesnake wrote:We might as well be realistic and say that offaly are going to be playing wexford in league final,even if offaly win on sunday theres no way they would throw the game against antrim,well personally i think it would be in their best interests not too because if they did wexford would treat the 1st round of leinster as an all ireland and be all out to beat offaly and imagine the crowd they would have in wexford park for it mad to beat offaly...i would agree winning the league is more important than the 1st round of leinster but i wouldnt go as far as saying its more important than the entire championship because after all we`re not going to win leinster anyway so all we can hope for is to get through qualifiers. if we win div 2 i dont think the attitude should be well we have got back to div 1 now so anything else is a bonus,the attitude should be thank god we got ourselves out of that mess and now concentrate on the championship and lets go to wexford and beat them,in fairness we havent had a good championship win in a good few years apart from limerick last year and when we had a chance of beating waterford we didnt take it so we need to win the league and then beat wexford in wexford park as well,that would surely be a great confidence booster!!
Wexford will be treating the first round of Leinster versus US as the All Ireland regardless of what happens in the league. They believe it is their birthright to have the life beaten out of them by Kilkenny every year in a 'Traditional Leinster Final'. It is time to restore 'order' in this rivalry.

We'll be seeing them 3X in the coming weeks. Its time for this team to prove that progress is being made. Sammy's point regarding the Waterford game a good one. We had a chance to send a message, but it did not happen. This is a new year. Things seem to be going well. Roll on!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.