Hurling or Football???

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bula bula
All Star

Hurling or Football???

Post by bula bula »

Who would I prefer to see doing well?

The minors brilliant win on Wednesday night and our previous decent results at this level has got me dreaming of future glories in the bigger ball code. I didnt get to the game as I was working but the reports I got excited me and I have never put in such a happy night shift! Even after the Wexford game in Birr I didnt feel as elated. Now this is where I started to think, would I prefer the footballers to be doing well over the hurlers? I had in my mind always preferred to watch the hurling as a game and I presume the sucess and the brilliant teams we had only whetted my appetite for more. I dont remember the win in `82 as I was just a lad, so has the lack of sucess in my lifetime made me hungry for something in football? Is it because I am from the north side of the county? Or is it because the football seems harder to win? Now it would be great to be going for the two but would that be asking for too much from our small county to do again? Anyone else getting carried away and having their mind wandering to the possible future?
"Ohhh mamma!"

faithful till I die
Senior

Re: Hurling or Football???

Post by faithful till I die »

I think that most people would have a slight leaning toward one sport or the other probably based on a number of factors including where they were born and which sport they played more themselves. However having said that I think one of the unique aspects of Offaly is that we are despite our size a true dual code county. So for what its worth I feel equally passionate about either code and will take any success going at the moment. I was getting a bit down hearted about the football but then the minors restored my believe that as long as there is breath in our lungs Offaly GAA will keep on fighting.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

that is a hard one to answer. i love to see offaly do well no mather what code we are playing but if it came down to it id have to say id love to see sam being brougt back to tullamore if for no other reason that i have seen liam mc carthy twice in my young life.
great history hoping for a better future

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

Being from Birr, I'd have to say hurling, but like a previous poster said, I think we are a true dual county. I've never met an Offaly man from north of the county who didn't love small ball. I've met a few from my end who wouldn't be mad on big ball but by and large, we love Offaly, end of. My top five Offaly moments show the mix:

1) Clare in semi-final in Thurles (best atmosphere, before, during and after)
2) Meath in Leinster final (from where we came from, unreal)
3) Offaly in 82 (in awe of stopping Kerry)
4) Limerick in 94 (what a rollercoaster ride)
5) Kilkenny in 80 (momentous)
Esto Fidelis