Club football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Goodsupporter11
Junior A
Club: Offaly

Re: Club football championship

Post by Goodsupporter11 »

Ye anton sullivan gone deffinitly a huge blow for rhode if he is gone for that long. . In my view rhodes best alround player by a distance. Think his absence will only be felt if/when rhode meet Clara later in championship. Think pullough wil beat edenderry. Ather this years Sfc think edenderry wil relise lady luck was wearing red last year. Rhode should beat ballycumber well. Can see tul beating gracefield with a few to spare. Clara should beat ferban well also. Very impresd with claras attacking choice this year also with players to return. Defensively very average thou.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

According to Midlands Radio 3 Rhode beat Ballycumber this evening

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

What times are the 3 matches in O'Connor Park on at tomorrow

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Semi Final Draw is:

Tullamore vs Rhode
Clara vs Edenderry

A Rhode vs Edenderry final would surely get the blood flowing up that end of the county!!

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Clara 3-13 Ferbane 0-7

Ferbane were shocking although Aidan Keenaghan was the width of a crossbar away from scoring one of the all time great goals.Clara looked lively and John O'Hara scored a couple of good goals.It should be a cracking semi final between them and Edenderry.

Tullamore 0-16 Gracefield 0-12

Tullamore look decent but are hugely reliant on Shane Dooley and Kevin Williamson.I think they scored 11 points between them,Just like in hurling Dooley is a class finisher and wouldn't look out of place at intercounty level.he scored a cracking line ball in the first few minutes of the match

Edenderry 2-15 Erin rovers 1-11 (I left with a couple of minutes to go so the final score may be slightly different)

Edenerry went 2-6 to 0-1 up after about 15 minutes but then David Hanlon got sent off after being dilberately wound up by Erin Rovers centre forward.Edenderry fluted around fo rth rest of teh match and did enough to win comfortably they look very good although the opposition werent great and I thought Sean doykle was impressive for Edenderry.

On a wider note I think the fact that 3 of the 4 quarter finals have been so one sided indicates that something needs to be done about the group stages.4 teams from 6 in each group is too much and it dilutes the quality of the knockout stages of the championship and turns the group stages into a series of glorified challenge matches.Edenderry only put in a half effort against Tubber if it was more difficult for them to qualify for the knockout stages teams would have to go all out in the group stages and there would be more worthwhile matches with championship intensity which would benefit players and supports alike.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

i think clara will need to bring their A game against edenderry for the semi, no doubt they will want some revenge for last year! edenderry had erin rovers bet in the first half and cruised to victory with 14 men, cummins and doyle were main targets up front and performed well, dalton caught ball after ball but really erin rovers were very poor. i would expect edenderry to put up a go show against clara but i think clara will win by 3 or 4 points. tullamore looked good and if they can get the ball into dooley and co they will rattle rhode.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

DAF wrote:Clara 3-13 Ferbane 0-7

Ferbane were shocking although Aidan Keenaghan was the width of a crossbar away from scoring one of the all time great goals.Clara looked lively and John O'Hara scored a couple of good goals.It should be a cracking semi final between them and Edenderry.

Tullamore 0-16 Gracefield 0-12

Tullamore look decent but are hugely reliant on Shane Dooley and Kevin Williamson.I think they scored 11 points between them,Just like in hurling Dooley is a class finisher and wouldn't look out of place at intercounty level.he scored a cracking line ball in the first few minutes of the match

Edenderry 2-15 Erin rovers 1-11 (I left with a couple of minutes to go so the final score may be slightly different)

Edenerry went 2-6 to 0-1 up after about 15 minutes but then David Hanlon got sent off after being dilberately wound up by Erin Rovers centre forward.Edenderry fluted around fo rth rest of teh match and did enough to win comfortably they look very good although the opposition werent great and I thought Sean doykle was impressive for Edenderry.

On a wider note I think the fact that 3 of the 4 quarter finals have been so one sided indicates that something needs to be done about the group stages.4 teams from 6 in each group is too much and it dilutes the quality of the knockout stages of the championship and turns the group stages into a series of glorified challenge matches.Edenderry only put in a half effort against Tubber if it was more difficult for them to qualify for the knockout stages teams would have to go all out in the group stages and there would be more worthwhile matches with championship intensity which would benefit players and supports alike.
I agree, 8 teams from 11 in q/finals is too much. It may be time to look at the championship format for future years, maybe a losers group?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

One statement that gets my goat Kingscounty!! "They better bring their A game", sure what team going out to play knockout championship does not give their best. What is the B game, they are beaten so they must have played their B game. What silly gooses they are!!!! They should simply have played their A game.
Cop on lads and stop picking up shite comments from those daft Mayo/Mayo Donegal??? "analysts" Kevin Mcstay & Martin Carney.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:One statement that gets my goat Kingscounty!! "They better bring their A game", sure what team going out to play knockout championship does not give their best. What is the B game, they are beaten so they must have played their B game. What silly gooses they are!!!! They should simply have played their A game.
Cop on lads and stop picking up shite comments from those daft Mayo/Mayo Donegal??? "analysts" Kevin Mcstay & Martin Carney.

Well they didnt bring their A game to last years county final and Clara can be quite inconsitent but they will have to be on top form to get past Edenderry.I think that is what he meant.Regardless of how teams may want to play at their best it doesnt always happen on the day for them.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Of course I know what he meant, but this A game thing is a complete nonsense. And all i'm saying is that there is no need to give those muppets, Mcstay & Carney credence here by repeating their silly attempts to bring new phrases into the GAA.
It goes without saying that Edenderry will have to be somewhere near their best to beat Clara. I would say that would be the case for all teams going into a semi final. I have yet to meet a coach that sets out, "right lads, we are going to try this B game thing today. It might
not be good enough for the win but we want to keep a little in the tank for the final, so if we do win, we will have a better chance of winning the final!!!"

Rant over, but that Mcstay does my head in, and Carney is worse.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:One statement that gets my goat Kingscounty!! "They better bring their A game", sure what team going out to play knockout championship does not give their best. What is the B game, they are beaten so they must have played their B game. What silly gooses they are!!!! They should simply have played their A game.
i couldnt care less what gets on your goat you muppet , bit of a know it all you sound like. your the guy that was bitching about some of the footballers wearing white socks , maybe you should stick to the fashion end of things. sure what would a mayo or donegal man know about football!! oh wait what teams are in the all ireland final :roll: .

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Ah Kingscounty, a little bit of constructive feedback never hurt anyone. And no, dont approve of wearing tennis socks, should wear your club colours and "bring your A game to all championship matches!". But no, was not me who brought up the fashion stakes.

Good point on the 2 making the final, McStay and Carney, legends of the GAA. I must study them more "going forward".

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Ah Kingscounty, a little bit of constructive feedback never hurt anyone. And no, dont approve of wearing tennis socks, should wear your club colours and "bring your A game to all championship matches!". But no, was not me who brought up the fashion stakes.

Good point on the 2 making the final, McStay and Carney, legends of the GAA. I must study them more "going forward".
good man , personally i dont dislike or like either and the A game expression is an american expression as far as im aware. i wouldnt knock either mcstay or carney, mcstay has an all star and both played at county level more than alot will ever play! maybe rte should move Giles over to the sunday game for you! :D

Goodsupporter11
Junior A
Club: Offaly

Post by Goodsupporter11 »

Just looking at paddy power.....
Outright
Rhode - 4/5
Clara - 2/1
Edenderry - 11/2
Tullamore - 8/1

Semi's
Clara 4/9 Edenderry 9/4
Rhode 2/9 Tullamore 4/1

Any taughts on these odds? Surely Edenderry worth a pound or two?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Goodsupporter11 wrote:Just looking at paddy power.....
Outright
Rhode - 4/5
Clara - 2/1
Edenderry - 11/2
Tullamore - 8/1

Semi's
Clara 4/9 Edenderry 9/4
Rhode 2/9 Tullamore 4/1

Any taughts on these odds? Surely Edenderry worth a pound or two?
its hard to look past rhode against tullamore but tullamore can slip in under the radar with no pressure on them at all, il go for a draw here RHODE 1-13 TULLAMORE 2-10. clara fancied against the reds but again no one is expecting edenderry to win here, like last year they were given no chance but i feel edenderry will do better than people expect and their fitness against erin rovers told as they won easy enough with 14 men for most of the game and if cummins and doyle can get good ball they could cause damage,the worry i would have about edenderry is if murphy at full back is on a fast man he will be taken to the cleaners, they are county champions and will want to do their best to retain it but i feel clara will be out for revenge and il go for CLARA 2-12 EDENDERRY 1-10. If i was having a bet id go for a tullamore /edenderry double get the most for my £5 bet :D