2009 Leinster Fixtures

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

2009 Leinster Fixtures

Post by Archangel »

SFC
Kildare v Offaly 24.5.2009 Portlaoise

SHC
Offaly v Wexford 30.5.2009 T.B.A.

U21 Football
Westmeath v Offaly 7.2.2009 Tullamore

U21 Hurling
Kilkenny/Laois v Offaly 10.6.2009 Kilkenny/Portlaoise

Minor Football
Meath v Offaly 18.4.2009 Navan

Minor Hurling
Kilkenny v Offaly 2.5.2009 Kilkenny
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Re: 2009 Leinster Fixtures

Post by DD »

The usual ridin' of supporters - there's no reason our 1st round hurling and football couldn't be played the same day and venue..

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Archangel wrote:SFC
SHC
This venue will be decided by a coin toss, new home and away arrangement in place.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Treasurer wrote:
Archangel wrote:SFC
SHC
This venue will be decided by a coin toss, new home and away arrangement in place.
I was expecting another game in Nowlan Park.
However this should be fine.
Travelling down to Wexford Park is a bit of a journey though.

At least Tullamore will get some big matches over the years.
However with Offaly's notoriously poor support, there is every chance that Wexford would outnumber us in Tullamore!

I think Offaly are sometimes better off playing in a deserted Croke Park where at least any numerical advantage the opposition support have on us is lost in the funeral like stadium atmosphere.

Wastemeath came to Tullamore during the summer and vastly outnumbered the Offaly support.
When Shane Sullivan pulled down Dessie Dolan. I suspect that 2/3 of the O'Connor Park crowd baying for him to sent off, as well as Dolan's theatrics helped make up the referee's mind.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I see on this week’s ‘Offaly’ that Offaly and Wexford will toss for venue on Monday night.

With the TV money on offer, I think it makes sense to take the chance, rather than having that TV money going to Kilkenny! In fact, home-and-away arrangements could become much more commonplace in the next few years.

The hurling match is on the Saturday of the June bank holiday weekend, so if is in Wexford, we’ll hardly be in a hurry home – especially if Offaly win it :D

Interestingly, Wexford haven’t had a home match in the hurling championship since 1981 when Dublin travelled down to play them, Wexford winning well. The last one before that was in 1949! They had a home-and-away arrangement with Kilkenny, with Wexford’s home matches mainly taking place in New Ross. The arrangement ended in 1950 when a massive crowd thronged Nowlan Park, and all Kilkenny – Wexford matches have been in Croke Park since.

Then again, Wexford reached the Leinster final in each year of the round-robin qualifiers.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

This Year's Model
Junior B

Post by This Year's Model »

How are ye lads?
Hope ye don't mind me joining. Living in Offaly, so should qualify under Parish rule I suppose.
Heart is still in Wexford, but body removed now a good while. Offaly officially my second-favourite team :wink:
Just wondering if any of ye know the outcome of the coin toss for the hurling?
Thanks.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Put it this way, we'll be on to you for directions to Wexford as May draws to a close and the championship approaches. We're comin' to town !!

We'll even let you lead the sightseeing tour where we review the interior of some local hostelries.

It's years since I was in Wexford Town. Is Wexford the one where the train runs right by the quay wall? (or is that Waterford?)
This Year's Model wrote:How are ye lads?
Hope ye don't mind me joining. Living in Offaly, so should qualify under Parish rule I suppose.
Heart is still in Wexford, but body removed now a good while. Offaly officially my second-favourite team :wink:
Just wondering if any of ye know the outcome of the coin toss for the hurling?
Thanks.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

This Year's Model
Junior B

Post by This Year's Model »

No problem. Happy to oblige.
Yep, that's Wexford Town alright.
Wexford Park got a major overhaul there 6/7 years ago (which I'm still paying for), pretty much the same model as the new O'Connor Park (which is fab).
I wondered would we ever see it anywhere near full, so it looks like 30 May 2009 should eventually see it close to capacity at last.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

It is a fine set up in Wexford Park, though the only time I was there Mattie Forde was having shooting practice with Offaly.
I think it definitely helps Wexford's cause, as they will have a huge home vocal support.

I think the counties who developed their grounds badly need the revenue, so home and away agreements are the way to go.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Did you take that picture yourself BnaM??

I've been in wexford park a few times. It's a great set up, just a bit it's so far out of the way of the other counties to have neutral games. Only thing is tho, that stand suffers from sub zero temperatures!! It's always in shade, as shown in the picture. So it would suit our Shark crew on the opposite side!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Rynaghs Biffo wrote:So it would suit our Shark crew on the opposite side!!
The other side is uncovered seating.
Very civilised...

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Very civilised...
Are you implying that it's too civilised for the Shark mob, or for the locals? :D
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Lone Shark wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:
Very civilised...
Are you implying that it's too civilised for the Shark mob, or for the locals? :D
Probably both :!:

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

I think our lads are playing their league match away to wexford. It will be interesting to see if they move that one out of wexford park.
Its a fine ground though and there could be a great atmosphere there as the relatively small capacity might mean a full house. Thats what Leinster hurling needs as the players will feed off that like they do in munster. Playing in a half empty croker kills a match (Look at how bad the soccer is to watch there
though I know it wasn't much in Lansdowne either) or even at a neutral venue like nolan pk or portlaoise. The munster games come accross as classics as the roar of the crowd seems to add to the occaision, while sometimes the play on the pitch may not be that skillfull at all. Hopefully with the game fixed for a saturday a good crowd might travel and make a weekend of it. (damn it! just remembered i've to go to a wedding that weekend :cry: )
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Bord na Mona man
All Star

joe bloggs wrote:The munster games come accross as classics as the roar of the crowd seems to add to the occaision, while sometimes the play on the pitch may not be that skillfull at all.
That's fairly true. Munster games are played in more intimate venues which helps.

People from counties like Clare, Limerick, Cork, Tipp and Waterford can be a bit more loony upstairs too, when you compare them to more cultivated folk like Offaly.

By its nature Munster hurling is more of a battering competition anyway.
The crowd tends to feed off players careering into one another like juggernauts and flaking wildly.