Rhode V Kilmacud

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Coolestown1562
Senior

Re: Rhode V Kilmacud

Post by Coolestown1562 »

naasmanxrhode wrote:
Coolestown1562 wrote:Horse, come down off your 'Seat of King's' for a minute there. I voiced genuine concerns there about a number of weak players on the Rhode team. Pride in the jersey may be enough to carry them over the line on Sunday, but there are inherent weaknesses in the team- maybe you cant see it. Blind faith and all
I can see clearly. You did not answer the question, also why do you not rate Pauraic Sullivan???. He's been outstanding for Rhode in the last 3 games, must be the fittest man left in this competition.
Ciaran McManus was the fittest man in ireland for about five years running there, your point being? i think outstanding is a bit far fetched there.
I should probably leave this till monday, then we can analyse in greater detail. :D
Last edited by Coolestown1562 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contae an Riogh

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Coolestown1562 analyse it next Wednesday or Thursday for us... Next Monday we'll be busy celebrating while i'm sure you'll still be looking for the negatives on the Rhode team.. Just wish the club well mate and don't gearing yourself up for your I told you so. Its a LEINSTER Senior final that they are in. Up to nearly 150 training sessions for the year. Each and everyone a Rhode die hard.. When you start sticking question marks beside their names at this stage in the competition you only going to ruffle some feathers.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

Best of luck to Rhode Sunday.

They should have nothing to fear from Crokes.

PS- Is Tommy Lyons still charirman of Crokes?

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Best of Luck to Rhode, whoever wins the game will have earned it because they are both extremely strong teams. I obviously hope Rhode win. They've been the best team in Offaly for the past 8 years or so and they deserve it.
The night is darkest before the dawn

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Just to add my best wishes to the village on Saturday. They are a great club, and play football the right way. I'd love to see Niall McNamee getting a Leinster Club medal, it would do his confidence a world of good.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Good luck to Rhode!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Leather to Leather
Junior C

Post by Leather to Leather »

redser wrote:Kavanagh has played on half forward line alright but he was positioned in the corner for the county final replay.

I fear for Rhode in Midfield, Super struggled against the McGees the last time they met which was the difference and I can see him struggling again as Darren McGee is playing very well. Rhode would do well to keep him out of the game.

Ive seen a bit of Kilmacud this year and they are a big tall physical side all over the pitch, suited to winter football. While Kavanagh and Vaughan get alot of the headlines, that will play corner or full and is quiet dangerous. very quick with ball in haand and heads straight for goal. Fermanagh county player Liam McBarron will line out around wing forward but hes a big lad who'll be used around midfield and on kick outs. Kilmacuds defence is quiet solid with county players Griffin, Nolan both Dubs and Adrian Morrisey who had a great year with Wexford playing wing back. Cian O' Sullivan who was suspended is a tight marker and he'll possibly come into their team aswell.

Johnny McGee has been used from the bench mostly being launched in at full forward. A tactic that got them two goals in the county final.

Rhode are better footballers, skill wise as a whole but i think at this time of year they will struggle against a physically strong and very very cock Kilmacud team. Im living in Dublin and the dubs are talking some amount of rubbish. Trust me they dont respect Rhode a bit and expect a handy win.

Best of luck Rhode, the whole of Offaly and id say Leinster is behind ye.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Coolestown1562 wrote:

I should probably leave this till monday, then we can analyse in greater detail. :D
I don't want to hear from you on Monday on any other day.
Be careful out their

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

azoffaly wrote:Just to add my best wishes to the village on Saturday. They are a great club, and play football the right way. I'd love to see Niall McNamee getting a Leinster Club medal, it would do his confidence a world of good.
I would add to that, Roy Malone, Alan McNamee and Pascal Kellaghan, great servants to Rhode and Offaly over the years. To me Niall Mc is as good a footballer as Matt Conner was and deserves some accolades/ medals.

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Best of Luck to Rhode, whoever wins the game will have earned it because they are both extremely strong teams. I obviously hope Rhode win. They've been the best team in Offaly for the past 8 years or so and they deserve it.

I would echo those sentiments, perhaps suggest that they have been the best club in Offaly over the past ten years; they lost three county finals in that period and could be as successful as Crossmaglen in Armagh if they had a bit of luck. If anyone knows what makes them so successful and such a strong club, could they share that secret, and perhaps the county teams could benefit from it.

Naas man (and Rhode Runner), I think you might be getting a bit carried away over my comments; I was just pointing out a few concerns. Good luck with the match on Sunday. Offaly hasn’t been successful in this competition in 22 years. May Rhode end that drought for Offaly. Best of Luck
Contae an Riogh

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Cheers Mate

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

[quote="Coolestown1562
Good luck with the match on Sunday. Offaly hasn’t been successful in this competition in 22 years. May Rhode end that drought for Offaly. Best of Luck[/quote]
Fair Play, thats all we wanted, Cheers
Be careful out their

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

RhodeRunner wrote: Each and everyone a Rhode die hard.. When you start sticking question marks beside their names at this stage in the competition you only going to ruffle some feathers.
Guys could be playing in an All-Ireland final, but should not be exempt from scrutiny. In fact, the further Rhode get, the more players will come under the spot-light and people will question whether they are good enough for this level. People involved should take it as a compliment.
Coolestown1562 wrote:
I would add to that, Roy Malone, Alan McNamee and Pascal Kellaghan, great servants to Rhode and Offaly over the years. To me Niall Mc is as good a footballer as Matt Conner was and deserves some accolades/ medals.

I would echo those sentiments, perhaps suggest that they have been the best club in Offaly over the past ten years; they lost three county finals in that period and could be as successful as Crossmaglen in Armagh if they had a bit of luck.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but these are two outrageous statements.

1) Niall Mc is gifted, no argument, but not in the same stratosphere as Matt Connor. There have been few forwards in the game in his class.

2) Rhode have won as many championships as they deserved to over the past 10 years. Cross have won 13 Championships in a row, 5 or 6 Ulster Clubs and 4 All-Irelands. With an awful lot of luck and most likely a different team, Rhode could be as successful as Cross.

Maybe you're talking about how good they could be, rather than how good they could've been? I'm not sure? Either way, I'll still disagree.

Don't be making up to them Rhode boys too much :wink:
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Niall is a far better player than Matt Connor was. Our own Frank Weir broke that Matt Connor myth a long time ago.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

bracknaghboy wrote:Niall is a far better player than Matt Connor was. Our own Frank Weir broke that Matt Connor myth a long time ago.
I've replied to you before about how highly I rated Frank Weir - in terms of raw talent. But is this debate even worth having? I don't think I need to provide any real strong argument here. I think that's for you to do. Tell us why Frank is a better footballer than Matt Connor? I'll sit here all evening and listen. But don't come back with stories about him kicking points from 100 yards playing Junior football.

That Frank Weir 'broke' the Matt Connor 'myth', must be a secret confined to those who live in the heartland - nobody else on this island is aware of it.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

When I went to school we were always told that by our teacher (who was over the underage teams) that Matt Connor was the greatest ever footballer that Offaly produced and there would unlikely be anybody better ever! Connor is always spoken of in this regard. I've seen plenty of Matt on video and I can see where people are coming from. Personnally I've seen two players better than him. The first one was Weir. The second is Niall McNamee.
Weir never played Junior football.To talk about his "Raw" talent is madness, its anything but raw its pure talent. He played Intermediate with Bracknagh. Then Senior with Bracknagh for 5 years between 2001 and 2005. He destroyed senior defences in that time. Kicked numerous sideline kicks over the bar, was untouchable when it came to high fielding and distribution. He's also one horse of a man on the ball....rock solid. He played a few games in the NFL in 1998 for Offaly. Got man of the match on his debut in Tullamore against Cork and kicked 5pts from play before dropping off the panel a couple of games later for his own reasons. Anyone who has been lucky enough to watch, play against him or play with him knows all about this man. Hes still playing Intermediate with Bracknagh and is still one of the best around.
Its no secret that Niall Mc is a better player than Connor was.....this is because he gets more exposure than Weir.McNamee has the look of a player that could have played in any era. When I seen McNamee play when he has 16-17 it was obvious what was about to come. I'm delighted the way hes turned out and hes so level headed about the whole thing. He'll show everyone again on Sunday what he's about.
In my opinion we've seen 2 players in the last 20 years better than Matt Connor.