Offaly V Laois

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
arbarg
County player

Offaly V Laois

Post by arbarg »

Can someone explain how Laois beat us yesterday, I still cant get my head around it!!

Offalys Future
All Star

Re: Offaly V Laois

Post by Offalys Future »

Shouldnt have lost but did. Only March no need to panic just yet. Should be well capable of beating both Limerick and Clare at home and in the process maybe nick a quarter final spot.

The negatives are that questions are being asked of Joe Dooley already, questions that i asked when he was appointed. Ultimately he will be judged on championship results.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Jaysus OF, very restrained of you. I thought you'd be foaming at the mouth this morning. If John McIntyre had delivered that result, you'd be calling for a fatwah.

I agree with your sentiments, although I can't see us beating either Limerick or Clare at home.

If we get relegated, what is the setup next year? Is it 4 straight divisions, with Division 1 being the top 4 of each A+B, and Division 2 being the bottom 2 of A+B plus the top 2 of 2A+B?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Can't see them beating Limerick. I'd have more hope for the Clare game with a few of the Birr lads back.

How many of the Birr lads will get a place on the team?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Leix bet us 4 years ago, in Birr, Offaly having the Birr players, in a game that was do or die to stay in Division 1.

As I said on the other topic, they are a team that can cause upsets in the league but wilt in the Leinster championship. I am still certain we will see them off in the summer.

It is still a bad result for Offaly though. Granted we would have to beat Clare anyway, regardless of yesterday's result, but winning should be come a habit for a team in transition.

We don't have enough free scoring forwards by the looks of things.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

azoffaly wrote:Jaysus OF, very restrained of you. I thought you'd be foaming at the mouth this morning. If John McIntyre had delivered that result, you'd be calling for a fatwah.
McIntyre got 3 years and was judged on championship results as will Joe Dooley.

Best time now to be playing Limerick.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offalys Future wrote:Best time now to be playing Limerick.
Unfortunately a win against them would probably be meaningless, as we still have beat Clare.
Knowing our luck, we'll put on a great display and beat Limerick, but lose to Clare meaning relegation.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Anyone here that big fat browl Daithi Regan cut the sh1t out of Joe Dooley on Newstalk last nite?

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

I didnt hear the piece. What was the jist of his analysis?
Efan :)

Oskar
Intermediate

Post by Oskar »

uibhfhaili wrote:Anyone here that big fat browl Daithi Regan cut the sh1t out of Joe Dooley on Newstalk last nite?
Yeah I heard it. His main argument is that Joe shouldn't have taken the job because he had no managerial experience. He was very hard on him. He was saying that someone with more experience should've been offered the job, perhaps Aidan Fogarty.

green&white
Senior

Post by green&white »

Well firstly I think the management have to take some responsibility in both the way they lined out the team from the start and their reluctance to make meaningful switches. And then secondly the playeres looked like they thought they were gonna just turn up and take the spoils without a contest.. which is sure thing you'll get with Laois in P'Laoise.
After Currams injury, we had 4 'backs' in the forwards! Franks, Teehan, Oakley and Rigney. With Molloy, who is there to harass and make life difficult for the oppositin, we then had only one out-and-out forward in Carroll on the team.(In the end another back in G Healion entered the front 6, although I wont argue with that as he hurled very well against Gway and was supposed to be flyin in trainin! Should have been started, and definately introduced earlier)
Joe Bergin once again was anonymous at no6 and had to be switched.. only then, when the pressure of been in a central role was gone, did he get into the game!He doesn't want to impose his physique on others at all, unless he has the ball in hand! Which is very rare at county level for most players!Brady looks completely at seas at no3, why are they persistin with this? Is it just beacuse he is keeping it warm for Claffeys return? (BTW I still think Oakley is our best no 3)
Our midfield was completely overrun until Teehan (althogh he didnt hit much, he stopped their runners) actually did what a midfielder is supposed to do.. play there! not run around like a headless chicken like Mahon, and Dooley runnin away from challenges! How Mahon stayed on the field for so long I dont know.. and as for Dooley will he ever be takin off? Now I know he got two points near the end, but he shouldnt have been there, and actually if he wasnt so greedy he could've ofloaded to Carroll at the very end who was completlty unmarked 5yards out!!
We certainly are a very ordinary outfit without the Birr contingent and Murphy, but I still think the lads could be performing better if the right team was picked right, and lads were put in their best positions!Starting with a forward line like yesterday would get it hard to win a club c'ship match against any of the top4teams in Offaly let alone compete at intercounty level(even if it is only Laois!)