Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I'd start with a forward six of

10 - Hayden
11 - Healion
12 - Molloy
13- Carroll
14 - Bergin
15 - Dooley

Leave Bergin and Dooley close to goals, pull back the half forward line, withdraw Carroll to the space between the full and half forward lines.
I'd try to get Carroll operating like Joe Deane used to do with Cork. Where the rest of the forwards would pull away to create space. The ball use to be popped out in front of him and he'd come out and collect it. A forward doesn't need to bullet fast if his movement and the supply is intelligent.

It might give Offaly another option, rather than "driving it" at Bergin and Dooley all day.

I'd try Healion at CF also. He poses a bigger running threat than Brady. If he gets the ball in hand, he is the more likely to get moving in the direction of the Galway goal. Potentially drawing in defenders and creating space for other forwards. Joe Brady will hurl toe-to-toe with his man and not spare timber. His compass is a little 3 directional though. He is more likely to go back ways or sideways than forward with possession.

Remember that the player looking to turn and race at goal wins frees. The slower player who starts wriggling around to clear space to play it gets no sympathy from refs.

Hayden at wing forward would be Joe Dooley's tactical master stroke. Having not played him here all year, Galway will be caught out by this move!
Well said and I agree completely.
One thing though, if not at wing forward I'm assuming you have Murphy in midfield?

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Will we hear the immortal line that davy fitz made famous, on sunday... GIVE IT TO JOE, GIVE IT TO JOE!

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

lads we need to believe.. if the players believe we can do it then wel be there or there abouts come 70 mins.. if the lads go out thinking we wont win we'll get hammered.. i think if were in with after 60-65 mins galway will panick.. they did last year against waterford a game the were expected to win.. if we crowd midfield and dont let galway hurl from the start and cut off there scoring oppurtunities then the lads will get more confident as the game goes on..

im expecting a huge preformance and il put my neck on the line and say we'll scrape it by a pint or two..

ballinamereman1
County player

Bord na Mona man wrote:Has anyone any thoughts on how Offaly could win this one?

If it is a normal structured game, then Galway should run out winners by a few points.
Offaly's only hope is to inject the element of chaos to proceedings. Hope to turn the game into a bit of a lottery.
kealey will be in the corner.?. if so we must utilise his speed.. is the chaos your talking about conor mahon at full forward although he cant take a score i would love to see conor mahon throw in full forward for a five minute spell.. a great man to catch a ball as we all could see last year as he plucked numerous ball out of the sky against cork.. if mahon was operating at full forward and if he could catch just one ball which he is very capable of and throw it out to kealey or dooley more than likely the net could be rattled,,. we need a full forward who can win primary possesion and offload it to better placed players.. maho himself can mix it up and he could run at the full back as he has great turn of speed.

ballinamereman1
County player

taking from hoganstand
Leinster SHC semi final - Galway v. Offaly

Galway manager John McIntyre has expressed his concern at the number of injuries that his side currently have to deal with, as no fewer than ten players are carrying knocks ahead of Sunday's clash. However, most of these should be recovered in time for the trip to Croke Park where Galway will go into the match as strong favourites to progress to the decider.

In their win over Wexford, they produced an excellent second half display to ease through comfortably and on the wide open space of Croke Park, their free running forwards should thrive on the freedom. Wing forward Andy Smith will be a massive loss, but they have the squad to deal without him.

Offaly need to step it up a level from their performance against Antrim if they are to have any chance here. A recent challenge game result against Cork suggests they are some way behind the top teams in the country and that includes Galway. They are over reliant on Shane Dooley for scores and that burden needs to be shared around.

The Faithful County are rebuilding at the moment and a decent run in the qualifiers maybe the best they can hope for this year. Verdict: Galway

Galway (SH v Offaly): C Callanan; D Joyce, S Kavanagh, O Canning; D Barry, T Og Regan, D Collins; G Farragher, D Burke; D Hayes, C Donnellan, A Callanan; A Harte, J Canning, I Tannian.

Ladbrokes.com odds: Galway 1/12; Draw 16/1; Offaly 7/1

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

I will be travelling up and looking forward to our return to Croker, I think its good for us to get back up there. Unfortunately I dont think the result will be in our favour, although I think we will give it a right rattle. The important thing is for us to stay hurling for the 70 minutes and who knows after that but to be honest I think we will stay with Galway for 50/55 mins and then probably 'fade-out" of the game, which has happened too often in recent years.

In reply to ballinamereman's point on Conor Mahon, Mahon is no longer on the offaly panel as he has travelled to America for the summer. Im hoping that Ger Healion will get the nod at centre forward, I think he made a big impact in the Parnell Park when he came on against Antrim, I think he is a better man to have at centre forward than Joe Brady because I feel he is a better scoring threat than Brady would be and is better breaking down ball also. Surely Brendan Murphy and Dylan Hayden will be starting also and hopefully Rigney will be fit to take his place as I think his determination alone is an asset to the team.

Anyway as few of the previous posters have said we have to travel with faith on Sunday, I will be there roaring the lads on, and maybe by 6 o'clock sunday evening we could be celebrating a victory!

C'mon the Faithful! :D
Keep The Faith

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Jesus lads, what sort of PR do we have in this county, it's
nearly lunch time on Saturday and we don't know the starting
15 for tomorrow. What a joke. I could name the starting 15 for
every other county that's playing tomorrow except ours.

ballinamereman1
County player

allstar2010 wrote:Jesus lads, what sort of PR do we have in this county, it's
i think our team was only being named this morning to give rigney and molloy a chance to prove there fitness..
just aswell keep it under raps anyway.. keep john guessing...

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

30,000 predicted at Leinster SHC double bill
19 June 2010

Leinster Council secretary Michael Delaney is expecting an attendance of around 30,000 at tomorrow's provincial SHC semi-final double bill at Croke Park.

Delaney predicted a crowd in the region of 45,000 for last weekend's football double-header and wasn't far out as nearly 50,000 filed through the turnstiles.

"I think we would be looking at in and around the 30,000-mark," the Laois man predicted.

"That's the feeling I get going by the requests for tickets in the office this week anyway. The hurling crowd are always slower to purchase their tickets in advance, especially in Kilkenny, as they always know that there will be tickets floating around for the hurling games."

(Taken from HS)

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

allstar2010 wrote:Jesus lads, what sort of PR do we have in this county, it's
allstar2010,
Would you rather go out tomorrow without Molloy and Rigney and have the team named on Thursday minus the two lads,or wait until today when the two lads might have a chance of being fit for tomorrow?
I would certainly rather wait until today to give Molloy and Rigney every chance of lining out in the starting 15 tomorrow!

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Any word on the team yet?

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

They were having a final puck around in clareen at 4 o clock today and the team was being named there.

C'mon the Faithful :D
He is so bad in goal he needs the net in front of him.

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

1. J. Dempsey
2. S. Egan
3. D. Kenny
4. D. Franks
5. D. Morkan
6. P.Cleary
7. J. Rigney
8. D. Hayden
9. B. Murphy
10. R. Hanniffy
11. J. Brady
12. D.Molloy
13. B. Carroll
14. J. Bergin
15. S. Dooley
He is so bad in goal he needs the net in front of him.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Would prefer to see Ger Healion on the 40 rather than Joe Brady. Healion carries a greater scoring threat. Anyway good to see Molloy and Rigney paseed late fitness tests and are fit to start tomorrow.
Uibh Fhaili Abu!

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

The team selection looks positive and as said above, I think the management were right to wait and see on any fitness worries.

Kevin Brady will probably feel he didn't do alot wrong v Antrim but his tendency to foul and failure to mark tightly, especially when tiring, would have us in big trouble with Ger Farragher on top form so that's probably why he's lost out. Stephen Egan, in my opinion, is a better option than Verney in the wide open expanses of Croke Park and Brendan Murphy had to come back in somewhere once fit so all in all the team looks that little bit stronger.

I feel that if we can put their backs under enough pressure and stop Ollie Canning being the 'playmaker', whereby he very often recieves a handpass from another back and places Joe or Damien Hayes away, then we have a massive chance. The Galway backline in general are average by inter-county standards and we need to capitalise on that if we're to win. Their forwards will have a field day given time and space and that's what we need to try and stop.

Here's hoping for a famous victory and another great day for all the faithful.... see ye there!!