Leinster Council's hurling development administrator

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
uibhfhaili
County player

Leinster Council's hurling development administrator

Post by uibhfhaili »

Just read an excellent piece about George O Connor and the work he's doing in Wexford. Who is the Leinster Council's hurling development administrator for Offaly?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Leinster Council's hurling development administrator

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I remember about 8 or 9 years ago, when Offaly's failings at underage first started being highlighted in the national media.
There was mention in an Enda McEvoy article about how the Leinster council were making hurling coaching resources available and how Offaly turned down the offer because they felt they didn't need it. I think it was Nickey Brennan who revealed this.
Again I don't remember the exact details, but I remember that was the general jist of it.

Sure we're a "great little county" and a batch of great hurlers will drop out of the trees any day now. :mrgreen:

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Oh Jes8s Chr1st. Please tell me this is a joke.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Well obviously there might be some artistic licence there.
McEvoy interpreting Offaly's inaction on availing of the coaching as a sign of complacency, when it was probably a lack of awareness.

I must dig up the exact articles from back then. As a sort of history lesson. :oops:
It started around 1999 when the Sunday papers and Breaking Ball did features on just how appalling Offaly had become at underage.
I remember Breaking Ball had shots of little kids pulling off fresh air shots with their hurleys.
They interviewed an exasperated Pad Joe Whelahan who was describing how in other counties like Tipperary there were coaches going in to the schools and coaching players. There was nothing of the sort happening in Offaly.

In a Tribune article in early 2000 Pat Teehan (I think) did recognise that there was a rot going on but felt that Offaly had a good crop of minors capable of winning Leinster that year or the next. Which turned out to be correct.
Unfortunately that brief success probably caused any mounting concern to dissipate.
Whereas in Kilkenny there was holy war, crisis summits and ultimately a re-doubling of efforts.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sure we're a "great little county" and a batch of great hurlers will drop out of the trees any day now. :mrgreen:
Will ya point out that tree and we'll give it a good auld shake.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

so can i take it that there is no Offaly equivalent of George O Connor at work.
Truely dispiriting state of affairs if true. Im seriously beginning to wondor if its really worth it following Offaly any longer. If the people of Offaly have allowed that hurling culture that saw us dine at the top table for 2 decades to evaporate through arrogance and sloth then shame on us all.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

John Leahy from Kilcormac is now the Games Promotion and Development Officer in Offaly and seems to be rated as a good coach.
I'm not sure if he gets the same resources as George O'Connor though, as really it would be a full time occupation in order to carry it off.
Maybe someone could fill us in?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Muck Savage wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote: Sure we're a "great little county" and a batch of great hurlers will drop out of the trees any day now. :mrgreen:
Will ya point out that tree and we'll give it a good auld shake.
I'll let you shake it first!

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

this is a quotefrom the Wexford gaa forum
"Lads did any of you hear Ger Doyle on SE Radio this evening talking about the new coaching arrangements, in addition to the coaches in place, George O etc there will be 7 full time and 5 part coaches appointed all paid for by private individuals"

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Bord na Mona man - That looks like the Kilkenny tree that was shook around '99 and work up that Cat! Can someone try put it back in the tree?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Muck Savage wrote:Bord na Mona man - That looks like the Kilkenny tree that was shook around '99 and work up that Cat! Can someone try put it back in the tree?

Or even better...

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Super stuff.

Did any one see the mystery 'cat' beast the gards are after up in Donegal.

Apparently it's some sort of cougar or panther!

this is class

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 16126.html