RTE coverage -v- TV 3 Coverage

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the rat
All Star

RTE coverage -v- TV 3 Coverage

Post by the rat »

Who is providing the best coverage at the momemt RTE or TV 3?

RTE are shading it at the moment in my opinion, though I am not a big fan of the Sunday Game format with Spillane, too many pundits in the studio.

TV 3's coverage is basically Setanta's, with only Cooper being supplied by TV 3. They have done a better job than I expected. Far better than the soccer coverage they provide.

Phoenix
All Star

Re: RTE coverage -v- TV 3 Coverage

Post by Phoenix »

I reckon TV3 are miles ahead, mainly because of the quality of the pundits. The likes of Eugene McGee, Liam Hayes, Peter Canavan all give thought-provoking input, even if you don't agree with all of it sometimes, and some of the less well known names are even better. Matt Cooper is a great host.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

TV3 have gone very well - mainly cos we can bear the commentator without wanting to smash the tv. Cooper has been better than expected too - I can't stand him on the wireless!

Well done tv3

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Both basically the same, same format, commentator & expert, then panel at breaks.
At least it gives us potentially more games live.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I'm with Turk on this. I've been very pleasantly surprised by Matt agus na buachailli eile. Maybe it's tallest pygmy syndrome, but the Finneran lad from Roscommon or Mayo is a far better commentator than Ger Canning (so is my lawnmower by the way, less pointless noise), and the likes of Canavan, Connell, Regan, McGee and co have not yet reached the point where they feel everything has to be controversial to keep their 'image' intact. Unlike O'Rourke and Brolly especially, but also Lyons and McStay.

I find it much 'mellower' viewing.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kerryyounglad
Junior B

Post by kerryyounglad »

Archangel wrote:Both basically the same, same format, commentator & expert, then panel at breaks.
At least it gives us potentially more games live.
yeah never before have we had 5 games live on tv on 1 weekend!!!
SAT
Monaghan V Derry TV3 3pm
Offaly V Waterford RTE2 5pm
Cork V Galway RTE2 7pm
SUN
Armagh V Fermanagh TV3 2pm
Dublin V Wexford RTE2 4pm

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I think TV3 are doing ok, and will improve with experience, their panellists who are a breath of fresh air incidentally, give an honest opinion. The RTE panel could be retired, as they seem to be past their sell by date, including Pat Spillane. There must be panelists outside the 'traditional' counties to give an opinion. The Sunday Game format looks jaded, what is the point of the virtual game analysis?.

Fido
Intermediate

Post by Fido »

TV3 have done well, even simple little innovations like showing the teams as they're picked to line out against each other before the match shows a bit of fresh thinking. At the end of the day I suppose you'll watch the match that you want to see, not the channel with the best analysis. Competition is a great thing though and it's no harm to shake RTE up a bit. Aertel GAA info as has been mentioned elsewhere is a disgrace, often has handball and women's football info (no offence) but no sign of U21 matches etc.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

On RTE's coverage, the "head to head" is rubbish.

Wow, one lad scored 3 points (including 2 frees) and the other scored 1 and had a wide.