New Proposed Airport for Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
midfield
County player

New Proposed Airport for Offaly

Post by midfield »

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 10798.html

Ambitious plan to build new airport in midlands

By Eimear Ni Bhraonain

Monday October 27 2008

A NEW airport is planned for the midlands in the heart of Taoiseach Brian Cowen's constituency.

Midland Airport Development Ltd is proposing to build an airport in Co Offaly. If the ambitious plans go ahead, up to 1,000 jobs could be created in the region. Private developers are currently engaged in talks with the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) about the project.

A group of 35 landowners in the Tubber area of Co Offaly, just a few miles from Clara where the Taoiseach was born, have been approached by the developers and an "optional agreement" has been reached.

The Irish Farmers' Association (IFA) entered talks with Midland Airport Development Ltd and it is understood an offer in the region of €40,000 per acre was made to landowners.

Talks are still at a "delicate stage". However, landowners in Tubber have said there is a lot of "goodwill" towards the project. A site opposite Tubber GAA grounds and running towards Horseleap has been earmarked for the development.

Architect and promoter of the airport, Patrick Little, said a study carried out by UK-based consultants confirmed that the concept of an airport in the midlands is "viable".

"Michael O'Leary has come out and publicly said there's not a hope in hell that it would happen but we're challenging that and hopefully he'll change his mind at some point in the future.

"We think it would have significant low-cost benefits. We're not looking at taking business away from Dublin Airport but we're looking at the way international practice is developing now where major airports would need a relief airport," he told the Irish Independent.

Mr Little has estimated that 1,000 jobs would be created during construction stages with a further 800 people employed at the facility in the long-term.

Consistent

"Midland Airport Development Ltd hopes to avoid delays in the planning process by applying directly to An Bord Pleanala under a fast-track planning procedure for strategic infrastructure," he added.

"We will still work closely with the county council but the traditional timeframe would be shortened and if we took that into account work could commence within about two years."

Offaly county manager Pat Gallagher said the plans for an airport were "consistent" with the county development plan.

"A submission was made by a group in consultation about an airport somewhere between Clara and Moate," he said.

"We did advise the promoters to submit site location details for further discussions with our planning staff. We'd be happy to discuss it with them once we get those details," he added.

- Eimear Ni Bhraonain

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: New Proposed Airport for Offaly

Post by bracknaghboy »

Heard this a while back and didn't think it would ever come to anything. I belive Ollie Daly is to have his own private jet :P !
Joking aside it would be great for Offaly. I'd love to see it go ahead as long as the impact on people living nearby was limited.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The biggest issue would be that it is close to Dublin airport.
Most places in the midlands are just over an hour from Dublin with the improved road network.

Regional airports like Knock and Farranfore serve more remote areas that have a lot of tourists.
Even then, they benefit from subsidies - which may well get the chop in the current climate.
They also traditionally have high volumes of emigrants going back and forth to the UK.

Unless the airport adopts a very low cost landing fees model, I suspect it would be difficult to attract any anchor tenants.

Hopefully low flying planes won't disturb my sleep! :mrgreen:

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

The fact that Dublin Airport is soo busy and soo gridlocked, it might make sense to have a feeder regional airport to relieve traffic on the main airport. They could attract a lot of the package holiday flights which are continuously delayed due to their night-time slots in the busy main airports. I could see it working, if Knock is still going, the Midlands Model should work.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Tubber to Charles de Gaulle will cost 129Euro one way I believe. Also flights to New York and LA are also being planned from the French capital via Tubber. I for one will no longer be holidaying in Clonmacnoise 8) . This airport will put us on the map no doubt about it!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Archangel wrote:The fact that Dublin Airport is soo busy and soo gridlocked, it might make sense to have a feeder regional airport to relieve traffic on the main airport. They could attract a lot of the package holiday flights which are continuously delayed due to their night-time slots in the busy main airports. I could see it working, if Knock is still going, the Midlands Model should work.
The only hope would be to undercut Dublin on landing fees and also on long term parking.
If you make it significantly cheaper for someone to park there for their two week break, then you might get some kind of market.
I think it will be a struggle for it to take off (har har)!

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

It seems like a perfect option for Ryanair, call it "Dublin Tubber", fly all their flights to Tubber instead of Dublin and have connecting buses to Dublin charged at €20 a head. Tis the job!!

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

without being too short... this is a ridiculous suggestion.....

in the face of huge issues in regional airports, collapse of many airlines, volitility of fuel prices.... and simple common sense.... this proposal is a joke.... is today 1st april?

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Sydthebeat wrote:without being too short... this is a ridiculous suggestion.....

in the face of huge issues in regional airports, collapse of many airlines, volitility of fuel prices.... and simple common sense.... this proposal is a joke.... is today 1st april?
Jesus thank Christ someone else said this! I was beginning to think I was the crazy one!! I'd like to add the following to the reasons mentioned above.

Tourism in Ireland is falling
Major businesses are thin on the ground here
The Government don't favour regional airlines as we can see with what is effictivly a €8 charge to fly out of regional airports
The Governemnt did nothing to encourage Aer Lingus to remain in Shannon

J to the O to the K to the E!
The night is darkest before the dawn

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I would use it. It would be excellent.

Regional airports are excellent. you are in and out the door in a few minutes.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

i think its a great idea .we could pack all the rednecks in offaly and fly them to an island somewhere and leave them there .loneshark can be their leader . and we can just change the name offaly to tullamore .
great history hoping for a better future

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

There aint but no way I'm gittin up on one them there metal birds. My blue ribbon cow rosy is my only means of trenspertatin.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:There aint but no way I'm gittin up on one them there metal birds. My blue ribbon cow rosy is my only means of trenspertatin.
Brilliant!! :lol:

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

i think its a great idea .we could pack all the rednecks in offaly and fly them to an island somewhere and leave them there .loneshark can be their leader . and we can just change the name offaly to tullamore .
Very mature idea. :roll:
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

True Red wrote:
Very mature idea. :roll:
Ah Red, go easy on the Lone Ranger there...he went missing for ages after Tullamore got a little trimming in the County Final. We wouldn't want him disappearing again :wink:
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!