Offaly Vs Wexford 2/6/12 Leinster Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DAF
All Star

Re: Offaly Vs Wexford 2/6/12 Leinster Championship

Post by DAF »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:A few thoughts are coming through here now that lads are nervous about the game and the outcome, nothing at all wrong with that! Any time ya go out to play a game if you aint nervous then you aint up for it. It should be the same with the Offaly support, we are craving a victory and for anyone under 15 or 16 they wont remember anything of note. WE NEED TO LET WEXFORD KNOW THEY ARE OUR PATCH, OUR FIELD and LETS MAKE THIS AN EVENING WHERE WE, AS SUPPORTERS STAND UP AND DO THERE BIT.
Never mind the teams performance, Dublin last year, a disgrace, Galway 2010, an utter disgrace, not 1500 in croker, Antrim, not 1500 in Parnell park, League this year. We all whinged about being relegated, we got a reprieve and had decent teams coming to town and couldnt be bothered getting of our arses to get out there and see them.
GET OFF YER ARSES AND GET OVER TO TULLAMORE TOMORRO EVENING!( Yes, I am shouting!!) Because this will tell us where we stand as a county as much as anything else, time to get rid of the apathy out there, and the team has a role to play in this.

Do you think I should bring my Bodhran?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Is it a Fleadh Ceol you're going to?
DAF wrote:Do you think I should bring my Bodhran?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Nothing stirs the passions of fans quite like the pounding of a bodhran.It'll add to the indimidating athmosphere Ahlethimoutwithout wants to create.

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Is it a Fleadh Ceol you're going to?

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Dooley feels Tullamore factor can prove crucial for Faithful

OFFALY have to go back 12 years for their last championship win over Wexford and Faithful star Shane Dooley insists the midlanders "owe them one" ahead of tomorrow night's renewal (throw-in 7.0).

In their last meeting in 2009, the Slaneysiders made home advantage count when recording a seven-point win, but this game marks the first time Offaly face Wexford in the championship on their own turf, despite some 33 meetings in the provincial championship to date.

Previous clashes have been settled at either Croke Park or Nowlan Park before the home and away agreement came into effect late in the last decade.

For some, however, Tullamore is a home away from home for Offaly hurling. Despite the excellent facilities in O'Connor Park, some Offaly supporters still insist the Faithful should play their home matches in Birr, close to the spiritual heartland of hurling in the county, but Dooley insists that playing in Tullamore can work to their benefit.

"To be honest, I can't remember hurling in Birr," Dooley said. "The fact that it's in Tullamore is a bonus for me anyway. It's still our home pitch at the minute and we're going to treat it that way.

underestimate

"Wexford Park was their home pitch the last day and it worked for them. Hopefully, it will work in our favour this time.

"For us, we haven't really won a big game in Leinster in the last few years, so it's huge for us. You couldn't underestimate how big it is for us.

"We're going to be giving it everything. I've played once against them and they got one over on us and beat us well that day. We'll be looking for one back on them."

Tomorrow's clash also marks championship bows for Wexford manager Liam Dunne and Offaly boss Ollie Baker.

The Model men enjoyed the upper hand in their league clash in the spring when they came from nine points down in the final few minutes to nick a win in Wexford Park to continue their dominance of this fixture in recent years and Dooley maintains there'll be no excuses if they don't turn the tables in this encounter.

"I'd see it as a good rivalry between ourselves and Wexford down through the years. They've had the upper hand for the last while, but, hopefully, this will change on Saturday," he said.

"Things have gone well -- we're happy enough. There's always a bit of a difference in years when a new manager comes in, but things are going well."

- Donnchadh Boyle

Irish Independent

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

DAF wrote:

If you want to bring your bodhrán and think it is a good idea then bring it! As long as you are amusing yourself and not a menace to anyone that's all that matters!!

I fully endorse the indimidating athmosphere Ahlethimoutwithout wants to create.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Bring an accordion and a banjo while you're at it. That's really going to spook Jack Guiney.

If anyone comes near me with any apparatus resembling a Céilí band, they'll find themselves wearing said musical instruments. Ye have been warned.
DAF wrote:Nothing stirs the passions of fans quite like the pounding of a bodhran.It'll add to the indimidating athmosphere Ahlethimoutwithout wants to create.

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

I will.Where about are you sitting/standing .I'll try and get near there.I think I'll get my father to play the spoons aswell
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Bring an accordion and a banjo while you're at it. That's really going to spook Jack Guiney.

If anyone comes near me with any apparatus resembling a Céilí band, they'll find themselves wearing said musical instruments. Ye have been warned.
DAF wrote:Nothing stirs the passions of fans quite like the pounding of a bodhran.It'll add to the indimidating athmosphere Ahlethimoutwithout wants to create.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

turk wrote:
DAF wrote:
If you want to bring your bodhrán and think it is a good idea then bring it! As long as you are amusing yourself and not a menace to anyone that's all that matters!!

I fully endorse the indimidating athmosphere Ahlethimoutwithout wants to create.
I was thinking of bringing a portable wireless and putting to my ear to listen to it during the match.
Is that ok?

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
turk wrote:
DAF wrote:

I was thinking of bringing a portable wireless and putting to my ear to listen to it during the match.
Is that ok?

It's ok with me but not really intimidating, so maybe check with the lads !

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

As Christy Moore said "Bodhrans and Amadan's"! We can bring the Bodhrans, unfortunately we cant stop the "Amadans" from Wexford! The wireless to the ear would be classic alright. How about all the lads from Birr and surrounds bring sandwiches and flasks and ate from the boot after the epic journey to Tullamore :roll: , that could cause an element of confusion amongst the Wexford ranks??

The auld voice a bit shaky today after training the young lads last night, I lost me whistle, may get a few cups of hot water and honey/lemon on board, Jayz havnt been up for a game like this for a good while!
Would say I have more dislike for the Wexicans than the Westies at this stage. :evil:

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:As Christy Moore said "Bodhrans and Amadan's"! We can bring the Bodhrans, unfortunately we cant stop the "Amadans" from Wexford! The wireless to the ear would be classic alright. How about all the lads from Birr and surrounds bring sandwiches and flasks and ate from the boot after the epic journey to Tullamore :roll: , that could cause an element of confusion amongst the Wexford ranks??

The auld voice a bit shaky today after training the young lads last night, I lost me whistle, may get a few cups of hot water and honey/lemon on board, Jayz havnt been up for a game like this for a good while!
Would say I have more dislike for the Wexicans than the Westies at this stage. :evil:
i'd say you wouldn't know where ST.Brendans Park is, O'Connor Park is as far as you go :roll:

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

townman wrote:
can you not forgive clare for doing the double over your tipp in 1997, he has a good job in theses times whos the thick :roll:
did a tipp fella run away wit yer mammy or sumthin? :lol:
jesus but your obsessed.

as regards clare & tipp i dont think clare have bet dem in about 15 years so i doubt the tipp boys spend much time worryin about clare.

thats about as long since we bet the wexicans

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Best of luck tonight to the lads. Really looking forward to this one. Hope the weather stays dry but rain has been threatening. Really hope there's a big home crowd and hopefully we can get a group together on the terrace to create a bit of championship atmosphere

UibhFhaili2012
Junior B
Club: 15

Post by UibhFhaili2012 »

Hopefuly this rain will feck off, and doesnt turn the home support off coming to the match, home support is vital toi these players

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

What a relief! Offaly giving us palpitations as usual. At least they held out!