RTE turncoats

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bula bula
All Star

RTE turncoats

Post by bula bula »

Has anyone seen or heard anything about our beloved national broadcaster ditching two live GAA games (Offaly v Westmeath and Dublin v Wexford), in favour of showing two European Chamionship games? Having already moved our game against Westmeath forward half an hour to accomadate them, to hear that its being dumped in favour of a soccer game, where I doubt many Irish people have much interest in is sickening. They are one of the sponsors of the hurling championship this year too and you would think that they would be promoting our games, not putting meaningless other sporting games ahead of our own. Now I will be at the game and it wont affect me much but I am sure there is plenty of faithfuls out there who wont be able to make it to O' Connor Park for some reason or another. Also I do like to see Offaly games being broadcast and for others to see that we are definitely not a division 4 side - no matter what O'Rourke and Brolly say. It would also be an excellent oppotunity to show off how good O'Connor Park is looking right now. Is anyone else out there upset by this or am I just gettin my knickers in a twist over nothing?
"Ohhh mamma!"

beirut
All Star

Re: RTE turncoats

Post by beirut »

I'm there for you buddy, i'm upset too....

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

Heard this alright. Could be 2 very good games also. Apparently if you get rights to the European Championship, you have to show all the games. Our English cousins are also up in arms over this as it will affect Coronation Street!!
Esto Fidelis

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

I'll be at it so it doesn't matter to me but I'd look at the positive side of this in that hopefully it'll bring out a bigger crowd for us.. anyone that was in two minds about attending or watching it on the box now have only one option.

In general it's poor form by RTE - why don't thay just show one match on RTE 1 and the other on RTE 2? Surely the winning streak viewers can stay up an hour later to watch their favourite programme.. :P

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

DD wrote:I'll be at it so it doesn't matter to me but I'd look at the positive side of this in that hopefully it'll bring out a bigger crowd for us.. anyone that was in two minds about attending or watching it on the box now have only one option.
True, unfortunately a lot of Offaly people wouldn't cross the road to go see their team play if they could catch it on tv instead.