Offaly Minors

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lean Times
County player

Re: Offaly Minors

Post by Lean Times »

azoffaly wrote:Waste of time is right. At least I hope all possible subs got a long run out?
Yes they emptied the bench! The funny thing is I walked in after 5 minutes and it was 1.1 to 1.0...was preparing myself for a battle! The panel would have been best off having a match organised tomorrow or sunday against a strong opposition and perhaps bringing them back to earth but I'm sure John Ryan and his charges will keep everyones feet on the ground and work hard before the next game. My only worry with John Ryan is that he can find a settled team....there have been many positional changes since the start of the year and again for tonights match. This was partly the reason I beleive Offaly could have done better last year if it wasnt for so many switches in the team match on match.

banjo
Junior C

Post by banjo »

Spoke to someone who was at the match he said Ryan only used 3subs makes little of the rest of the bench especially when they won by51 points

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

banjo wrote:Spoke to someone who was at the match he said Ryan only used 3subs makes little of the rest of the bench especially when they won by51 points
Sorry I stand corrected, only 3 subs were used and not the full bench.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

This is a no win situation for the management team here. There are arguments for and against emptying the bench. To be honest, I wouldn't read anything into tonight at all.

Job done, move on to the next match. nothing to be see here.

banjo
Junior C

Post by banjo »

I agree totally with you more of a hindrance than a help lets not get carried away with a score line like that by all accounts it was only shooting practise

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

take the win as a positive and move on. i see kildare hammered wexford so they look like they will be hard to stop.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

For what its worth:

OFFALY -- C Clancy; A O'Connell, J Quinn, D Corbett; E Carroll, L Kelly, B Grehan; C Cahill, C McNamee; P Cunningham, J Maher, M Kirwan; J Kavanagh, S Lawless, R Reynolds. Subs: N Dempsey for Kirwan, S Moriarty for O'Connell, R McNamee for Lawless (blood), R McNamee for Kavanagh

SCORERS -- Offaly: J Maher 0-13 (4f), S Lawless, R Reynolds 3-0 each, P Cunningham 1-8 (0-4f),J Kavanagh 1-4 (0-1f), C McNamee 0-2, M Kirwan, N Dempsey, C Cahill, 0-1 each.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Kilkenny do neither themselves nor their youngsters any favours by allowing themselves to be subjected to that sort of beating. There were rumours in advance of the match that this particular KK team was well prepared and that Offaly would have to be on their guard. I went up to the Kilkenny manager before the start of the game to confirm if the team named on the programme was starting - he said that one guy had "club hurling training" and promptly pointed to the midfielder and captain on the list.

These guys clearly had spent no time together, had no idea how to play football and were deficient in the basic skills of the game. Even more odd, there were 12 different clubs represented on the Kilkenny team. Now clearly if football is struggling in the county, then you'd imagine that one or two clubs would provide most of the players, the few clubs that actually play the game. I'd guess that this was a case of clubs just sending in someone for the sake of sending someone. County board chairman Ned Quinn was named as one of the selectors - I'd be amazed that he'd let this kind of thing happen on his watch.

On the Offaly side, in fairness to the players, they lost concentration for the goal but for the rest of the match they went about it the right way, did the right things and got the results. Most of them looked very good, but then they would against that standard of opposition. Hopefully some of the challenge matches in the next few weeks will give the lads a stronger test and get them up to the pitch required for a straight knockout quarter final. It's a tough situation having to be ready for straight knockout without a real test, but by the looks of things neither Dublin nor Kildare got too much of a test either.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Meath up next in Q/F. Tough test and rough draw in comparison to who they could have drawn.

Lost to Mayo by 2 points last Sunday.
Playing Tipperary this Sunday.

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Taken from Hoganstand....

Leinster MFC quarter-final and semi-final details
26 April 2012

The fixtures for the remaining games in the Leinster MFC have been made.

The quarter finals will be played on Saturday 19 May with the semi-finals taking place after the leaving certificate, on the 7 or 11 July.

Leinster MFC quarter-finals
Wicklow v Wexford/Carlow/Westmeath, TBC
Offaly v Meath, Tullamore
Kildare v Louth, Newbridge
Dublin v Laois/Longford, Parnell Park

Leinster MFC semi-finals
Wicklow/Wexford/Carlow/Westmeath v Offaly/Meath, TBC
Kildare/Louth v Dublin/Laois/Longford, TBC

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Any Idea of the team for tommorows match against Meath?

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

1 Conor Clancy (St Rynaghs)
2 Sean Moriarity (Edenderry)
3 Jordan Quinn (KIlcormac/Killoughey)
4 Brian Grehan (Ferbane)
5 Owen Carroll (Cappincur)
6 Luke Kelly (Clara)
7 Darragh Corbett (Shannonbridge)
8 Ciaran Cahill (Belmont)
9 Conor McNamee (Rhode)
10 Johnny Kavanagh (Tullamore)
11 Oisin Cusack (Durrow)
12 Peter Cunningham (c) (Bracknagh)
13 Ruair McNamee (Rhode)
14 Joseph Maher (Ferbane)
15 Richard Reynolds (Raheen)

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow. Hopefully a good turnout to support them and not the usual away team's supporters outnumbering ours.

banjo
Junior C

Post by banjo »

Where is all the outstanding minors Edenderry had last year Aaron o Connell Peter o neill cormac Hurley Sean Doyle who all have all Ireland colleges medals and I'm almost sure they have county senior medals aswell .good to see nepotism is alive and well in minor ranks aswell

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

banjo wrote:Where is all the outstanding minors Edenderry had last year Aaron o Connell Peter o neill cormac Hurley Sean Doyle who all have all Ireland colleges medals and I'm almost sure they have county senior medals aswell .good to see nepotism is alive and well in minor ranks aswell
13 different clubs represented on the starting 15. I don't think you can accuse any nepotism in fairness.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Lawless the fullforward not playing after getting a hat-trick the last day :?