Minor Semi's

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
On the Ditch
Junior C

Minor Semi's

Post by On the Ditch »

Any word on how the sime-finals of the minor championship went? Forgot they were on this weekend ment to get home for the Clara v Tullamore game?

theman
All Star

Re: Minor Semi's

Post by theman »

Heard the edenderry semi final was abandoned a few minutes from time. Supposdly a big riot broke out between supporters and players. Dont know the full story as of yet.
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I was at the Tullamore vs Clara game - excellent match. It's an awful trite cliché, but neither side deserved to lose.

Am I right in saying that Martin Lowry was asked to come into the Offaly minor panel earlier this year and refused? (I heard that at the ground, but I'd prefer to get corroboration before believing it as fact.) It's an awful pity if he didn't - he took some great scores here and on a year when the two corner forward positions were up for grabs on our minor team, he could have been the difference in winning the Leinster title.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

The Geashill pitch was a disgrace are hardly marked out. Two Vincent's players were assaulted by Edenderry supporters.
These are the comments given to me by a friend who is involved with Vincents.
I can't vouch for them, but I'm sure there were 'two teams in it' so to speak, but if supporters did interact with players there would have to be some serious consequences. :(
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Archangel wrote:Two Vincent's players were assaulted by Edenderry supporters.
There is truth in this and I dearly hope these people get their comeuppance, it's not before time that some of those involved are given life bans. They poison the Edenderry club and are an embarrasment to anyone from the town.

All that said, that is a very one sided view of what went on. Firstly the game was all but won for Edenderry and the reds had held their discipline very well despite serious provacation by St. Vincents players and indeed the incident that led to mayhem breaking out was caused by further indiscipline by St. Vincents.

It could end up with both clubs being thrown out which would be very harsh punishment on the Edenderry managenment and players, but it might force the club to have a major look at itself and try to deal with those who were involved..

Archangel
All Star

Post by Archangel »

Edenderry indeed were the better team and Vincents had been too involved in 'hittin up lads' instead of playing football, but there has been a bit of simmering discontent between the two clubs over the past while, and I'm not surprised at what happened.
I am sure it is one or two 'individuals' who ruined it an we can't tarnish both clubs totally, but something is going to happen.
Possible both teams will get the boot, but if they order a replay I think Vincent's will pass on it, the won't play Edenderry again this year.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

[quote][/quote] DD said
'There is truth in this and I dearly hope these people get their comeuppance, it's not before time that some of those involved are given life bans. They poison the Edenderry club and are an embarrasment to anyone from the town'

Here, here...and about time to.

Sad to see what would have been percieved one of the few up and coming players in the county and certainly from the St Vincents team acting the way he did in a seperate incident which he was sent off for. When you see a player doing this you know he will never feature at inter county level
Contae an Riogh

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

LS form what i've heard he actually went to offaly minor trainin and was told to go home!! he was unreal on saturday.. the difference between the two teams.. himself and young anton sullivan would have been some pairing inside for offaly minors this year.. is Lowry underage again next year? i know Sullivan is.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

bazza wrote:LS form what i've heard he actually went to offaly minor trainin and was told to go home!!
Now I have no facts on this, but that doesn't seem to tally with the impression I got of this management team this year. Obviously they might have got him on a bad night, they mightn't have seen what we saw on Saturday, but I can't see them being as tactless as that.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

I hear speculation is mounting tullamore are just going to be given the cup.. the hoganstand stand has a report aswell saying its more than likely Tullamore will get the cup.. anyone have any concrete info on the story?? match tomorrow is called off anyway.. any chance Clara and Tullamore will play again for final?? 8)

Archangel
All Star

Post by Archangel »

bazza wrote:I hear speculation is mounting tullamore are just going to be given the cup.. the hoganstand stand has a report aswell saying its more than likely Tullamore will get the cup.. anyone have any concrete info on the story?? match tomorrow is called off anyway.. any chance Clara and Tullamore will play again for final?? 8)
Another handy one for Tullamore. By all accounts they should have lost to Clara, and the other two knocked each other out,.. :roll:

Still, it's never how, it's how many, that's the bottom line, scores on the doors etc....

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Archangel wrote:
bazza wrote:I hear speculation is mounting tullamore are just going to be given the cup.. the hoganstand stand has a report aswell saying its more than likely Tullamore will get the cup.. anyone have any concrete info on the story?? match tomorrow is called off anyway.. any chance Clara and Tullamore will play again for final?? 8)
Another handy one for Tullamore. By all accounts they should have lost to Clara, and the other two knocked each other out,.. :roll:

Still, it's never how, it's how many, that's the bottom line, scores on the doors etc....
In fairness I'm usually well up for a bit of Tullamore bashing, but over the course of the eighty minutes of football they deserved their win, on a day when both teams had a lot to be proud of. They had the best of the first half, Clara dominated the second, but Tullamore still came up with an excellent point once clara drew level. They also got a couple of very well taken goals in extra time after Clara's goal could have sucker-punched them. There was feck all between the teams and I'd give Clara every chance if they were to play again tomorrow, but this wasn't a case of "should have lost".

In hindsight that match would have been a great final - it's a pity it wasn't.

Archangel
All Star

Post by Archangel »

LS, my comments were tongue-in-cheek, no real offence was aimed at Tullamore.
If they are handed the trophy sometime soon, there will be a hollowness to the victory is all I'm saying,
and that's not their fault, it's just how it all worked out.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Archangel wrote:LS, my comments were tongue-in-cheek, no real offence was aimed at Tullamore.
If they are handed the trophy sometime soon, there will be a hollowness to the victory is all I'm saying,
and that's not their fault, it's just how it all worked out.
I guessed as much, but the Tullamore mafia are still lurking in the shadows, we won't go disturbing the peace by upsetting them yet again.... :P