U21 v Carlow

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
royalblue
County player

U21 v Carlow

Post by royalblue »

Is they U21 game on against Carlow on Wednesday? Any thoughts on the team?

Aweflee
Senior

Re: U21 v Carlow

Post by Aweflee »

Wed 7.30 in Dr Cullen Park according to leinstergaa.

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

Thanks hope the boss lets me off early traveling down from Dublin

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

royalblue wrote:Thanks hope the boss lets me off early traveling down from Dublin
If he can't let you off for something as important as this, it's all a matter.

Anyway, on the line-up, personally this would be my team on the evening based on what I've seen at club and county level so far this year: James Dempsey, Conor Hernon, Brian Leonard, Brian Watkins, John Cashin, Diarmuid Horan, Del Morkam, Conor Mahon, Colm Coughlan, James Gorman, Colin Egan, Derek Molloy, Dan Currams, Joe Bergin, Odhran Kealey.

That would leave Stephen Wynne, Eanna Murphy, Colin Egan, Francie Kerrigan, Paul Birmingham, Mark Egan and Ciaran Flannery as viable options on the line and possibly a couple more I've forgotten.

However, I'm led to believe that the line-up will be much different, possibly: Kilmartin, Hernon, Flannery, - , Wynne, Leonard, Watkins, Mahon, Horan, Gorman, Molloy, Currams, Francie, Bergin, Coughlan. Eanna Murphy and Ger? Treacy are in contention for no.5 jersey with Stephen Wynne retreating to the corner or possibly Stephen Egan in the corner with the rest of the backline remaining the same. Odhran Kealey may push clubmate Colm Coughlan for a starting spot in the corner but it's also possible Coughlan will be at 12 with Currams in the corner which would rule out Kealey as Currams and Francie look nailed on to start. Colin Egan has missed a bit of training but is not far off the first 15 and may nudge in at 11 with Molloy on the edge of the square if Joe Bergin is deemed unfit to start.

Whatever way they line-up, anything bar a good win will be disappointing and with the draw the way it is, this team should push hard for a Leinster title.

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

this team have the capabilities of winning a Leinster but i would worry if Flannery is full back was destroyed in Fitzgibbon cup

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Be that as it may, if their attitude isn't right they won't beat Carlow on Wednesday!Obviously I hope they do win but Murphy's law being what it is, the one year they would have home draws in the semi final & final, with Kilkenny & Dublin on the opposite side of the draw, is the year they'll make a hames of it.
royalblue wrote:this team have the capabilities of winning a Leinster but i would worry if Flannery is full back was destroyed in Fitzgibbon cup
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the weasel
Intermediate

Post by the weasel »

Was at the match today, Offaly won 3-16 to 1-8. Offaly were poor in the first half and were lucky to be winning 1-9 to 1-7 at half time. Got 2 quick goals early in second half which killed off carlow who seemed to give up after that. Leonard played well at centre back and Horan at midfield with Gorman,Francie and Coughlan the best up front.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Good result and lets hope the lads can build on it, especially with the next game at home. 3 16 is a good score to rack up too, even if we were not at our best. Its little glimmers of hope like this that keep us all going.
"Ohhh mamma!"

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

jaysus lads that was a great result even if the early reports of us not playing well in the first half are true. Would be great to get to a Leinster final on home soil. Was anyone at the game ? who performed well ? I heard Ger Treacey had a good game. Positive to see the selectors are looking outside the usual 3 or 4 clubs for talent.
Come on the Faithful now bring on those peasants from Wastemeath !
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

Great win but didn't look good we will have to improve against Wexford this Wexford team beat Offaly at minor level in Johnny's Dooley's first year in charge

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Thats true Royalblue, but didnt that Carlow team beat us too? I would be more worried about Dublin if both of us get there but I just have the feeling that this team have something about them and are going to give us something to cheer about at last.
"Ohhh mamma!"

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

No its next years team that Carlow beat , Offaly beat Dublin 4-14 to 2-12 in Birr but lost to Dublin in Quarter Final by four pts Joe Bergin was suspended also had a few injuries,The U21 team looks stronger than that Minor team. By the way Bergin was suspended for the Wexford game to. I reckon KK could give Dublin a bit of a beating.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

I stand corrected. Definitely think these players have improved since minor alright but time will tell by how much. When is the semi - final lads?
"Ohhh mamma!"

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

Bula Bula the semi final is fixed for Birr on the 18th of June.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly U21 3-16 Carlow U21 1-8

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A good evening’s work for the Offaly under 21 hurlers in Carlow yesterday evening. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any Offaly team so dominant under the dropping ball, ever. Whether that’s a trait of those born in 1987 or Carlow were poor in this area remains to be seen. Actually Carlow reminded me of a typical Offaly side, nifty hurlers but hopeless in the air and depending on winning breaking ball to gain possession.

Derek Morkan in particular excelled. Not alone did he catch everything that came his way, he delivered quality ball to his forwards, using the diagonal crossfield ball. If he continues like this Morkan could well put Kevin Brady under pressure next year.

While Ger Treacy was targeted by Carlow in the second half he too hurled well with some good deliveries, though Brian Leonard was blocked down a bit too frequently. Diarmuid Horan hurled well when moved to midfield, covering back well. Mahon was in and out of it, though he worked hard throughout.

James Gorman came into it from about the 20th minute, catching everything and scoring three good points. He seemed to do better once Francis Kerrigan moved to his wing. Kerrigan was out of it on the right corner but hurled well when moved to the left and later on at full forward. Molloy battled hard throughout and Egan came into it as it went on

The two second half goals coming as they did within a minute of each other drained all belief out of Carlow. While the Carlow defence didn’t cover themselves in glory, Coughlan showed good opportunism to nip in for both his goals, as did Currams for the third goal. I would have liked to have seen a bit more teamwork among the forwards though. They performed as six individuals for much of the first half.

Wexford will no doubt have had a good look at Offaly last night. They will probably be bigger and stronger than Carlow were. While that match is fixed for Birr, Offaly will do well not to get carried away with the home venue, letting their workrate drop on the basis “we’re at home – we should win!”

That said, having a match will stand to Offaly. The forwards will probably line out more akin to the way they lined out in the second half rather than the way they started. Joseph Bergin will be a welcome addition to the side by them also.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.