First indication of football panel for 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

First indication of football panel for 2009

Post by Lone Shark »

According to the Tribune, the following players were invited into the preliminary county panel for 2009.

Edenderry Richie Dalton, Sean Pender, Robbie Glennon
Brigids Ken & Seán Casey, David Egan
Gracefield Slattery, Niall Smith
Walsh Island Rory Connor, Alan & Willie Mulhall, Gary Comerford
Raheen Conor Carroll
Shamrocks Neville & Thomas Coughlan, PJ Ward, Stephen Delaney, Padraic Kelly
Tullamore James Keane, Paul McConway, Mark Conlon, Gearóid O'Grady, John O'Donoghue.
Clara Matt Mitchell, Thomas Deehan, John Reynolds, Scott Brady, Joe Quinn, Kevin Meehan
Tubber Joe Higgins, Ciarán McManus
Ballycumber Rory Guinan
Rynaghs Ger & James Rafferty
Erin Rovers Declan Kelly, Dean Bracken, Kevin Lynam
Ferbane Colin Egan, Gerry Grehan
Doon James Coughlan
Shannonbridge Jason Kelly, Kieran Flannery
Birr Seán Ryan, Stephen Lonergan
K/K Conor Mahon, James Gorman.

Gearóid O'Grady confirmed that he'll be returning to rugby, Conor Carroll will be travelling, and the Rhode players weren't considered to take part until their stint in the club championships comes to an end. As we all know, Niall, Alan Mac and (I think) Shane Sullivan will be heading away for a couple of months.

Now caveats out of the way first - obviously there will never be a squad that everyone will agree on, and it's only natural to want more of your own. However, I'd have the following thoughts anyway.....

(1) Overall, I'm disappointed with the lack of experimentation, or anything different at all. There's no unknown quantities in here, lads that you might look at and think that something different might come out of them. It's pretty much last year's squad with a couple of additions. Matt Mitchell is the only guy that might add something really different, notwithstanding players improving etc. But in terms of a dark horse, nothing there.

(2) Along the same lines, a lot of tried and failed guys are in here. I don't want to turn this into a debate about particular players, but a lot of these guys are fellas that have passed their prime, are on the way back and simply will not offer anything new. Perhaps there are new roles imagined, but if a guy who's well into his late twenties or beyond wasn't making the team last year, or was a weak link in doing so, what are we really hoping for in 2009?

(3) No accusation of bias from Ollie Daly anyway. Ballycumber reach a semi and they get one representative - and that representative might not be able to commit. I'm not saying I'd have picked more, but he's either being very neutral or else very quiet.

(4) A couple of these players are way out of form - I understand that you don't want to give up on a guy who has proven talent, but one or two names in here - one in particular - were just about hanging on to their places in their club team. I think it sends out a very bad message if we re-inforce the notion that it takes years to play your way OFF the county panel.

(5) I know I said that I wasn't going to single out individual players, but I have to make a few exceptions. These would be extremely glaring omissions in my book.
(i) Alan Lynam. That display he gave against Ballycumber was utterly superb, and as a guy who is the only forward of note with his club, he is well used to getting plenty of attention, or being marked by the best defender the opponents have to offer. He scores consistently, he scraps for bad ball and he has just the right amount of a chip on his shoulder in the way he plays the game. He was one of the best six forwards in the county on club form this year. That's not to say that I'd pick him for the county team on the strength of it, but ahead of some of the guys named in here? You betcha. (
ii) Nigel Dunne. To me he was the best forward in the Shamrocks team and made more of a contribution than PJ - who as far as I heard, is not even going to be playing in Offaly next year. There's not too many teenagers in Offaly holding their place on a strong club team, never mind leading the forward line. Needs work, needs strength , but he definitely has the talent and would be a real dark horse.
(iii) Aidan Keenaghan. Ye'll accuse me of all sorts of bias, but I don't care - he started three championship games this year, against Rhode, Tullamore and Edenderry - no mugs in there. I'm not sure exactly, but I think he scored 4-4 in those three games from half forward, or an average of five points per game. Anyone who saw him play this year knows that he's definitely got the strength work under his belt, and right now he'd be on my fifteen - how he could be left out of 45 is mystifying. The only logic I can think of is that it's like the guy who breaks up with a girl because he's worried she'll break his heart eventually. Maybe they don't want to pick him because of the potential for knee injury.
(iv) Padraig Duffy. Strong, able to take a score, established as an anchor player on a strong team, used to playing in our county's weakest line....this is exactly the kind of player who I was referring to, who could look at some of the other names mentioned and decide to throw his hat at it because form is clearly of no interest to those making the calls.

Thoughts?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: First indication of football panel for 2009

Post by bracknaghboy »

I like to see these as well:
Bracknagh: Frank Weir, David Connolly. I know Frank would be unlikely to play but he should at least be called into the panel, would be the dream team full forward line with himself and Niall Mc. Connolly can still play a bit too! Too be honest we'd have nobody else in Bracknagh up to it. I don't like saying it but its time for McManus, Scott Brady, Alan Mc and Shane Sullivan to be left to concentraste on their club football. No offence to the boys but they simply are not near the standard required and we can't keep calling lads back season after season in the hope that they might play a good game or two. I'd like to see Roy Malone back as well, could work very well as an impact sub cos lord knows we'll need some impact from somewhere!!

redser
County player

Post by redser »

I agree totally with LS, Those 3 lads without question deserve at least a call up.

Its a joke if thats the panel called in. It really is sickening to see.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

Did Conor Evans not get invited in? Or was he not able to attend because his Dublin side were involved in the Dublin county final..

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Rat you can add Connor Evans to the list of players I mentioned above who should stick with club........The bottom line is that I'd rather see us pick loads of new players and give them a chance. We are wasting our time picking the same old faces and waiting to see if they can show they are up to it. Connor was never able for senior county football and that was obvious for 5 years. Its time to move on if these boys were not at the races in their early twenties then its outrages to think they'll find their way as they approach 30. With a few exceptions we should be picking only new faces and if we get hammered them at least we tried. We were disgraced by Westmeath and Down last year so theres no point in calling back in the boys invloved that day either. Offaly needs to be ruthless in this regard. McManus has been great but the game is up and he should not be considered anymore for selection but he has indicated he wants to play on so i get the feeling he will be kept on for sentimental reasons. Lets call a spade a spade.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

It's all a matter of opinion, but myself I would think that McManus still has plenty to offer. He wasn't our problem last year, and God knows we had enough of them. Even if you took the view that he wasn't contributing on the field, his attitude to training and preparation would be good to have in there.

That said, I think he still contributes a fair bit. Maybe he'll prove me wrong this year, but I think he's still good enough, strong enough and fit enough to be involved.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

There are 2 lads on that list who should never be let wear the Offaly Jersey again. When laois hammered us in the qualifiers in '05 they were subs and didn't even bother to show up for the match.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

bracknaghboy wrote:I like to see these as well:
Bracknagh: Frank Weir, David Connolly. I know Frank would be unlikely to play but he should at least be called into the panel, would be the dream team full forward line with himself and Niall Mc. Connolly can still play a bit too! Too be honest we'd have nobody else in Bracknagh up to it. I don't like saying it but its time for McManus, Scott Brady, Alan Mc and Shane Sullivan to be left to concentraste on their club football. No offence to the boys but they simply are not near the standard required and we can't keep calling lads back season after season in the hope that they might play a good game or two. I'd like to see Roy Malone back as well, could work very well as an impact sub cos lord knows we'll need some impact from somewhere!!

I agree with this. Offaly needs to take a lead in fostering raw talent. Frank Weir should be approached to join the panel

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

How many of the minor teams who reached Leinster finals in 2005 and '06 are listed above, or are they all playing hurling?

What age is Frank Weir now, given that he played NFL ten years ago? (That's the Gaelic NFL, not the American one, given the current Yankee focus!)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:How many of the minor teams who reached Leinster finals in 2005 and '06 are listed above, or are they all playing hurling?

What age is Frank Weir now, given that he played NFL ten years ago? (That's the Gaelic NFL, not the American one, given the current Yankee focus!)
I think Weir is 33 now.
I think its 10 years too late to be chasing him now.

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

Bord na Mona man wrote: I think Weir is 33 now.
I think its 10 years too late to be chasing him now.
If you have to chase some one to play for their county it's a bad sign from the off!
I wouldnt write off Conor Evans or Shane Sullivan, They are on their club teams. There is 1 name that many might find surprising seeing as he lost his club place after first club game, but he has ability and in this case I feel the footballers were trying to get him before the hurlers!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Why are we not mentioning names?
The night is darkest before the dawn

Tar Man
Junior A

Post by Tar Man »

Have to agree with Lone Shark about Aidan Keenaghan. In my biased opinion he was one of the best footballers in the county championship. He proved it against both county finalists in Ferbane's games against them.

I would also like to add David Lowry of Ferbane to the mix. I felt that he has matured a lot and in general had a very good year. I wouldn't consider him at midfield though where he played for Ferbane but at centre forward. His Free-taking would also be a great asset to the county.

I would also have Nigel Grennan back. I know that he didn't have a great year but I think that he still has a lot to offer. I think that he was affected from being shunted around the back-line.

We need a stronger and faster type of player between 5 and 12 than we currently have. Keenaghan and Lowry would add this in the half forward line. Our Half backs aren't the worst but it's in midfield that we suffer. We have no Ball-winning midfielder. Even in 2006 when we got to the Leinster Final we were losing the majority of the kick-outs. This has got worse in the last 2 years. From Lone Sharks info it doesn't seem like the new management have recruited anyone that can change this.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

We have been stronger than most Leinster counties bar Meath and Laois at underage for the past 3 or 4 years.
It is a bit disappointing that we aren't trying to bring through more of these young players.

While these sides weren't star studded, they played with the sort of collective determination and effort that you'd love all Offaly to perform with.
There are a few players who have been around a few years who dare I suggest are coasting in a comfort zone on the Offaly panel.

Ultimately though the success of otherwise won't hinge on whether certain individuals are or aren't on the panel.
It will be down to the correct preparation, attitude and application from the squad (and from management too).
I think the sort of carry on from the Roe era has to be quickly stamped out before we become another terminal basket case like Roscommon (with even less talent).

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Why are we not mentioning names?
To be honest this was me started this - not because it's not a legitimate topic of discussion, but more to save the thread going off on tangents about one player. For example, it would be easy focus on particular players, but then clubmates and fans of those players weigh in and we lose sight.

Particularly on a squad where to be honest, there would be widespread disagreement. This is going to sound like being controversial for the sake of controversial, but I've just done up my list of players for pig iron - albeit not a squad of that size. Twenty one of those names aren't on it. Where do you start discussing names on that level?

I'd be interested to see if anyone would like to weigh in and say that Richie's not too far off the mark. Then we have a discussion.