Wembley, NFL - Comparisons with O'Connor Park and Croke Park

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bogman
All Star

Wembley, NFL - Comparisons with O'Connor Park and Croke Park

Post by Bogman »

I was at the Miami Dolphins vs New York Giants game in Wembley. I know that this site was otherwise represented so I'm wondering what others thought of the experience:

1. How does the Royal Corps of Engineers Marching Band measure up to the Mountbolus Pipe Band?

2. Wembley, Croke Park or O'Connor Park - the best Stadium?

3. Is the NFL better on TV or as an authentic live experience complete with torrential rain.

4. American Football - can it hold a candle to Gaelic Football or Hurling??

5. How can they spend € 1 billion on a Stadium and still completely fail on the necessary trimmings of a 3 Hour Game - Catering, Bars and Merchandise!! Kudos to the GAA.

6. Decline (rebirth and renewal?) of once proud teams - the Miami Dolphins and Offaly! Discuss!

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Bogman, I'm sorry but the NFL is a load of Muck. A bunch of over paid, over weight criminals that have a couple of lads that actually play for more than 10 mins over a three hour period. If all the offence are playing right it's almost impossible to screw up, run 10 yards cut right and the ball will be there..... So in my mind shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath at GAA.
If your into the game, the college game is 100 times better, at least you see a bit of passion.

As for Croker, it the best stadium I've been in and I've been in a fair few across the US and Europe.

How they spent 1B on Wembly and the way it is, probably an Irish contractor I hope :)

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

First of all the questions.

1. Mountbolus Pipe Band All the way.

2. Pains me to say it but I would probably go with Wembley, there is fuck all between it but I think it is just finished off better.

3. I would say it is better on TV judging by this experience but to be fair we didn't experience an authentic home game amptmosphere. It was a great occasion but the passion from most of the fans was missing compared to a regular home game.

4. Nothing can hold a candle to hurling. Ice hockey comes as close as I have seen but its still a fair bit off. Gaelic football is still way better than American Football.

5. Where were you sitting!!!? Where I was you couldn't walk 5 feet without bumping into a food or drink seller?? Merchandise was a bit minimal but I had spent enough anyway so I was ok with that!

6. We can't buy free agents. Need to sort ourselves out.

Now MS.

Have you actually watched a couple of games or is this just a broad sweeping statement based on an opinion??
Last edited by TheManFromFerbane on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The main problem I have is the amount of stoppages. It makes the game too tactical and less spontaneous.
When you defer to coaches every couple of minutes players lose the ability to invent for themselves.
Rugby Union seems to be heading that way now. Coaches are now overpowering individual creativity.
NFL should be non-stop, no time outs or breaks for players to scratch themselves. Scrimmages reformed at bullet speed. That would see the game open up and give the real thinkers on the field more chance to excel. The nearest thing we have to a time out in the GAA is a player pretending to have cramp.
With television commercials being so important, I can't see this happening.

The stoppages also let the crowd constantly tune out also. Imagine a vendor walking in front of you, pouring beers and selling hot dogs during a county final in O'Connor Park!

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Bord na Mona man wrote:.

Imagine a vendor walking in front of you, pouring beers and selling hot dogs during a county final in O'Connor Park!
As opposed to the dozens of young wans and young fellas texting and chatting whilst going up and down the steps during the hurling county final, not giving a shit who's view they were blocking.. :(

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

DD wrote: As opposed to the dozens of young wans and young fellas texting and chatting whilst going up and down the steps during the hurling county final, not giving a shit who's view they were blocking.. :(
A good roar usually does the trick!
:twisted:

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

The only live games I've been to were a couple at Croke Park, but I find it very hard to watch on TV for the reasons BnaM man explained.
Though I admit to getting into one particular game last season, I think Indiana in a game on their path to the Superbowel. It was a very close finish.

But by and large it seems to me to be more about providing a vehicle to sell the ancilliaries than it is about the sport itself.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Hi lads,

i was over in london at the weekend and i enjoyed the day out very much. The Wembley is an excellent stadium.
As a match itself unfortunately there was two poor sides on view.

as regards stop start nature, the play would go like this:

1st and ten - lad runs it get 3-4 yards.
2nd and 6 - lad runs it again - gets 3 years
3rd and 3 - qb says i'd better throw it now and throws it to the lad he was told to throw it to, while there's usually another lad unmarked.
4th and 3 - the special teams come wheezing out, and punt the ball and the other lads get it back 10 yards or so.

Now on TV here you cut to an ad break. At the match, i was surprised that the offenses and defense teams are out straight away and ready to go, but stand about 2-3 minutes like flutes before they are off at it again. they play some video or something booming out at this stage to distract you from this.

I always liked the sport, and you can't really compare it to other ones.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

I would have to admit, I would support the Dolphins .. :oops: 10 game losing streak .. :roll: can we wheel Dan The Man back out of retirement?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Muck Savage wrote:Bogman, I'm sorry but the NFL is a load of Muck. A bunch of over paid, over weight criminals that have a couple of lads that actually play for more than 10 mins over a three hour period. If all the offence are playing right it's almost impossible to screw up, run 10 yards cut right and the ball will be there..... So in my mind shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath at GAA.
If your into the game, the college game is 100 times better, at least you see a bit of passion.

As for Croker, it the best stadium I've been in and I've been in a fair few across the US and Europe.

How they spent 1B on Wembly and the way it is, probably an Irish contractor I hope :)
Class observations all around gang.

Grabbed Muck Savage's because he raises one point with which I completely concur...that is regarding the college game... I only have a passing interest in football on Sunday's, but soak up all I can on Saturday.

I'd venture to say that any GAA person would enjoy the college football experience. Some similar themes running through the games...buildup/annual anticipated rivalries/fanatical support and a great social scene. Even if American Football is not completely to your liking I believe that there is something for everyone on a college football Saturday.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

For anyone that wants to have a look at the game I'd advise checking out Sky Sports on a Monday and Tuesday night. It does a Match of the Day style highlights and its very easy to get into and speeds the whole thing along nicely.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

MFF - Comments are based on live experience rather than a passing interest. I'm guessing that I've been to a lot more games than most on here and once the novelty bit of being at a NFL game goes away the game itself is pretty poor. At the majortiy of NFL games there is no real craic in the crowd as you have basically no away supporters. Take out Green Bay and the Raiders you don't have more than a handful of away support. So that leaves no banter or craic. For the game itself, you can't tell me that its action packed with all the stoppages. There have been a few great games but overall the majority of the games are a waste of time.
Now the college game is different, not as much stoppages, more passion, more away support so more banter. The college game is way more like the GAA where bonds are closer and it's as close ass any US support will be likened to GAA (from a support point of view).

Having said all of that, if you want to see real hostile passion in a US sport game sit in the Black hole in Oakland during a Raider game. Just make sure you wear Black.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Fair enough MS. If you've given it a chance and still don't like it then I don't really have an issue with your opinions. What I have an issue with is the "thats a shit game, sure they wear pads the pussies" which is absolute bollix. The hits in it are ferocious and the physique of the "play makers" is unbelievable. The majority of the rugby players can't compete with them.

I do take your point that it can be a bit slow. (Although it is interesting to watch the "ball in play" clock at the GAA games) but what I do like about the stop start nature is all the back stories you get to hear and see when they are on a break. I've only been to a couple of pre-season games so I can't comment on the atmosphere at the regular season games.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Wouldn't know the first thing about the NFL so I'd be afraid to comment on it!!

But getting back to the Wembley thing. I think it was definatly worth the wait. I was there for the first day it opened last Paddy's Day and could not get over the shear size and volume of the stadium. Every seat has a great viewing spot, in that its facing directly onto the playing area, as Croke Park has perpendicular seating to the pitch. But its difficult to compare. Either stadium respond to their brief (showing off my architectural knowledge here). As for Tullamore's O'Connor Park, it quite simply does the job. Pity they couldn't splash out a bit more dosh to have a cantilevering roof rather than columns, which to my luck, always get in the way!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Fair enough MS. If you've given it a chance and still don't like it then I don't really have an issue with your opinions. What I have an issue with is the "thats a shit game, sure they wear pads the pussies" which is absolute bollix. The hits in it are ferocious and the physique of the "play makers" is unbelievable. The majority of the rugby players can't compete with them.

I do take your point that it can be a bit slow. (Although it is interesting to watch the "ball in play" clock at the GAA games) but what I do like about the stop start nature is all the back stories you get to hear and see when they are on a break. I've only been to a couple of pre-season games so I can't comment on the atmosphere at the regular season games.
Agreed, the wearing pads and being a bunch of wimps (or whatever) have nothing to do with each other. These guys are incredibly tough. The fitness and strength - not to mention the size of many of the players is almost hard to comprehend. BTW - a number of linemen may appear fat and out of shape, but don't be fooled into thinking that they are.