Offaly vs Waterford

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

Offaly vs Waterford

Post by Offalys Future »

There has been a nice bit of talk on the Limerick game but i think its
time to move on from that. The game was won fair play but you have to move on too.
Dont get me wrong now it was a super win, but should that be it for this Offaly team?
One win doesnt make a summer.

What it does give is serious confidence and momentum to this Offaly team.
I didnt think Offaly would win last week, but on any given day 15 vs 15 they are well capable
of achieving anything they want. I have always said that we have great talent in the county,
we just need the proper coaches, guidance and structures in place.
I spoke with a player after and we talked about these young hurlers and he remarked to me that
imagine if we had top proper coaches at underage - how good these players really could be?

Anyhow thats for another day. Waterford Saturday should be a cracker. There is serious pressure
on Waterford going into this game and Offaly are again the underdogs.
I really think we have a great chance of winning this game.
There are some really great duels to look forward to.
Franks vs Mullane
Bergin vs v McGrath
Brady vs Browne

If Offaly can be in the game after the 40thmin mark i can see them winning.
These waterford players dont have the heads for a tight game against a team that they are supposed to hammer.

This is what the summer is all about. Semple stadium 40,000 people. Big names, big matches, great atmosphere.
Its great to be involved.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

azoffaly
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Waterford

Post by azoffaly »

Hear hear. On all counts.

One swallow, does not a summer make, but it shows they still know the way!

It's up to us to build on that, grow in confidence, keep up the intensity and we'll give anyone a game.

As for your last sentence, couldn't agree more.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

Offaly's Future is upbeat. We're f*cked.
Esto Fidelis

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Of all the teams we could be set up to play, I don't see much chance that Waterford won't take us seriously. Two league wins over them in recent years plus a manager who was part of the Clare 1998 team will mean that they'll be operating at full intensity this weekend. Having said that, there's still every reason for believing that a win can be obtained here. One of the most significant aspects to last weekend's win for me was the performance of Shane Dooley. From being a one man forward line for the Leinster Championship in terms of heavy scoring, we suddenly have several players who can raise three or four flags on a given day. That's a sea change in Offaly hurling and as long as the half back line and midfield keeps sending in measured, targetted deliveries, I'd fancy several of our forwards to score well against the Waterford backs. (By the way, kudos to Kevin Brady in that regard - I've lambasted him before for playing aimless balls up into the air but he sorted it out and used possession very well last weekend - credit where it's due.)

Eoin Kelly will be a very different opponent to Sean O'Connor for Kenny on the edge of the square and I hope there is a clear plan in terms of what to do if Kelly goes walkabout from full forward. Kenny's fielding is of limited use if Waterford don't put any high ball in on top of him. That's one aspect they'll need to plan for.

Another is to have Joe Brady prepared for Ken McGrath's tricks. I don't like vilifying any player but what McGrath did to Moran last year was downright unforgiveable and it shows a dirty streak which I've no doubt he'll employ against a youngster like Joe, even if Bergin is well able to look after himself.

There's a good game on the cards here - hopefully. As long as the players did come out of the limerick game looking forward rather than just happy with what they had done, then we have every chance.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Loughers wrote:Offaly's Future is upbeat. We're f*cked.
I'd see this more as a convergence of hope and expectations.

If Waterford dare to overlook us - great. If they don't - just as well.

Best of luck to the lads in hopes that they do themselves proud.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kerryyounglad
Junior B

Post by kerryyounglad »

waterfords backs are there weakpoint so wes hould exploit them with 13.brian carroll 14.joe bergin 15.shane dooley in the full forward line.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

My feeling is that Offaly might find to hard to repeat the heroics of last Saturday. There is only 7 days to get the players refocused.

It was much better teed up to shock Limerick than it will be to do the same to Waterford.
Limerick were a team that had overachieved last year and most likely over confident. They aren't that skilful to start with, so need to play with a high intensity to win matches with their power game.

On Saturday, Offaly have no element of surprise. Waterford playing badly, would still be a fair bit better than Limerick playing badly.

The is some sources of hope for Offaly. Joe Bergin has scored heavily in the last 2 league meetings between the two sides which Offaly have won. Getting good supply to him could be a winner. If the Offaly backs can tie up Mullane, Kelly and Big Dan, then make the likes of Molumphy, Hurney and Brick Walsh would have to try and get the scores instead.

Waterford's indiscipline may also rear its head. If Offaly can frustrate Waterford by closing them down, blocking them and hooking them, then Waterford have several players capable of losing the rag and pulling strokes. Especially the townie hurlers like McGrath, Kelly and Mullane.
When the sides played in Birr 2 years ago, Offaly did exactly that on the narrow Birr pitch and eventually Eoin Kelly got sent off for pulling on Mick O'Hara who was on the ground and then kicking him.
If Ken McGrath is full back, and if Joe Bergin could manage to unsettle him, there is the potential for red mist too.

This is all predicated on Offaly managing to get off to good start and managing to impose their game on Waterford. Probably the most likely scenario is Waterford going in front early and staying in front.
I think Waterford have a point to prove after ousting Justin McCarthy, so there is little chance of catching Waterford sleeping.
I'd expect Scrappy Doo to have them fairly fired up...though maybe too much of this could help Offaly

While Offaly's win against Limerick may have helped turn the corner for Offaly hurling, it is hard to turn into a consistently good side after 5 or 6 years of under performing. One good performance doesn't mean you will keep playing well from here on in.
Waterford have been consistently in the top 3 teams in the country for 5 or 6 years. They have more experience of winning big games than Offaly have.

Perhaps Waterford are now over the hill, under prepared and taking Offaly for granted. I don't believe so, but an Offaly win would probably be attributed to one or all of these. Offaly need to play like they did against Limerick and most importantly manage to avoid setbacks. A couple of Waterford goals could very easily see Offaly revert to old bad habits.
My guess id that there is a 75% chance of Waterford winning this, but I still think there is plenty of reason for Offaly to hope.

Deise Man
Junior C

Post by Deise Man »

Hello there the faithful! Greetings from de Deise and congrats on a super and well deserved win last week! Very interesting reading some of the posts here which in fairness are well balanced.

One thing to note is that nobody and I mean nobody in Waterford is taking anythin for granted! We have learned from mistakes of the past and are completely fired up and focused on this game! The Waterford fans are going to travel in huge numbers to Thurles on Sat to roar on de Deise! There has been huge amounts of bad press written about this team over the years, some justified and some way over the top.

A few references here refer to Ken McGrath here which are unfair! Ken has being a superb hurler for Waterford for the last 13 years. John Mullane has also had his troubles in the past but has not really put a foot wrong for 5 years now! He is constantly targeted by teams like Cork and Clare with the intention of getting him sent off which imo is well enough said!

Regards the game I think if yee play like yee did last week, fast, free flowing and hunting in packs its going to be very close to call. Bookies have this one completely wrong on paper both teams are evenly matched. Interesting battles will be in the full back line and the half forward line.

Looking forward to seeing all Offaly fans in Thurles on Sat so safe trip down and may the best team win

Deise Man

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Bord na Mona man wrote: My guess id that there is a 75% chance of Waterford winning this, but I still think there is plenty of reason for Offaly to hope.
Seems about right. Like you say, tough to get the focus with such a short recovery time. Hoping they'll be ready.

Nice to be discussing a meaningful game this time of year.

Hi Deise Man, good luck to you on Saturday. Nice of you to drop in and as you say...may the best team win.

UP THE FAITHFUL!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I'm hopeful, but it's a huge ask. Offaly are still off the pace, one result against a poor, poor, Limerick side doesn't change that. However, what delighted me about Saturday wasn't the result, or the 10 point margin, because of Limericks paucity, but the manner in which Offaly hurled. It was pure Offaly.

Block, hook and tackle from 1-15. Go in for every single ball. Catch the ball, and if you can't, then bat it down to a colleague. In attack, don't shoot stupidly. Look for free colleagues. Try to give 60-40 or better passes, bot 50-50 or worse hoofs. Keep the ball moving, and moving fast. Ground Strokes with a purpose, not just for the sake of it if lifting is easier and more beneficial.

All in all, it was stuff I haven't seen from us for about 5 years, or more. Probably back to the Cork semi final of 2000 really.

The challenge now is to build on that, and show the same level of desire, hunger and intelligence against a team which will be on a different level mentally to Limerick. Waterford will not be out worked by Offaly, or else they have zero pride left. They also have better hurlers in key positions, like Ken McGrath, Eoin Kelly, Dave Bennet, Michael Walsh, Dan Shanahan and John Mullane.

David Kenny will have to hurl the same again, as will Bergin. Bergin at full forward will test McGrath if he's in there, because McGrath is not a full back, great hurler and all as he is.

If Offaly can compete, and again hold Waterford to a low, or zero, goals tally, we'll have a chance, because I still think Waterford's full back line is porous, and if McGrath is back there, and PRendergast in the corner, the likes of Shane Dooley, Daniel Currams et al, might have a bit of success.

My head says Waterford with a bit to spare, 6-8 points. My heart says 'Uibh Fhailí Abú'.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Waterford's indiscipline may also rear its head. If Offaly can frustrate Waterford by closing them down, blocking them and hooking them, then Waterford have several players capable of losing the rag and pulling strokes. Especially the townie hurlers like McGrath, Kelly and Mullane.
When the sides played in Birr 2 years ago, Offaly did exactly that on the narrow Birr pitch and eventually Eoin Kelly got sent off for pulling on Mick O'Hara who was on the ground and then kicking him.
If Ken McGrath is full back, and if Joe Bergin could manage to unsettle him, there is the potential for red mist too.
Deise Man wrote: A few references here refer to Ken McGrath here which are unfair! Ken has being a superb hurler for Waterford for the last 13 years. John Mullane has also had his troubles in the past but has not really put a foot wrong for 5 years now! He is constantly targeted by teams like Cork and Clare with the intention of getting him sent off which imo is well enough said!
Deise Man
Deise Man,
Ken McGrath is a superb hurler and you are right that he has turned himself around and has lost that part of him that used to get him into trouble. Its a pity about the other two and I agree with Bord na Mona man here. Kelly for what he did to Mick O`Hara (will never forgive him), and only lately in the game against Antrim for the Dub style goading of an Antrim back after scoring a goal. True lack of class. As for tiny tears Mullane I feel his reputation preceeds him a bit but still can lose the head. Hopefully there is nothing but good hard hurling in store for us on Saturday evening.
"Ohhh mamma!"

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I will always have respect for Mullane after the way he held his hand up after his sending off against Cork that time. However this..
As for tiny tears Mullane
..is class :D

Kelly lost the head up in Birr that day. It looked shocking at the time, and TV didn't do him any favours either. However, I think it's frustration, rather than bad mindedness with him. The kissing of the badge and all that against Antrim was surprising to me, and unfortunate, but I think it probably had a lot to do with him being at home, and picked again after falling out with Justin.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Some thoughts on Offaly vs Waterford

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Sunday was spent wishing the day away waiting for the fourth round qualifier draw. Waterford or Galway? Opinion locally was divided, pretty much depending on peoples’ opinions of the enigma that is Galway senior hurlers. Galway’s running or Waterford’s brute force? Tribesmen or Deise? Loughnane or Fitzgerald?

6.40pm ticked around and Offaly were matched with Waterford. There would be no local derby, not for a while anyway. Waterford, the nearly men of hurling, All-Ireland semi-finalists five times in the last ten years but never yet made it through to the big day in September. If desire and hunger was enough to win hurling matches Waterford would win this one hands down.

New Waterford manager David Fitzgerald has wasted no time putting his own stamp on the county team with the game’s newest innovation – the attacking full back. The position has been a troublesome one for Waterford and the Sixmilebridge man handed Ken McGrath, probably the best attacking centre half back in the game, the white and blue number 3 jersey for the qualifier tie against Antrim a fortnight ago. Obviously McGrath did not get any kind of a test that day and Suirside opinion is divided as to whether this should be continued.

In recent years Waterford’s extended championship runs have come as a result of their forwards’ physical strength and score taking ability. Their defence delivered the ball quick and long into their forwards who, while big, are also mobile and looked to create space. Very often they confuse defences with frequent rotation of their forwards. Despite being under new management this is one aspect of Waterford’s play we can expect to continue.

Offaly really need Diarmuid Horan fully fit to mark Dan Shanahan. Horan’s loss would be a major blow to Offaly and while James Rigney is a fine hurler the Kinnitty man would be at a major height disadvantage here. Offaly could of course move Kevin Brady across though they could also withdraw Rory Hanniffy to wing back and introduce Conor Mahon, or indeed Rigney, to midfield. Mahon, with his drive and energy might do well against Waterford.

Newcomer Gary Hurney is a ballwinning centre half forward. Can Ger Oakley counter this? Oakley did well enough against Ollie Moran the last day. Stephen Molumphy lined out at left half forward against Antrim and was one of hurling’s best newcomers last year but is now replaced by Seamus Prendergast. Prendergast is big, strong and is good for a few scores. He needs careful watching from Kevin Brady and Waterford’s picking three big men in their half forward line makes Offaly’s mind up here if Horan doesn’t make it. Brady had a tendancy to come infield when the opposition ran at him early on against Limerick which gave Niall Moran a couple of clear shots at goal. Later on, for some reason, Mark Foley and Seamus Hickey began to run infield, left to right, instead of exploiting this further. However unlikely, if the Offaly half backs can do as well under opposition’s puckout again they will give themselves a decent chance. On the other hand, if Waterford can gain clean possession in this sector Offaly will be in big trouble.

John Mullane will cover acres of ground inside the ‘45’ and also has a very good right hand side which he rarely uses. I wonder will Offaly switch David Franks over to mark the de La Salle clubman leaving Michael Verney to mark Eoin McGrath. On the other hand Verney hurled well against Limerick, repaying management’s faith in him with a competent performance on the highly rated Andrew O’Shaughnessy. David Kenny will probably be marking Eoin Kelly. Kelly was mean and hungry against Antrim though there was hardly any need for the throwing of shapes which followed either of his two goals that day.

Both have competent goalkeepers with good puckouts; no distinct advantage here. Mullins’ dealing with the dropping ball while facing the setting sun was good last Saturday. Although Waterford had their expected big win over Antrim, 6-18 to 0-15, they led 4-6 to 0-10 at the break, not a convincing lead. That’s ten scores each, although it does tell us that the Suirsiders will be hungry for goals. The absence of an Antrim full back line was a not-insignificant factor also.

Michael Walsh was partnered by Dave Bennett against Antrim though Bennett is replaced by the unknown Jamie Nagle. Midfield was Offaly’s best line the last day where Rory Hanniffy and Brendan Murphy each had their best games for some time. If the Offaly midfield pair can drop back and pick up breaking ball from the Oakley/Hurney duel Offaly will stand a chance of a win.

Brian Carroll benefitted from his new wing forward role against Limerick. He was much more involved in the game rather than waiting for slow ball to come in. He also revelled in the extra space from which he took some fine scores. Mark Foley did get through an amount of work also. Carroll will likely be opposed by Jack Kennedy on Saturday with Derek Molloy being picked up by Shane O’Sullivan on the opposite wing. Joe Brady did well the last day curbing the influence of Brian Geary, and he improved as the match went on. He will certainly be strong enough for Tony Browne (or Ken McGrath) and really needs to stop Waterford from dominating in this area if Offaly are to be in with a chance. If Brady can stop Browne from catching there will again be much breaking ball for hungry Offaly hurlers. If not, Offaly will struggle.

The Offaly full forward line benefitted the last day with a much better quality supply of ball from outfield. Many first half scores came from the left flank where Daniel Currams came outfield and with the ball played over his head for Joseph Bergin or Derek Molloy to run onto. Declan Prendergast is a big, strong defender who will put Shane Dooley under severe pressure. Dooley will need to stay mobile and hope the ball breaks his way if he is to continue his scoring form.

Waterford will feel that if they can stop Bergin scoring goals they will be well on the road to Croke Park. His clash with Ken McGrath will go a long way to deciding this tie. Most of all, they need to stop McGrath clearing the ball quickly. Offaly forwards’ workrate and effective tackling did much to forge the win down Shannonside The Waterford defence, in possession, will take the path of most resistance, bursting through the Offaly tacklers and making space to clear while on the front foot. The surprising thing about Limerick last Saturday was that they didn’t look for physical contact at all, instead looking to hurl their way out of defence, which led them into trouble. Perhaps a sign they just weren’t up for the fight.

Hurling history is full of teams who hit form on one day and were unable to reproduce it thereafter. Its unlikely Offaly will get the sort of ball they enjoyed against Limerick. Waterford’s strongest line is their half forwards and Brady, Oakley and Horan, if he is fit to line out, will be under severe pressure. If they can manage to break the ball where midfield can win those breaks and set up the forwards they have a chance. I think the forwards will do OK given the possession, moreso the half forward line. It would be much more clearcut if we knew just how good Limerick were.

What we can’t tell is how Offaly will do in a tight match, which would be their first this year. Or how they would do coming from behind, which they might well have to. Hunger is the key. Last Saturday they were driven by the desire to beat a top team. The seven day turnaround is a handicap though the muted after-match reaction was encouraging. Have all their targets been achieved for the year or is there a desire for more? We won’t find out until Saturday.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Has anyone a suggestion as to the best place in Thurles to have a few pints & sample the atmosphere before the game tomorrow ?
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

There's a nice littlepub called Skehan's in the corner of the square just as you head for the pitch.
Esto Fidelis