Rhode V Kilmacud

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Re: Rhode V Kilmacud

Post by True Red »

The first goal did look illegal but lets be honest here if Kilmacud and Rhode met again in the morning KIlmacud would win pulling up.

What an unbeliveably stupid thing to say.
Did you not watch the first half when Rhode absolutely played them off the park?

(And this is coming from an Edenderry perspective)
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

if Kilmacud and Rhode met again in the morning KIlmacud would win pulling up.
I missed about 2 games Rhode played all year buddy I hadn't seen kilmacud playing (apart from highlights) going up to the game while my heart was wishing Rhode would win I had doubts because they were playing the dublin champs. After the game on sunday I know Rhode are a better team than kilmadcud.. All you have to do is have a listen to the Tommy Lions interview after the game he practically said the same.

Phoenix Arms
Junior B

Post by Phoenix Arms »

paddyjoe wrote:
Niall NcNamee is known throughout this land as very able and competent player,who has bags of ability and no-end of skill.But,what has he got to show for it?A division 2 medal.
Played all grades with Offaly

Honours

1 div 4 league medal

Club Honours

4 Offaly senior championships

Dublin Senior Championship medal with UCD in 2006

5 under 21

2 minor

2 under 16

2 under 14

2 under 12

1 all Ireland feile

2 Offaly senior player of the year award (2004 & 2006)

1 Offaly under 21 player of the year award

1 Offaly minor player of the year award

1 Offaly junior b football and hurling medal

5 Offaly senior league medals

1 Offaly div 3 medal

Has played with Leinster

Highest individual scorer in Offaly county championship finals (2-8)

Top scorer in Offaly for past five years

You did ask :)

Just off the top of my head Matt's honours include

1 All Ireland winner 1982
1 All Ireland runner up
3 Leinster winners
2 Leinster runner up
3 All Stars
Top scorer in the country 1980
Played for Ireland v Australia 1984

6 Offaly winners medals
2 Leinster club medals

......and all achieved before the age of 25.

Nialler while very talented, has some catching up to do.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Firstly i have to say hard luck to Rhode on sunday, it wpoul have been great for the county if they had won. They did the county proud all the same.

However i have a few things to say -

1. Kilmacud came from 6 points down with 14 men to win by 3. That was an outstanding achievement by any stretch of the imagination. Still they needed a large slice of luck with the two goals which after all were only long hopeful balls.

2. To say that Rhode were the better team on the day doesnt wash with me - certainly much better in the first half but only scored one point against 14 men???

3. The Kilmacud first goal was dubious, ive seen them disallowed and ive seen them given.

4. The second goal was in no way a foul - simply put the goalie took his eye off the ball (and thats being very kind to him) - it was a terrible goal to give away but Rhode had plenty of opportunities to get back into the game but spurned them all.

All in all, while Rhode threw away a golden opportunity, i do feel that Kilmacud are a better team - maybe not in the summer on a dry sod, but if it had gone to a replay i think they would win by five or six points.
First ball is when you make your mark

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

[[/quote]
infringements " ?? What infringements exactly? The ball was in the back of the net for the second goal, after the keeper shat himself, before the Kilmacud play come in on the keeper. How the hell can anyone argue that wasnt a legit goal? The first goal did look illegal but lets be honest here if Kilmacud and Rhode met again in the morning KIlmacud would win pulling up.[/quote]

What planet are you from, get a life.
Be careful out their

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

Phoenix Arms wrote:
paddyjoe wrote:
Niall NcNamee is known throughout this land as very able and competent player,who has bags of ability and no-end of skill.But,what has he got to show for it?A division 2 medal.
Played all grades with Offaly

Honours

1 div 4 league medal

Club Honours

4 Offaly senior championships

Dublin Senior Championship medal with UCD in 2006

5 under 21

2 minor

2 under 16

2 under 14

2 under 12

1 all Ireland feile

2 Offaly senior player of the year award (2004 & 2006)

1 Offaly under 21 player of the year award

1 Offaly minor player of the year award

1 Offaly junior b football and hurling medal

5 Offaly senior league medals

1 Offaly div 3 medal

Has played with Leinster

Highest individual scorer in Offaly county championship finals (2-8)

Top scorer in Offaly for past five years

You did ask :)

Just off the top of my head Matt's honours include

1 All Ireland winner 1982
1 All Ireland runner up
3 Leinster winners
2 Leinster runner up
3 All Stars
Top scorer in the country 1980
Played for Ireland v Australia 1984

6 Offaly winners medals
2 Leinster club medals

......and all achieved before the age of 25.

Nialler while very talented, has some catching up to do.
Whilst I do acknowledge the achievements that Niall McNamee has made throughout his career thus far,I was in no way denigrating them.I was simply trying to underscore the opinion of the majority of football fans by alluding to the scale of achievements which he needs to emulate if he is ever to be talked about in the same breath as Matt Connor.
However,I am delighted to be informed of the exact honours attained by each individual...as its a bad day when you don't learn something new,eh!

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

naasmanxrhode wrote:[
What planet are you from, get a life.[/quote]

That post just made you an All Star (check your stats) Naas Man.

Now that you've had time to lick your wounds will you be providing us with your assessment of the game on Sunday?
Contae an Riogh

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

uibhfhaili wrote:lets be honest here if Kilmacud and Rhode met again in the morning KIlmacud would win pulling up
Come on man lets not get carried away here. Yes I agree that the first goal might or might not have been given and the second goal......well its plain for all to see but to say Kilmacud would win pulling up is a bt of an over statement. Rhode only needed a point or two when things were in the boiling pot to win this game. Had they done so, we'd all be saying what a great performance it was. For me three crucial things lead to Kilmacud winning......1) Rhode taking off their left footed free taker 2) Kilmacuds second goal 3) a superior Kilmacud bench. Everybody needs a bit of luck, and on Sun Rhode had very little. Against Portlaois everything clicked on the day. Now dont get me wrong, Kilmacud are one hell of a team but I still think on any given sunday during the summer, Rhode would fancy their chance of taking them. (When you hear True Red supporting Rhode you know theres got to be some truth in what I say :D

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

uibhfhaili wrote:
redser wrote:Who said anything about square balls. I was referring to infringements on the goalkeeper. Shur if thats the case why bother have umpires at all.

"The Umpire has the power to bring to the attention of the Referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play or incursions onto the field of play which have not been noticed by the Referee. It is the duty of the Umpire to report any such instances and his obligation is to do so by providing the factual situation regarding the instance".

Now in my opinion their was "foul play" commited on the goal keeper. And their was a break in play after it where it should have been reported to refereee that had not notticed it. You see it is the umpires obligation.

Hope that clears it up for you Heshs umpire. It was a disgrace and in general umpires are a disgrace.
infringements " ?? What infringements exactly? The ball was in the back of the net for the second goal, after the keeper shat himself, before the Kilmacud play come in on the keeper. How the hell can anyone argue that wasnt a legit goal? The first goal did look illegal but lets be honest here if Kilmacud and Rhode met again in the morning KIlmacud would win pulling up.
Exactly. There was no reason for any umpire to call in the ref after either goal. The keeper bottled it for the second in particular. It's clutching at straws to suggest that the referee missed something in the build up to either goal that the umpires should have seen.

sIR bIFFSALOT
Junior B

Post by sIR bIFFSALOT »

Infringements: Vaughan took the goalie out of it for the first goal. The second was goalkeepers fault, no infringement there at all.

Phoenix Arms
Junior B

Post by Phoenix Arms »

Heshs Umpire wrote: Exactly. There was no reason for any umpire to call in the ref after either goal. The keeper bottled it for the second in particular. It's clutching at straws to suggest that the referee missed something in the build up to either goal that the umpires should have seen.
So if I understand you Heshs, the umpire can't call a square ball, but could have awarded a wide ball or 45. So if he had waved the ball wide, the refereee would obviously have to consult with him (as it would look like he'd gone mad). The umpire says he can't award a goal in all conscience, so a wide ball was the option most closely available to him. The referee then has the option of over ruling his umpire and awarding the goal or awarding a free out.

This is known as the Frank Murphy method of umpiring. It's very successful down Cork way.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Generally umpires have a secret signal they give to the ref, if they saw a goal scored with a square infringement.
That way, the ref can be seen to call it himself.

Umpiring can be a tricky occupation. If you get your positioning wrong, it can hard to tell if a ball that whizzed in from an angle was a point or not.
Listening to some of the Sunday Game pundits, you would think that all it needed was for someone to stand under the post and look up along it.

That said, it can be dismaying to see when umpires miss something very obvious. Clear saves and block downs being waved as wides and the like.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Phoenix Arms wrote:
Heshs Umpire wrote: Exactly. There was no reason for any umpire to call in the ref after either goal. The keeper bottled it for the second in particular. It's clutching at straws to suggest that the referee missed something in the build up to either goal that the umpires should have seen.
So if I understand you Heshs, the umpire can't call a square ball, but could have awarded a wide ball or 45. So if he had waved the ball wide, the refereee would obviously have to consult with him (as it would look like he'd gone mad). The umpire says he can't award a goal in all conscience, so a wide ball was the option most closely available to him. The referee then has the option of over ruling his umpire and awarding the goal or awarding a free out.

This is known as the Frank Murphy method of umpiring. It's very successful down Cork way.
:D :D :D
I like it Phoenix Arms. Must try that one sometime in order to get my spake in !!

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Coolestown1562 wrote:
naasmanxrhode wrote:[
What planet are you from, get a life.

That post just made you an All Star (check your stats) Naas Man.

Now that you've had time to lick your wounds will you be providing us with your assessment of the game on Sunday?[/quote]
Why would I have to lick my wounds, when the final whistle blows whoever is wining wins, regardless of bad refereeing and umpiring.
Be careful out their

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

[quote="naasmanxrhode
Why would I have to lick my wounds, when the final whistle blows whoever is wining wins, regardless of bad refereeing and umpiring.[/quote]

So thats your assessment. An hours football; a Leinster final boils down to ''bad refereeing and umpiring''
Contae an Riogh