It's the Jacks...

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fido
Intermediate

It's the Jacks...

Post by Fido »

So it's the Dubs. After being charmed by some of their number coming out of Croker last year I was hoping they'd go down...("Jayzz yiz were Offaly bad today lads! Ha ha ha ha." "Good one Anto! Ha ha ha ha.") My main reason to be honest for not wanting the Dubs to come through was that I thought we'd have a better chance against Meath. I'm afraid we're susceptible to the hype that surrounds Dublin. Am I wrong? Or can we spring the shock we'd all dearly love to see?

edenderry
Junior B

dubs

Post by edenderry »

a hammering is on the cards

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

Feck it folks, there’s no reason to be afraid of the Jackeens, Meath are a poor side and they made Dublin look good, so if the footballers can show the same heart, determination and pride that the hurlers displayed last Sunday, then I am quietly confident that we can derail the GAA-hyped express train that is Dublin. One main concern though, is that fitness disparities may well determine the result. In my opinion, I believe that Offaly have better ball-players, but the Dubs have superior battling qualities. If we stay with them till the last 15-20 minutes, then I reckon that they are there for the taking. Allez.

The Rover
Junior A

Post by The Rover »

The Jacks are back and the Rossies are beaten by Lietrim!
Next weekend will be hard. Lets hope for the best but its a big hope.

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Ther're definitely beatable, whether we'll do it is another matter though. Meath did not play very well yet were still in it with a couple of minutes to go. It was a really open match and I'd expect the same next Sunday.
A few major questions remain - Can we break even at midfield or at the least not get completely overun? Can we avoid giving away frees inside 50m especially with the likes of Brogan running at our defence? Do our half forward line have the discipline to track the marauding Dublin half backs? And are we fit enough to stay with them for the whole match?
Our lack of depth on the sideline is another weakness though as the Dubs can bring on the likes of Magee, Sherlock etc if and when required. Who could we turn to on the bench to get us back in a match?

On the positive side Meath did prove again that Dublin can be opened up - they created two clear goal chances again yesterday (while Dublin's 2 goal chances came directly from Meath mistakes) so I think we are capable of creating at least one clearcut goal chance in the 70 minutes. If we get enough ball in to the inside 3, we've the potential to put up a score of around 2-10/1-13.
Most importantly we need to start well and not let the Dubs build up a head of steam. If it's still all to play for with 15 minutes to go our freshness might stand to us as Dublin are bound to be tired and sore after yesterdays game.
We also have the benefit of having a good look at them - the advantage of being in the next round and being able to analyse your opponents and put a gameplan in place should not be underestimated. Roe has seen 140 minutes of Dublin at full tilt, he should have identified their strengths and weaknesses and how to deal with them. The Dubs efforts have been totally focussed on Meath and we won't have been on their radar so we do have somewhat of an unknown element to us.
Roll on Sunday..

DD
All Star

Post by DD »

Anyone know who's reffing it next Sunday? A strong ref is vital, even McEneaney gave the Dubs anything that was debateable yesterday.

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

Did yas see those muppets celebrating after the final whistle yesterday. Ya would swear they were after winning the title already. Its only the semis yer in lads. And as Pillar Caffrey havin a David Beckham moment bringing the young lad onto the field at the end. What a pathetiic media stunt. I weoinder how many papers will have that on the back page today.
The media hyped Jackeen bandwagon seems to be on the go again. RTE commentary have a lot to answer to as well.
I hope to god we take them next week!!!

One thing I took from yesterdays game is that the Dubs are beatable. Big Time. They seem to have started to believe in their own self importance. If Geraghtys shot hadnt hit the post an gone in instead it could have been so different. The dubs would surely have wilted. And Take Kajagoogoo lookalike Mark Vaughan out of yesterdays game and they would have been hammered.
Also, why didnt the media pick up on The Ciaran Whelan punch throwing incident. If any other player in the country throws a punch its GBH. If a dub player throws one its classed as a good hard hitting game. Tripe

Allez

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The legendry Hill wit. Another comical gem from the jacks..."yizzer fuggin sheep shaggers". Priceless.

sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

mm...i see according to gaa.ie, the referee is Michael Collins from Cork, for Faithful v's Jackeens! don't know if this is good or bad, not too sure what sorta ref, he is ....

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

Collins aint too bad,
at least its not PRO-DUB McEnaney, Jesus he done everything but kick the ball over the bar for them yesterday.

The Gaa seem to have completely written us off as well, what happens if we do beat the Jacks, they will be left with17 teams in the draw. They seem fairly sure Offaly are gonna lie down

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

The Geraghty miss was crucial, had that gone in, I think Meath would have won. Also, Vaughan had a rare good day.
Still, I have to admit that Dublin impressed me quite a bit. I think they are deserved favourites, but Offaly will be as good or better than Meath.
The key to beating Dublin is keeping tacking on scores, go missing for 15 minutes and they will beat you. Score regularly and you wear them down.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

sin01 wrote:mm...i see according to gaa.ie, the referee is Michael Collins from Cork, for Faithful v's Jackeens! don't know if this is good or bad, not too sure what sorta ref, he is ....
I don't rate Collins at all. He's a very fussy ref. Loves to bring the ball forward when players show any exasperation at his bad decision making. Referees like an angry dictator, rather than with a cool head.
Did Offaly no favours against Roscommon in the relegation play off.
Gave Roscommon a non existant penalty and whistled Aidan Keenaghan for over carrying, when to my mind he hadn't taken more than 4 steps with the ball. Both of these lead to goals for Roscommon when Offaly were pulling away from them.

In the 2005 championship, he was the only ref who got a bad performance rating for the mess he made of the Ulster final replay between Tyrone and Armagh in Croke Park.

I'd worry about what a flakey ref might do with the Hill yobs baying at him. In last year's in the Leinster final the ref slightly favoured the Dubs.

DD
All Star

Post by DD »

arbarg wrote:Collins aint too bad,
at least its not PRO-DUB McEnaney, Jesus he done everything but kick the ball over the bar for them yesterday.

The Gaa seem to have completely written us off as well, what happens if we do beat the Jacks, they will be left with17 teams in the draw. They seem fairly sure Offaly are gonna lie down
I always though McEneaney was a good ref but he went down in my estimation yesterday as all the 50/50 decision went to the Dubs. Collins is fairly shite (although that could be said of nearly them all on a given day) but he is an experienced official unlike the eegit last year. They can all be swayed by 80,000 roaring at them but a lad that's been there on the big days will help a bit.

Ron
All Star

Last win

Post by Ron »

I had to look this up this morning in the results section.
Somebody said to me yesterday that we hadn't beaten the Dubs in Championship since '82, and looking at teh results that seems indeed to be the case. I didn't realise that, it really puts into context how much a win on Sunday would mean.

sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

so ya mean to tell me the last time offaly beat dublin was 25years ago...the year i was born!!! oh it would make me birthday soo much sweeter if we won!! :lol: :D