Hurling line up Sunday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
royalblue
County player

Hurling line up Sunday

Post by royalblue »

1 Mullins-best keeper around
2 Hernon -Great Debut Year
3 Paul Cleary- only option gone back a little but still great competitor
4 David Franks -old reliable
5 Kevin Brady-Best Hurler in Offaly at moment
6 Ger Oakley wont let us down
7 David Kenny - plaing very well
8 Conor Mahon -great work horse
9 Brendan Murphy- never let us down
10 Diarmuid Horan -he is a better forward
11 Derek Molly- big game needed from him
12 Sean Ryan -deserves a chance after last year
13 Brian Carroll- what can i say
14 Peter Healion -looks like he will be here but over all not good enough
15 Dylan Hayden -playing well again

kinnittyman
All Star

Re: Hurling line up Sunday

Post by kinnittyman »

From what seems to be available for sundays match I'll pick my team. This is not a selection i think Joe Dooley will put out but a selection that I would like to see taking the field. You might also see some club bias!!

1 James Dempsey (With the absence of Breeder Dempsey who is confident assured and a tremendous shot stopper would get my vote)
2 Conor Hernon (Excellent corner back, needs to get a little tighter)
3 Paul Cleary
4 David Franks
5 Kevin Brady (Will hit a pile of ball but remarkably loose. By no means the best hurler in the county)
6 David Kenny (Now this man is the best hurler in the county. And "man" is the best way to describe him. A leader already at such a young age)
7 Diarmuid Horan
8 James Rigney ( I cannot understand how people are picking Conor Mahon to start ahead of him)
9 Sean Ryan ( If he can get his confidence back a real asset. Seems to be lacking seriously in confiedence though.
10 Derek Molloy ( Needs to curb the temper and win us possession in the half forward line)
11 Ger Oakley
12 Brendan Murphy
13 Brian Carroll
14 Dylan Hayden (Excellent in the air, very quick and can take a score. Take a chance on him in there.
15 Alan Egan (Obviouslty size is a problem but with good service the hard ground in the summer could really suit him.

Aweflee
Senior

Post by Aweflee »

Named team for Sunday:

Mullins
Franks
Oakley
Verney
Horan
Kenny
Brady
Rigney
Mahon
Hayden
Healion
Molloy
Carroll
Cleary
Murphy

Discuss.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

God bless those Express Sports texts :) They are the business in fairness.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

The main positions I'm interested in are Full back, Centre Forward and Full forward. Healion looked big, slow and cumbersome in the league. Has he slimmed down, or got a bit quicker? He'll probably be tasked with winning puck outs, and disrupting a centre back, but I couldn't imagine him living with someone like Ken McGrath to be honest. Paul Cleary is an interesting one as well. Has he ever played full forward for Offaly? I can't remember it if he did. Again, he'd be a decent target man, but Carroll and Murphy will have to do a lot of break winning if we are going to use him as such. You know what you are getting with Oakley, but I'm not sure about full back. Any mistake in there is a goal, and I'm not sure if he has the clean strike, or the reading of the game for in there.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Aweflee
Senior

Post by Aweflee »

To be fair to Oakley he was in full back a few years ago and never let us down. As far as I can remember Cleary played full forward for the minors a few years ago so it won't be completely new to him - if he lines out there.

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

Cleary played fullforward against laois and Kilkenny for Offaly Minors in 2004 he give Laois a hard time that day even though carrying a hamstring injury he scored two goals and a few points he big strong and accurate and will through the ball around

he is also a decent fullback and probably is they only one to fill it Sunday Healion is not good enough never was i only picked him because we are short on players.

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

Will Cleary take the frees. He has more vision than a Joe Brady.
Esto Fidelis

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

Loughers wrote:Will Cleary take the frees. He has more vision than a Joe Brady.
I would have him on frees also Joe Brady is a way better option than Healion

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Aweflee wrote:Named team for Sunday:

Mullins - 1
Franks - 2
Oakley - 6
Verney - 4
Horan - 5
Kenny - 3
Brady - 7
Rigney - 8
Mahon - 9
Hayden - 15
Healion - 14
Molloy - 10
Carroll - 13
Cleary - 11
Murphy - 12

Discuss.
Bit of a dummy team from what I hear, I've stuck in the numbers as I've heard they'll line up.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

I have to say I would be disappointed if Kenny was left back in full back. In fairness Oakley has always hurled ok there and it would not be a gamble to leave him there and let Kenny dominate from centre back. Surprised with Hernons exclusion but ohter than that it is as good as we have available. Delighted to see James Rigney hurling and to the best of my knowledge he will be the first Kinnitty hurler to play Leinster Championship in 15 years since Paddy Corrigan against Kilkenny. Also very happy to see Breeder back in goals.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I sincerely hope they don't take Kenny out of centre back. Kenny is a catcher, Oakley is a stopper and a blocker. Oakley plays well at full back but is not a classy enough striker of a ball or a good enough fielder to play 6. David Kenny has the makings of being Offaly's centre back for years to come and there is no reason to tamper with that. I too have reason to believe that these will be swapped around but I sincerely hope it's not the case.

I'm not sure I love the idea of Murphy as a puckout option either - I would prefer to see him dropping deeper still, though I suspect that might happen anyway.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

INOFFALYIBELIEVE
Junior B

Post by INOFFALYIBELIEVE »

I'd say only breeder on this team is the only one ya could guarantee will finish the game in the position that he starts in, would expect a lot of swithces before and during the game depending on how things are going, as for healion from what ive seen of him in the league he definitely deserves his chance, ran lohan ragged in the 1st half against clare in tullamore and fired in a few goals in other matches...
id take issue with describing joe brady as 'a way better option' than him- granted healion isnt blessed with pace but brady isnt exactly Asafa Powell or Maurice Green in disguise either...as for hurling ability healion deserves his chance to stake his claim for the no.14 spot

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

David Kenny is playing great stuff and would be very unfair to play him fullback as Lone Sharks says he will be Offalys Centre back for years. I was impressed with James Rigney and deserves his chance in championship would love to see Hernon fellow Rynaghs man wing back and Horan wing forward and switch Molloy to centre position along with Cleary Healion is one trick pony might work Sunday but get a sniff against KK or any other team.

Also would like to see Sean Ryan and Sahne Dooley getting a run they deserve it

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

royalblue wrote: would love to see Hernon fellow Rynaghs man wing back and Horan wing forward and switch Molloy to centre position along with Cleary
I'd agree with a lot of those switches. I think the forwards will need Horan's ability to take a score and while I like Hernon as a hurler, he's too loose to trust him in a corner back role in my mind. Having said that being named as wing forward could be a bit of a poisoned chalice in this team as you could be only keeping a jersey warm for Bergin or Hanniffy.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.