What's the answer to the fielding crisis?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Rynaghs Biffo wrote:Like him or love him, u can never drop McManus!!
Is Hate Him an option? He is the most overrated and frustrating player in the country. But when we have no other viable options, I agree he can't be dropped.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Sorry there, meant to say hate him of love him!!! my mistake!

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

DD wrote:Is Hate Him an option? He is the most overrated and frustrating player in the country. But when we have no other viable options, I agree he can't be dropped.
I agree 100% with the frustration part as his form swings wildly in a season.

Can't agree with the overrated part I'm afraid - Permanent fixture on the International Rules team through various managers and one of the best players there every time. On his day he can outplay any midfielder in the country ( eg Rory O'Connell, Both Laois men in 2004, etc). Problem is with his inconsistency not his ability.

He has unbelievable passion and desire to win similiar to Keane ( which can overspill which leads him into trying to take on too many roles).

Brilliant fitness levels coupled with highly erratic kicking.

He had a very poor game by his standards against Dublin but he could be outstanding against Laois - that's the nature of the man and you have to take the rough with the smooth.

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Mighty Pair O' Hands wrote:
DD wrote:Is Hate Him an option? He is the most overrated and frustrating player in the country. But when we have no other viable options, I agree he can't be dropped.
I agree 100% with the frustration part as his form swings wildly in a season.

Can't agree with the overrated part I'm afraid - Permanent fixture on the International Rules team through various managers and one of the best players there every time. On his day he can outplay any midfielder in the country ( eg Rory O'Connell, Both Laois men in 2004, etc). Problem is with his inconsistency not his ability.

He has unbelievable passion and desire to win similiar to Keane ( which can overspill which leads him into trying to take on too many roles).

Brilliant fitness levels coupled with highly erratic kicking.

He had a very poor game by his standards against Dublin but he could be outstanding against Laois - that's the nature of the man and you have to take the rough with the smooth.
The most annoying thing for me is that he dosn't learn - he's playing inter county for ten years now and he still has too many weak parts to his game which you would expect someone of his so called ability to have worked on. His decision making is awful - he shoots for goal when the pass is the better option and he will try the intricate pass when an attempt on goal is more viable.
He loses possession far too often and in areas of the pitch which can hurt the team badly. There were a couple of examples of this in both the Kildare & Dublin matches which ended up in points against us.
His shooting in general is wayward and although he can land them from up to 60m he can miss the ones from 30-35 metres.
He would probably be better served as a wing forward with a specific role rather than midfield where as you said, he does take on too many roles but with no real alternatives in midfield we have no choice but to bear with him and hope he comes good.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

To cut through all the bluster.....

My team for the weekend.

P.Kelly
Rafferty
Sullivan
Grennan
Neville "Boris" Coughlan
Brady
Slattery
Alan Mc (if fit)
McManus
Quinn
Pascal
Mark Daly
Reynolds
Niall Mc
Deehan

Withdraw reynolds and make up a 4 man half forward line.Defend like fcuk when laois have the ball.

There will be a lot of breaking ball in the middle and Quinn and Paschal will thrive on it and if they get possession they will deliver quality ball into the 2 boys.

A move for Neville on the basis of a great display against Cork in the first league match and a mediocre to average display at centre forward in the leinster final.While he is a good player he doesnt have the passing ability a centre forward should.He will win ball out in front and carry as well as anyone but its no good when 30 yard foot passes go astray.He will also have the legs for Billy Sheehan which in my opinion McConway wouldnt have.Furthermore He will give Sheehan something to contemplate form a defensive point of view.

alibi
Junior C

Team selection for Laois game

Post by alibi »

Team for Laois game

P.Kelly
J.Rafferty
G.Rafferty
N.Grennan
N.Couglan
S.Sullivan
Slattery
A.Mcnamee
S.Brady
C.Quinn
P.Keenaghan
Mcmanus
N.Mcnamee
M.Daly
T.Deehan

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

The team should be

P.Kelly
S.Sullivan (best man to mark Beano)
G. Raff (Laois will probably play a target man type of full forward)
N. Grennan (to follow Munnelly all over the place)
J.Keane
S.Brady
K.Slattery
A.McNamee
C.McManus
P.Keelaghan (there purely because he'd be much bigger than Joe Higgins & would be a good option for kickouts)
N.Coughlan
C.Quinn
T.Deehan
M.Daly (there to try win high ball aginst Darren Rooney)
N.McNamee.
The Untouchable