Railway Cup 2007

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

Railway Cup 2007

Post by Offalys Future »

James McGarry
Brendan O’Leary
Brian Hogan
David Franks
Tommy Walsh
Kevin Brady
James Ryall
Derek Lyng
Michael Rice
Richie Power
James Young
Willie O’Dwyer
Barry Lambert
Eddie Brennan
Aidan Fogarty

Subs
Richie Kehoe Wexford
Darren McCormack Westmeath
Richie Mullally Kilkenny
Brian Carroll Offaly
John Dalton Kilkenny

Selectors
John Conran (Wexford) Richie Power (Kilkenny) Brian Whelehan (Offaly)
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

No Dubs????????

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Any one going no? Im gona head down id say.

Loughers
All Star

Railway Cup

Post by Loughers »

Think I'll go to the finals in Croke Park on October 27th. Chance to see a hurling match under lights.
Esto Fidelis

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

This competition is finished

7 of the Leinster 20 weren't on their county team starting 15 this year.

The best players have lost interest in this especially since it's only in Ireland this year, and unless Gaa really push it the next two weeks there wont be 10,000 people in croke park for the finals.

Dublin club championship is on but surely they could be represented as should Kildare, Wicklow, Carlow etc.
Maybe they have been asked but am sure some guys from these counties would take you're hand off i you offered them the chance to be part of the panel. Instead of having Kilkenny subs on it.

Connacht i expect to win the hurling.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Offalys Future wrote:This competition is finished

7 of the Leinster 20 weren't on their county team starting 15 this year.

The best players have lost interest in this especially since it's only in Ireland this year, and unless Gaa really push it the next two weeks there wont be 10,000 people in croke park for the finals.

Dublin club championship is on but surely they could be represented as should Kildare, Wicklow, Carlow etc.
Maybe they have been asked but am sure some guys from these counties would take you're hand off i you offered them the chance to be part of the panel. Instead of having Kilkenny subs on it.

Hold the front page-Offalys future in negative post shock horror!!!!

Connacht i expect to win the hurling.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

give your opinion so kinnitty man?
it's not as if you will be busy writing about Kinnitty's involvement in the county final!!!

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Offalys Future wrote:give your opinion so kinnitty man?
it's not as if you will be busy writing about Kinnitty's involvement in the county final!!!
Il tell you what-i wont slag the competition off and il see you there tomorrow to give you my opinion on how it can be advanced.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

i didnt slag it off.
The railway cup is meant to be a competition between the best hurlers in all the provinces. To be picked for the Railway cup is meant to be a honour bestowed on the best hurlers from each county in the province. What i said was that, this is not the case for tomorrows games.

The best players have enough with club matches etc and couldnt be bothered going down to Fermoy to play. They would though if the final was in Rome or Paris.
So what you have going down now is 7 guys that can't make their county teams.
Instead of allowing the best hurlers from Kildare, Westmeath, Carlow, etc to be part of this competition they send them away to Scotland to play a ground hurling tournament.

And i also said that there wont be 10,000 people at the finals. Fixed for a bank holiday sat nite!
And this weekend between the two venues there wont be 5000 people.

so there!

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

The club championships outrank the Railway cup, and rightly so!! Club teams are the grass roots of the GAA. The Railway Cup is an exhibition tournament and no more. Its hard to take something serious when the lads have only been training together for the last number of weeks.

I hear the tickets are going cheap for this and the fact that its in the evening time, I think it'll pull a big crowd, along with the football. If not this year, then next year. A turn out of 40000+ should be expected.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Ya tickets only €5 and €10
If Gaa do a good bit of marketing the next two weeks might boost it alright.

Would be great if they could get the best players to play and fit it around the club championship.
I'm sure it could be big again but by not having the best hurlers/footballers from each copunty is a big turn off.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I wouldn't be that pushed on shouting for Leinster, especially with so many Kilkenny players on it. Granted, I'd prefer them to win than Munster, but I wouldn't get upset about them losing either.

It just has a feeling of tokenism about it. Start with a Kilkenny line up and throw in a couple from other counties to help them out.

I never really get the attraction of Irish rugby players representing the Lions either, so maybe I'm just parochial.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

I love this competition. Didn't Leinster win last year with some good Offaly displays? They had Franks in the forwards although he was substituted.

I'll be away the weekend of the final in London. I'd be sorry to miss it if Leinster are in the final.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Bogman wrote:I love this competition. Didn't Leinster win last year with some good Offaly displays? They had Franks in the forwards although he was substituted.

I'll be away the weekend of the final in London. I'd be sorry to miss it if Leinster are in the final.

Well you wont have ot worry about Leinster being in either final. 2 pretty anaemic performances by the boys in green yesterday. We had Niall McNamee representing us in the football and he played ok with Dessie Dolan completley outshining him in the other corner. Kevin Brady started centre back and played alright scoring a good point but giving away 3 scored frees. He wasnt helped by the mare Tommy Walsh was having beside him. Carroll came on corner forward and made zero impression. There was about 1000 people there and the kids thoughts all their christmases had come at once with the amount of GAA stars were there and the autgraphs they got. Had a good chat with the Waterford Football trainer(Dont ask how) and he's bulling over what their county board did regarding the seedings for the football.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Had a good chat with the Waterford Football trainer(Dont ask how) and he's bulling over what their county board did regarding the seedings for the football.
Why is he bulling?