First indication of football panel for 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Silken Thomas
All Star

Re: First indication of football panel for 2009

Post by Silken Thomas »

Any word how this is going?
Anyone else pulled out or added to the squad?

With a clear emphasis on change I would like this team to line out;

1) Padraig Kelly- Still gets the jersey if he wants it. About time someone started to challenge him?

2) Ger Rafferty- Was clearly not operating at full tilt for the Down farce and Westmeath debacle so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

3) Kevin Lynam- I've seen enough from him to suggest he has the talent. Physically strong, aggresive I would give him the time necessary. If Conor Evans comes back it's a fair fight, with Evans more than showing enough form these days and being the right side of thirty. Evans would probably be my choice but will he be brought back :?:

4) Thomas Coughlan- There is questions about his commitment but ticks most of the boxes. I think he could do a job for us here.

5) Neville Coughlan- Seems to be more at home with his back to his own goal. Still powerful, pacy and direct. Would offer leadership and experience.

6) Sean Casey- He is the stand out centre back of Offaly football this year. He has presence like Scott Brady but far more speed and acceleration.

7) Karol Slattery- His commitment to the cause is admirable and with his ability to attack as well as defend is surely a given for this position.

8) Niall Smith- The classic fielder who as he fills out could be a big player for us.

9) Ciarán McManus- Has offered to commute and even now at the twilight of his career still seems to offer more than Alan McNamee.

10) Niall Darby- He's small, not strong and one footed but has so much energy and desire he can make up for this. Links attack and defence very well and is a great option for right sided frees.

11) Rory Guinan- Offers so much but can he commit :?: . My alternative is Matt Mitchell. An excellent passer with genuine flair he is capable of great things.

12) Aidan Keenaghan- You would wonder who picks these panels :?: . I'm going to name him here believing that someone will recognise this error sooner rather than later.

13) Jason Kelly- I would play him as a third midfielder. If he prepares properly he can really turn heads in Leinster.

14) James Coughlan- Blighted by loss of form and injury, 2009 will hopefully be a big year. Showed real promise in 2004 and 2005 and still so young. Left and right, when he is good he is so dangerous.

15) Niall McNamee- Part of a two man full forward line. One of the premier forwards in the province and probably further afield.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Lone Shark wrote:They had big wins over Ferbane and Gracefield, both entirely down to Niall running the show. Take Niall out and Rhode were feck all better than either of those clubs, and neither of them are heavily represented on the county panel.
Not being smart LS but is this the same team they beat in both the champ and league final this year? The same team who were involved in a relegation playoff?? I think the Rhode players deserve a little more credit than their being given. If Niall Mac plied his trade with Ferbane or any other club team in Offaly, would they be winning three out of four champs and contesting leinster finals?? Honestly?? Theres no doubt that he is the heartbeat of this Rhode team but I bet that pound for pound the other 14-17 guys are better than any other club in offaly. They might not be as dominant without him but they would certainly be there abouts.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

My honest opinion? Yup, if you put Niall into the Gracefield, Shamrocks, Clara or Tullamore teams, and they would be doing exactly what Rhode are now. He is that good. That's not to run down the other guys on the team any more than I would run down the club players on the four clubs named above, but Niall gives them something special that no other club has right now.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Have to disagree with you there Shark! Rhode have a much more stable base than any of the other teams. Niall would get about 30% less ball to begin with if he were playing for anyone else. Its debatable if Niall is as good as our own Frank Weir. At his peak 5-6 years ago I would say Frank was an all round better player. Also I find Niall although a great player a little on the boring side......never tries anything out of the ordinary......all very bland......with Frank you don't know what you're going to get :wink:

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

The present Rhode team would win Offaly without Niall because they are so committed to the cause and in Tom Coffey they have an outstanding manager, he has them so well drilled and he knows the opposition so well.
Be careful out their

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Coffey will be the next Offaly manager.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

In case of misunderstanding, I'm not saying that Rhode without Niall wouldn't beat any of the four teams I named above - they'd be very competitive and would probably still be no bigger than 5/2 or 3/1 to win the county. However the question was not if Niall wasn't available, it was if Niall was playing with someone else. Rhode without Niall would be marginal favourites over Tullamore without Niall or Shamrocks without him, but if either of those clubs had a player like him at corner forward as well? Strong favourites then.

For the record I'm not trying to say that Rhode without Niall wouldn't beat Ferbane on another day either - however I don't think it's a stretch to say that if they didn't have him against us this summer, they would have been in real bother. He scored ten points in a six point win, most of them coming at a crucial stage in the game when Rhode were under real pressure. On another day things might be different, but on that day a Niall-less Rhode would not have won, in my opinion obviously.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

bracknaghboy wrote: Its debatable if Niall is as good as our own Frank Weir. At his peak 5-6 years ago I would say Frank was an all round better player.
Whatever your smokin you'd wanna stop it fairly shortly lad..

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

naasmanxrhode wrote:The present Rhode team would win Offaly without Niall because they are so committed to the cause and in Tom Coffey they have an outstanding manager, he has them so well drilled and he knows the opposition so well.
I have to say, there has been some statements on this website over the years, but that beats Banagher...to suggest that rhode would win without Niall- where would the scores come from?

As is often the case a manager (in this case Stephen Darby) lays the groundwork, does all the hard graft and then realises that these boys arent far off reaching the promised land and so he takes a step back so as to freshen things up a little, and let the lads reach their potential. If Rhode win the leinster sunday week, Mr Darby can take a step back, smile and realise that he was the brains behind it. It doesnt take a genius to realise that. Even some of the more senior players on the Rhode team would admit that the present management team offer little- motivation is there amongst the players as they chase history.And more luck to them I say.
Contae an Riogh

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Coolestown1562 wrote: I have to say, there has been some statements on this website over the years, but that beats Banagher...to suggest that rhode would win without Niall- where would the scores come from?
If Niall wasn't on the team, someone else would become the main target man and get the bulk of the scores - Pachal Kellaghan, Roy Malone etc.
They mightn't score as prolifically, but Rhode wouldn't be stuck for scores.

On current form, I think Rhode would still win the county title without Niall.
Club teams can go off the boil quickly though.
Next year they could dumped out of the Offaly championship even with Niall on the team!

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Bord na Mona man wrote: If Niall wasn't on the team, someone else would become the main target man and get the bulk of the scores - Pachal Kellaghan, Roy Malone etc.

On current form, I think Rhode would still win the county title without Niall.
Club teams can go off the boil quickly though.
Next year they could dumped out of the Offaly championship even with Niall on the team!
I have to agree with ya there BNMM. Although Niall is a class act I do think that Rhode have some of the best forwards in the county and if he was not there, then any of those mentioned above or indeed young Sullivan would surely do enough to win the title. The fact that he is there with them makes them all the stronger and even more formidable to any team in this county.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

bula bula wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote: If Niall wasn't on the team, someone else would become the main target man and get the bulk of the scores - Pachal Kellaghan, Roy Malone etc.
Not sure how many games Roy Malone got more than say 2 points with rhode- would say there are limited because his shooting is probably the worst aspect of his game.Pascal got a wonder goal a few weeks back but hasnt scored 5-6 points a game since 1999/2000.

Simple fact is that McNamee is a scoring machine. A one man effort. Like colm O'rourke i'd eat my hat if rhode ever win a game that he doesnt score in
Contae an Riogh

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Silken Thomas wrote:Any word how this is going?
Anyone else pulled out or added to the squad?

With a clear emphasis on change I would like this team to line out;

1) Padraig Kelly- Still gets the jersey if he wants it. About time someone started to challenge him?

2) Ger Rafferty- Was clearly not operating at full tilt for the Down farce and Westmeath debacle so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

3) Kevin Lynam- I've seen enough from him to suggest he has the talent. Physically strong, aggresive I would give him the time necessary. If Conor Evans comes back it's a fair fight, with Evans more than showing enough form these days and being the right side of thirty. Evans would probably be my choice but will he be brought back :?:

4) Thomas Coughlan- There is questions about his commitment but ticks most of the boxes. I think he could do a job for us here.

5) Neville Coughlan- Seems to be more at home with his back to his own goal. Still powerful, pacy and direct. Would offer leadership and experience.

6) Sean Casey- He is the stand out centre back of Offaly football this year. He has presence like Scott Brady but far more speed and acceleration.

7) Karol Slattery- His commitment to the cause is admirable and with his ability to attack as well as defend is surely a given for this position.

8) Niall Smith- The classic fielder who as he fills out could be a big player for us.

9) Ciarán McManus- Has offered to commute and even now at the twilight of his career still seems to offer more than Alan McNamee.

10) Niall Darby- He's small, not strong and one footed but has so much energy and desire he can make up for this. Links attack and defence very well and is a great option for right sided frees.

11) Rory Guinan- Offers so much but can he commit :?: . My alternative is Matt Mitchell. An excellent passer with genuine flair he is capable of great things.

12) Aidan Keenaghan- You would wonder who picks these panels :?: . I'm going to name him here believing that someone will recognise this error sooner rather than later.

13) Jason Kelly- I would play him as a third midfielder. If he prepares properly he can really turn heads in Leinster.

14) James Coughlan- Blighted by loss of form and injury, 2009 will hopefully be a big year. Showed real promise in 2004 and 2005 and still so young. Left and right, when he is good he is so dangerous.

15) Niall McNamee- Part of a two man full forward line. One of the premier forwards in the province and probably further afield.
Just on aidan keenaghen hes having some knee trouble again and asked not to be included till hes fully happy with his recovery. He was called up to panel.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Coolestown1562 wrote:
bula bula wrote:
Not sure how many games Roy Malone got more than say 2 points with rhode- would say there are limited because his shooting is probably the worst aspect of his game.Pascal got a wonder goal a few weeks back but hasnt scored 5-6 points a game since 1999/2000.

Simple fact is that McNamee is a scoring machine. A one man effort. Like colm O'rourke i'd eat my hat if rhode ever win a game that he doesnt score in
The reason other Rhode players haven't scored as much is because Niall is the main attack source.
If he isn't there then other players will get the supply of the ball in the danger positions.
It is not as if Rhode would be playing with 14 men and an empty area in front near the goal.

He is easily the best forward in the county, but Rhode are far from a one man team.
Rhode beat Portlaoise with the scorers:
N Darby 1-2 (2f), P Kelleghan 1-0, N McNamee 0-3 (1f), R Malone, E Byrne, P Sullivan and A Sullivan 0-1 each

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I have a few reservations about that team above but I fully suuport calls for Keenaghens inclusion. I'd like to see Sean Ryan there as well. Himself and young Darby would be an explosive combination. Lets abandon the handpass and run at these defences like Malone did in '97 and '98.