New Jerseys Please - A call to all Fans

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

New Jerseys Please - A call to all Fans

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Just thought I'd issue a plea to any posters or viewers with either the clout or contacts in the county board to try and get new jerseys introduced for the Offaly hurlers and footballers. Not unlike the vintage garment of 1994 and 1998, the current issue has been around for far too long. Every other county in the country (successful or otherwise) has changed their own numerous times over the last few years, Cork and Kilkenny in hurling even go as far as to change theirs every two years. So at this stage it has to be said it's getting a bit embarassing.

A motion for change was introduced and defeated last year so here's hoping for a better response this year. Above all else it would bring in plenty of revenue as most Offaly fans would buy the new kit, I'd imagine that sales of the present jersey have long since stagnated.

So Lone Shark, any chance of calling in a few of those favours you've saved up in the county board?
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: New Jerseys Please - A call to all Fans

Post by Lone Shark »

Favours I've saved?? :shock:

Methinks there would be plenty of the county board would be delighted to see the back of me, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm pretty sure that this is in train anyway. I'm not expecting anything radical, but I think it'll be done this winter - so I believe anyway. I wouldn't expect too many radical changes though.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

This is in progress at the moment.

As for defeating the change last year, I think most people there on the night in question were willing to change, but didnt' like the options that were in front of them.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

How much revenue would the county coard generate from it??

I've often heard from people that it's the most popular neutral jersey, being so close to the irish colours.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It’s important that the green isn’t diluted too much by having too much white and gold on the top half of the jerseys. Green in the only ‘strong’ colour while the white and gold are relatively weak. That was the problem with the gold band across the green in 2002, up close it looked fine but from a distance it almost completely diluted the striking green.

Green shoulders and sleeves should be used, in my view. Interestingly, when the gold sleeves were first introduced in 1994, the border between green and white was lower down but over the years this gradually moved upwards.

I wonder how would green togs look? Anyone recall from Rhode’s Leinster final against Moorefield when they wore the county colours with their own green togs?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

the county board have set up a committe of four people to look at new designs, the captain of the footballers and hurelers also have a say.

I spoke with a Westmeath footballer who told me 3 years ago that county boards recieve €10 per shirt sold.....

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

There is a couple of new designs on the way from O'neills for perusal by the officials and our county teams will definitely be togging out in a new strip for next years competitions.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Will the new strip help us beat the Flour Bags???, I hope so for my sake.
Be careful out their

biffo Dearg
Junior C

Post by biffo Dearg »

please lets go back to the glas, ban 's oir. none of this trimming, or gold on green strips etc.
kit similar to the 71 all ireland.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

I always thought this type of jersey would look well in the offaly jersey, with green spread across into the sleeves, and maybe the green togs too?

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Green togs? Sceptic. Now lets hear no more of that!

The green on the jersey though could be highlighted a bit though purely for a better appearance on tv screens. Something like the green of the 2007 limerick jersey perhaps?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Green on top, white in the middle, gold on the bottom. Do whatever you like with the sleeves.

The jerseys will look just fine when we are playing top flight hurling and football in a couple of years.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think a change is needed.
Also, the county board should operate a policy of changing every 3 years like most counties do.
This should be stated up front rather than haphazardly changing when the mood is on them.

Offaly had the same jersey for 8 years - 94 to 2002.
And the current one has been used from '03 to '08.

This makes no sense commercially or from a good will point of view.
I'm not talking about ripping off fans, I'm talking about people buying something and not knowing when it may become obsolete.
Also, if parents knew when the jersies were going to change, they could know when to buy, or wait.
With growing children, some sort of knowledge of a jersey's shelf life would help.

I think Offaly should go back to the more 80s style jersey as POTH has hinted at.
Strong colours, rather than a collage.
GAA jersies have started to become increasingly tatty and gaudy with all sorts of stripes and shading.
They are starting to look like the sort of tat worn in Rugby League.

Offaly shouldn't wait for O'Neills to present them with whatever tacky look their design department has come up with.
You can put together your own jersey designs and get them custom made.
Hopefully the Offaly delegation take an active part in the design process rather than sitting back and getting it dished out to them.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

O'Neills will just give designs that are easy for them to do...

we definitely need an 'away' jersey. this design gets my vote Image
only the best...

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Well said Bord na Mona man, a pro active approach is whats needed.