Offaly back in Div 1?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Loughers
All Star

Offaly back in Div 1?

Post by Loughers »

I heard a rumour at the weekend that we are back in Div 1 with a group compromising Tipp, Clare, Limerick, Galway and Laois. Anyone else hear this?
Esto Fidelis

midfield
County player

Post by midfield »

Thats old news now - that we are back in division one. I think the format for the divisions were changed. Personally ,I think that its better for hurling to have as many of the top teams in the same division - i.e. the top 12 including antrim, laois , westmeath , offaly and dublin - this way the antrims, westmeath and laois can try to get themselves up to the standard.

There isnt much point for westmeath being the top team in division 2 as it wont stand to them come championship.

I wasnt aware of who was in what group ,i dont know if the groupings have been made or when the decision is due.

Tipp, Clare, Limerick, Galway and Laois with Offaly in it wouldnt be too bad. We would avoid the Cats at least

P.S. How many home league matches are we due this year as last year I think we didnt get many - think Down at home , Clare , cant remember

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Would avoiding, Kilkenny, Waterford and Cork be a little better than "not bad" ?
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

the bare biffo wrote:Would avoiding, Kilkenny, Waterford and Cork be a little better than "not bad" ?
Dead right.
We got "relegated" last year having got the same amount of points as Dublin, who didn't need any play offs.
Hopefully we can keep our necks above water for another few years.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Any idea when the final decision is made? I hear its the end of the month or something??

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly back in Div 1?

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just heard on Radio3. The league groupings as posted here by Loughers have been ratified at a Central Council meeting today (Saturday). Ya boy ya Loughers!

That’s good news. Not just to be back in division 1 but the draw, I feel, is favourable. Each match on it’s own is winnable. Each could be lost too but at least it’s competitive. No long away trips to Wexford, Waterford, Cork or Belfast either. The away trips to Thurles, Ennis or Limerick would be okay with a possible trip to the seaside at Salthill thrown in. It appears to be based on a west / east divide with Cork, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Dublin and Antrim on the other side.

A new championship structure has also been voted through. It looks convoluted though I haven’t had a chance to digest it yet. That’s for another day.
Loughers wrote:I heard a rumour at the weekend that we are back in Div 1 with a group compromising Tipp, Clare, Limerick, Galway and Laois. Anyone else hear this?

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

would it not be a useful thing to test ourselves against cork, kilkenny or waterford during the league in the group stages?