OFFALY V KILKENNY.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

OFFALY V KILKENNY.

Post by black and red exile »

After the nightmare of last Saturday night its time to turn our attentions to next Sunday and the mammoth of a task facing the lads. I just cannot see any more than 5 or 6000 people being in attendance. kk won't travel in great numbers and I can't see too many travelling from the faithful either. If ever one of our teams need us behind them its next Sunday. I know we are all pig sick after Saturday night and most Offaly people will look upon next Sunday with as much enthusiasm as going to the dentist but anybody who has any breath in their bodies please descend on O' Moore pk next Sunday.

Offalys Future
All Star

Re: OFFALY V KILKENNY.

Post by Offalys Future »

If i am to be honest i dont think Offaly have a hope in hell on Sunday. Looking at the team sheet i honestly wouldnt be able to name 2 hurlers that will score at least 2 points this weekend. that for me is very worrying.
I think that last years team would have a better chance this Sunday, it's great having so many u-21s but is it really?
how many minor and u-21 leinsters have they? none. So how good are they?
Offaly should be calling on players like Colm Casssidy, Mick O'Hara, Conor Gath, Barry Whelehan, Aidan Hanrahan, Niall Claffey, Barry Teehan, Damien Murray etc. If all these lads had been coached, man managed and trained properly and had the right attidude they would still be involved, but that didnt happen.

The only hope i give this team on Sunday is this, that on any given day anything is possible. Henry Shefflin, Edddie Brennan, Richie Power, Martain Comeford etc have played in hurling matches in which they have been very poor and havent scored from play. This can happen again but i doubt it. Expect Kilkenny to score point after point maybe lead 14 points to 6 at half time and in the second half score as much as they want. This will be heart breaking for some of the Offaly hurlers that i admire, but there is very little they can do.

The whole structure of GAA in the county needs to be addressed asap or else things are going to get alot worse.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

mad biffo
Junior B

Post by mad biffo »

I think your right there offalys future. There is a massive divide between u21 and senior. We need some players on the team with experience. Have to say maybe we haven't a hope in hell but at the same time there is hope and hopefully offaly will win because if they do it would be some boost to the whole county. Remember the game last year I had a sore throat at half time and people were cheering mad for the hurlers going in at half time. And also some little kid got great cheers running around the pitch with a offaly flag. It was great to watch until the second half!Kilkenny always looked like they had a extra man. Offaly will seriously have to up their game after the laois show if they are to progress. And as people say there is never a lost cause!
Come on the FAITHFUL!!!!

green&white
Senior

Post by green&white »

Jeez OF you are back to your best!!! If I was an Offaly hurler (and I'm not unfortunately) and I read that post I'd have to say only one thing.. well fuck you!!
If they kept your attitude, What would be the point in these buys turning up?
All of those hurlers you mentioned couldnt cut it at county level, with the exception of Barry Whelehan. Oakley, Breeder, Franks, Murphy, R Hannify and Carroll are the elder statesmen on the team, and have proved over the last few years that they still deserve to be their in the midlle of this youth policy of Joe Dooleys. As far as I can see they tured up to Portlasoise the last day and had the game killed by half time, what more do you want? Or do ye want something we're not (and never have been) and score 10-48 like KK can.. get real! If you talk to any of ther players (and I have) they will tell you they have trained harder and more appropriately than any other time over that duck of a McIntyre's time in charge! I have faith in these boys and I know they are putting in a massive effort. Lets get behind them, and give them confidence. After all OF your motto is : In the presence of Confidence doubt cannot exist!

BTW we had 3weeks build up to this game and its only been mentioned once or twice, in comparison to the numerous threads and posts regarding the football! A bit of parity to be restored please :D

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Kilkenny 1 - 50
Draw 22 - 1
Offaly 14 - 1

THAT SAYS IT ALL

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

I think that OF is only saying what we all feel is going to happen. If he were to come on here and say that we were going to turn up and beat Kilkenny on Sunday I think everyone would say that he has lost his marbles. Now there is nothing wrong with having confidence in the lads, but we have to look at this honestly and say there is very little chance that we can get anywhere near them, never mind beating them(for this year at least). I for one would be happy with more improvement from the Laois game and a bit of hope going forward for the summer. I agree that Dooley is doing the best thing with his youth policy and think that it will pay off in some shape or form over the next few years. This team has the potential to be the strongeat we have had in a while and they do need all the support we can get so lets hope a good crowd turns up on Sunday.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

im sorry to say this, but i would consider getting within 10 points of them to be a success....

I would like to see a repeat of last years first half performance when we harried, hit hard, and were in their face all the time.... if we can get this out of our lads for 70mins instead of 35 ill be happy.... Offaly have pride and i want to see it restored!!

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

WOULD kILKENNY AT 1-50 BE CONSIDERED A GOOD VALUE BET?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Personally I'm not primarily concerned whether Offaly put it up to Kilkenny for 20, 40 or 60 minutes.
I want to see what the reaction of the players is if Kilkenny look like pulling away.
In the past, too many Offaly players have stopped trying once any sort of lead was established.

Last year, Kilkenny didn't hit the net until well into the second half, then they added on 7 or 8 easy points in a row. While it was seen as a positive Offaly display, I wonder what would have happened if Kilkenny had scored a couple of goals in the first 10 minutes?
Should a player only do the right things in a match, if there is a chance of winning?

Limerick were beaten by Kilkenny after 10 minutes of last year's All Ireland, but their players stuck manfully to their task for the duration and despite the defeat, their supporters had something to be proud of.

It is important to see pride in the Offaly jersey. We have to at least re-establish the grit and determination of the 80s generation in Offaly hurling. Men like Fleury, Horan, Delaney who hurled with fury and fire.

In saying that I do like the spirit of some of the new generation of hurlers. There seems to fellas with a good cut about them. Horan, Kenny, Molloy etc. And of course great old warriors like Oakley.
The tradition of never say die needs to be re-established in Offaly hurling. We are fielding a young team and defeats are an unfortunate by-product of this. However it is vital that we play with the right mindset.

Lets hope for the best this Sunday!

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

After the nightmare of last Saturday night its time to turn our attentions to next Sunday and the mammoth of a task facing the lads. I just cannot see any more than 5 or 6000 people being in attendance. kk won't travel in great numbers and I can't see too many travelling from the faithful either. If ever one of our teams need us behind them its next Sunday. I know we are all pig sick after Saturday night and most Offaly people will look upon next Sunday with as much enthusiasm as going to the dentist but anybody who has any breath in their bodies please descend on O' Moore pk next Sunday.

Could not have put it better myself. Will stay go in hope though.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

The Hurlers have a better attitude than the footballers whi think they are gods this was always the case, while the Hurlers back in 98 were getting tea and sandwich the footballers were getting what ever they wanted. If you read they Hoganstand last week there was an article by our Football Captain slating they supporters for not following them up in Belfast or Ennis but with the crap they produced on Saturday whoi would blame the fans. I think if we get with in 10 pts it will be a good performance and hopefully can build on last years.

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

From Hoganstand

Brady doubtful for Cats clash
10 June 2008

Offaly are sweating on the fitness of their captain Kevin Brady ahead of Sunday’s Leinster SHC semi-final against Kilkenny in Portlaoise.

The Coolderry half back picked up a hamstring injury in training over the weekend and is extremely doubtful for the meeting with the All-Ireland champions. Brady was one of Offaly’s best performers during the National League and his loss to the side would be considerable.

Ger Healion is also struggling with a hand injury, but there is better news concerning Joe Bergin and Rory Hanniffy who are expected to return to the starting line-up after their recent injury lay-offs.

Bergin, who sustained a hand injury in an accident at work, only played for the last few minutes of the first round win over Laois and also sat out the recent Leinster under 21 championship win over Carlow, but is ready to resume at full forward. Hanniffy, meanwhile, has recovered from the cartilage problem which forced him to miss the Laois game.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Kilkenny have a few injuries at the moment and Shefflin is reportedly not going to be playing so all is not doom and gloom :P
"Ohhh mamma!"

mad biffo
Junior B

Post by mad biffo »

From the Kilkenny website:

Kilkenny manager Brian Cody will be short a number of key players because of injury for Sunday’s opening Leinster SHC defence against Offaly at O’Moore Park.

Full back Noel Hickey and attacker Richie Power are struggling to make it and, with Henry Shefflin, James Ryall and John Tennyson already ruled out, Cody will have to dig deep into his vast resources to find suitable replacements.

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Managers playing games. 8)