NFL playoffs

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

NFL playoffs

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

I know there are a few NFL fans on the site - just wondered if anybody has been following the playoffs this year.

I think its been super stuff from a tactical perspective - personally hoping the Chargers can keep their current late run going although I suspect the Steelers will beat them in the snow on Sunday.

In the other games I fancy the Giants, Ravens and Panthers to make it.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: NFL playoffs

Post by Lone Shark »

Offence wins games, defence wins championships - it's the Ravens all over for me. I know they lost to the Steelers twice in the regular season, but they've been bedding in a rookie quarterback and while he's not exactly running up huge numbers, generally speaking he's controlling the game and keeping the turnovers down. I've fancied them from ages back, but still the price has just been too short bearing in mind what they had to do - win in Dallas, win in Miami, now win in Tennessee, probably win in Pittsburgh and then a Superbowl.

Steelers should roll San Diego over, but I'm not sure about this one at all. It was a very tight regular season game between the two and SD will take a lot of heart from a big win last week, even if they did get a lot of help from the zebras in that one.

I don't like the Giants in the absence of Plaxico at all. My bet this weekend is Philly to turn them over. Granted trusting the Eagles is haphazard at best, but if they play well, they'll have no fear of Giants Stadium and they have real big play potential. Carolina should go through the Cards for a shortcut (Sorry AZ!) but that's not a punting game for me either. I'll be interested to see what they come up with to stop Steve Smith - he's absolutely flying right now.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killer B
Intermediate

Post by Killer B »

As an Eagles fan i hope they go all the way to the superbowl!! I can see them beating New York where i think they'll have to play at Carolina in the NFC cham game. Carolina should have no problem this sat against Arizona. The Eagles are on abit of a run except for the game at Washignton, which was a disaster(only to score a field-goal). Eagles to see off Carolina in the NFC

In the AFC i fancy the Ravens against the Titans & the Steelers against the San Diego (Just). Steelers with home adv against the Ravens in the AFC cham game should progress to the superbowl. This game will a defensive game just like the game they played in the regular season.

Superbowl
Eagles to beat steelers in Overtime with fieldgoal from Akers!!

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Lone Shark wrote:Offence wins games, defence wins championships - it's the Ravens all over for me. I know they lost to the Steelers twice in the regular season, but they've been bedding in a rookie quarterback and while he's not exactly running up huge numbers, generally speaking he's controlling the game and keeping the turnovers down
Point re defence is well made but the rookie quarterback is the reason I think they will come unstuck if not this week then in the AFC championship game. Jackson let the Vikings down last week and I suspect the nerves will get to Flacco at some stage.

Would like to see the Eagles overcome NY but think the Giants will wear them down...just.

The great thing is that in all four games the underdogs do have a real fighting chance. Another 12 hours of sport this weekend to look forward to :D

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I think the Parity in the NFL is there to see for everyone in these matchups. Even last week with the Cardinals beating the Falcons in Arizona (get in!) and the Chargers taking care of the Colts saw two teams with a weak record (9-7 and 8-8) beating 2 11-5 teams.

This weekend you could make a decent argument for any of the teams.

First up, the Cardinals and the Panthers.

Carolina = east of the Mississippi, ergo Cardinals lose. That's the simplistic view, and it's hard to argue strongly against it. HOWEVER the Cardinals were actually leading this fixture in the regular season before attempting a stupid fake field goal before half time, when leading 10-3. The Panthers ended up winning by 10 points in the end (I think). The problem for the Cards here will be Steve Smith. The Cardinals 'D' takes a lot of chances with blitzes, and leaves a lot, too many, one v one matchups on the outside with the likes of Rolle, Rogers-Cormartrie etc versus receivers. That's grand, but each one of them you lose is a big play, and potentially a touchdown. Also the Cardinals don't wrap up well all the time in the tackle, which also kills them. On the other side of the ball, the Cardinals are trying to run the ball a bit more, and they'll have to with Anquin Boldin dodgy with his hamstring, although he practised this morning in Arizona, however the likes of Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Breaston will make plays if there's a bit of balance. The Panthers are boring enough, but very solid, and unbeaten at home this year. I'll be picking the Panthers, but if the Cards play a good, solid game, with no costly errors, don't be surprised. I'd certainly give them a better chance than if they were heading up to the Meadowlands.

Speaking of which, the Giants entertain the Eagles in the other NFC semi-final, and if the Eagles can repeat their comprehensive enough beating of the Giants in Nov/Dec, then a Cardinals win would see the NFC final in Arizona, and then all bets are off!!. Having said that, the Giants were almost free wheeling at that stage, and were resting the banged up Brandon Jacobs. Plexico Burress is a tool, but his absence will allow the Eagles to put 8 in the box and try and take the game away from Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw. If they can do that, then McNabb and Westbrook can do damage. I'm picking the Giants, based on Jacob's return and the serious business being underway, but the Eagles have a bit of Momentum including a last gasp qualification via a huge win over the Cowboys and a solid 'underdog' win versus the Vikings #1 run defence. I'll take the Giants by a TD, but won't be surprised too much if the Eagles repeat the dose.

In the AFC, I simply cannot see beyond the Steelers in their matchup with the Chargers. San Diego must be a very frustrating team to follow, and we saw the worst of that in London in October. Their Merriman less Defence is very erratic, although they were good against the Colts, and they consistently are the bridesmaids in the AFC playoffs. If the Broncos hadn't been so putrid, they'd not even be in the playoffs, and if Tomlinson's groin is bad, I cannot see Darren Sproules repeating a 300+ yard performance against the Steel Curtain mark 2. Take LT out of the equation, and too much load goes on Sproules. Take Chambers and Gates away, and theirs feck all left for Rivers to throw at. I don't see the Steelers Offence being anything more than efficient, but in Parker, Moore, Ward and Roethlisberger they have enough to win the big games, if Roethlisberger stays healthy, and is given some protection from an offensive line that looks like 5 turnstiles at times. I don't think the Chargers have it in them to really punish the Steelers QB though, and I expect Pittsburgh to win this one by 10 or so.

The last game in the AFC could be the lowest scoring, and tightest of them all. The Ravens are buzzing, and are my second favourites for the Superbowl, behind the Steelers, but the Titans just keep on keeping on. However, I would expect the Ravens to lock down Chris Johnston and make Kerry Collins beat them. The last part of that sentence is why I think the Ravens will win. Collins is a decent pro, but he is the quintessential 'game manager'. Code for 'don't screw up and let the rest of the team win the game'. If Collins is forced to throw, Ed Reed and co might have a field day. The Titans 'D' line is great, as is their running game, but Lendale White needs the one two punch of Johnston. White will grind all day, but he won't pick up big yards unless the Ravens are off balance because of Johnston. The Ravens' offence won't pull up trees, but they have their own 'wear you down' runner in LeRon McLain, and the more dynamic one in Willis McGahee (although he's lost a step). I don't think the Ravens, and their rookie QB Joe Flacco, will break the 25 point mark, but I don't think they'll have to. Ravens 20-13.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Ravens vs Titans should be some game. I watched all 17 games the Dolphins played this year on a Net HD subscription and I was amazed how the Miami offensive line was taken apart by Baltimore. I agree that Flacco could get a bit flakey with the game on the line but he does not have to do much when the defence is so ridiculously good. Granted the Dolphins o line was a little makeshift with the two guards taken off the street during the season but still the likes of Ngata / awesome. Ed Reed just took my breath away for the anticipation and athletic ability on one of his interceptions.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hey AZ,

Won't mention any scores in case people are taping the games, but I certainly hope you are taking in your beloved Cardinals live this evening/morning...

Kevin
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Very happy Kevin, very very happy. Surprised, but not shocked at Arizona's performance, but shocked at the Panthers a bit.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Big Dolphin fan here! Last season was something akin to Offaly's recent form, 1-15,.. but what a turnaround, winning our division, and beating the Jets to clinch it. No qualms about last weeks defeat in the play-offs, still on a high. This season is wide open in my book, Ravens for AFC is a good bet.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Good to see the big Irish clubs the Steelers and Eagles going well at the weekend

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

turk wrote:Good to see the big Irish clubs the Steelers and Eagles going well at the weekend
I know about the Steelers link all right - a guy I used to work with in Ladbrokes knew the family and was over there a fair bit, but what's the link with the Eagles?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Hi Lone Shark,

I'm afraid it's anecdotal. A lad in a pub told me this. Lots of Irish in Philadelphia and all that. The two clubs (Pittsburgh and Philadelphia) were merged at one stage for a season too. I think the owners were close mates (the Rooneys and Bert Bell).

ALSO Philadelphia wear green!

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Fairly spot on analysis there AZ especially as regards the Steelers and Ravens wins. Ever consider becoming a bookie ?????? :D

How do you all see this weekend going ?

Cardinals versus Eagles could go either way:

Arizona now have home field advantage against the Eagles but the Eagles defence is playing great stuff. Edgerrin James and the switch to the running game has taken pressure off of Warner who has responded well but McNabb is loking like a probowl QB the last few weeks. Larry Fitzgerald is the best WR bar none in the game at the moment but he will be facing Samuel. Westbrook (especially since Buckhalter has stepped up) is back in form but the amount of turnovers the cardinals defence are making is mighty impressive.......

Verdict: The Eagles....just - one score game.

Ravens versus Steelers is a hugely enjoyable defensive battle to look forward to. I give the Steelers the edge because of home field advantage, mounting injuries for the Ravens (Suggs is looking doubtful) and the rookie factor (QB and coach). Not by much because I think the Ravens have the advantage at Running back and special teams and have a number of players capable of making big plays... Ed Reed and the super impressive Jim Leonhard who is the most underrated player in the league IMHO.

Verdict : Steelers by 7.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

All I'll say is.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Has this lad any Offaly blood? If an Obama has, surely a Fitzgerald would? If we had him our high fielding centre field worries would be over.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

What a game !

Was cheering on the cardinals ( as I am a Rams fan for my sins - everybody knows that's akin to a life sentence of pain and torment but Kurt Warner singlehandedly got us a superbowl so he can do no wrong for me); Fitzgerald is in a different class and Warner's ability to handle the blitz was ultimately the difference. McNabb will be disappointed though - the quality of some of his passing was poor.

You must have been a little nervous AZ when the Eagles got in front in the final quarter.....