County senior hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: County senior hurling championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

And I thought it was so the milking could be done in time for Mass!

6 referees would be do-able alright. You'd have Gavin, Cooke, Walsh, Kirwan, Carroll and Groome. Getting 24 umpires, when all the hurling clubs are in action at the same time could be a tall order though.

Which reminds me, stewards would be difficult to arrange what with a club’s team playing at another venue at the same time. Matches might have to be fixed for non-senior clubs like OCP, Rath, Crinkill, Carrig and 2 other venues.
kinnittyman wrote:What I heard is that there is a function for the Offaly 1985 team in Dublin that night and all games are being played early in the evening to allow people to go to that and the All Ireland the next day.

The matches from the same groups all have to throw in simultaneously which could be hard to organise on a Friday evening so Saturday at the same time for all games is the last remaining option. Do we have 6 competent senior hurling referees in the county?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Goop point about the venues.

Because I'm at a loose end and taking your theory into consideration that non senior venues be used, here's my guess.

Tullamore v Brosna Gaels- Killurin

Birr V Shinrone- Carrig

Kilcormac/Killoughey v Shamrocks- O Connor Park

Seir Kieran v Coolderry- Crinkle

St Ryanghs v Lusmagh- Rath

Kinnitty v Belmont- Killeigh??????

Maybe Tommy Burns is reading this and has saved himself a lot of bother!!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

kinnittyman wrote:Goop point about the venues.

Because I'm at a loose end and taking your theory into consideration that non senior venues be used, here's my guess.

Birr V Shinrone- Carrig

Surely when it comes to some of the venues, there are a few grounds that might normally be more used for football that could be used? I know that might offend traditionalists a little bit, but is Killurin not a bit on the short side as well? (Good surface I know, but still...) Either that or you could see Tullamore vs Brosna played in Ballinamere and Kinnitty vs Belmont moved to Killurin.

Alternatively, I must confess that I've never been at a game in Ballyskenach - surely that would be an option either, maybe for the Birr vs Shinrone game, and then you could play Rynaghs vs Lusmagh in Carrig and move Belmont vs Kinnitty to Rath.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Birr V Shinrone- Carrig

now now kinnittyman you should know the name of our ex county board chairman its tommy Bryne
he done a lot with offaly when he was there. :P

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

leinsterman wrote:now now kinnittyman you should know the name of our ex county board chairman its tommy Bryne
he done a lot with offaly when he was there.
Mea Culpa!!!

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Lone Shark wrote:

Birr V Shinrone- Carrig

Surely when it comes to some of the venues, there are a few grounds that might normally be more used for football that could be used? I know that might offend traditionalists a little bit, but is Killurin not a bit on the short side as well? (Good surface I know, but still...) Either that or you could see Tullamore vs Brosna played in Ballinamere and Kinnitty vs Belmont moved to Killurin.

Alternatively, I must confess that I've never been at a game in Ballyskenach - surely that would be an option either, maybe for the Birr vs Shinrone game, and then you could play Rynaghs vs Lusmagh in Carrig and move Belmont vs Kinnitty to Rath.

Why not have three double headers with all the Group one games at 4.00 and the Group two at 5.30 or something like that. 3 venues OCP, Rath and Crinkle
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

footoftheblooms
Junior B

Post by footoftheblooms »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:And I thought it was so the milking could be done in time for Mass!

6 referees would be do-able alright. You'd have Gavin, Cooke, Walsh, Kirwan, Carroll and Groome. Getting 24 umpires, when all the hurling clubs are in action at the same time could be a tall order though.

Which reminds me, stewards would be difficult to arrange what with a club’s team playing at another venue at the same time. Matches might have to be fixed for non-senior clubs like OCP, Rath, Crinkill, Carrig and 2 other venues.
kinnittyman wrote:What I heard is that there is a function for the Offaly 1985 team in Dublin that night and all games are being played early in the evening to allow people to go to that and the All Ireland the next day.

The matches from the same groups all have to throw in simultaneously which could be hard to organise on a Friday evening so Saturday at the same time for all games is the last remaining option. Do we have 6 competent senior hurling referees in the county?

i dont know do you have any idea on hurling. Being in Rath at w/end to see coolderry v lusmagh, it was a disgrace to watch one of the worst displays from a ref, and he also had three less than adequate umpires of his own. The ref in this instance should never be let referee another competitive senior championship match as this match has left a proud hurling club in a relegation battle, and this has been decided by a ref who i believe has noabsolutely no hurling knowledge along with this "plainoftheherbs lad"

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

What did I say? :?
footoftheblooms wrote:i dont know do you have any idea on hurling. Being in Rath at w/end to see coolderry v lusmagh, it was a disgrace to watch one of the worst displays from a ref, and he also had three less than adequate umpires of his own. The ref in this instance should never be let referee another competitive senior championship match as this match has left a proud hurling club in a relegation battle, and this has been decided by a ref who i believe has noabsolutely no hurling knowledge along with this "plainoftheherbs lad"

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

footoftheblooms wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:And I thought it was so the milking could be done in time for Mass!

i dont know do you have any idea on hurling. Being in Rath at w/end to see coolderry v lusmagh, it was a disgrace to watch one of the worst displays from a ref, and he also had three less than adequate umpires of his own. The ref in this instance should never be let referee another competitive senior championship match as this match has left a proud hurling club in a relegation battle, and this has been decided by a ref who i believe has noabsolutely no hurling knowledge along with this "plainoftheherbs lad"
You average one post a month and then you go mouthing off against a valued contributor!! What’s the story? And who is the referee and could you outline some poor decisions he seems to have made please?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Cloghan ?? !!
Lone Shark wrote:Surely when it comes to some of the venues, there are a few grounds that might normally be more used for football that could be used?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Cloghan ?? !!
Lone Shark wrote:Surely when it comes to some of the venues, there are a few grounds that might normally be more used for football that could be used?
Still in Rynaghs territory so not much point with that - might as well say Mountbolus.

I would have thought that Doon (though that's Brosna Gaels I suppose) or Shannonbridge would have been possibilities. I'd love to say Ferbane here but the grass tends to be kept a wee bit too long for hurling generally.
footoftheblooms wrote: i dont know do you have any idea on hurling. Being in Rath at w/end to see coolderry v lusmagh, it was a disgrace to watch one of the worst displays from a ref, and he also had three less than adequate umpires of his own. The ref in this instance should never be let referee another competitive senior championship match as this match has left a proud hurling club in a relegation battle, and this has been decided by a ref who i believe has noabsolutely no hurling knowledge along with this "plainoftheherbs lad"
I hate to be seen to be picking on a newbie since all posters are encouraged to speak up, but I think you're not doing yourself any favours here lad. POTH is as knowledgeable as they come when it comes to hurling and he has a long track record of coming up with good and insightful content - most people on here would rate his material as unparallelled in the county, print journos included.

I wasn't in Rath so I can't comment on how Ciarán Groome performed (I presume he reffed it, he was down to do so) but I know that another referee on that list could have been argued to have got Drumcullen relegated a few years ago, saving Lusmagh. The fact remains that all refs make a mistake, the good ones just try not to let it happen too often, or to let it affect them or the game from then on.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Lone Shark wrote:POTH is as knowledgeable as they come when it comes to hurling and he has a long track record of coming up with good and insightful content - most people on here would rate his material as unparallelled in the county, print journos included.
Even if he is one of those hurling purists that despises everything to do with the big ball :wink:

EDIT - I should clarify that this is my statement and not LS's and also that it's made in jest!......kinda :D
The night is darkest before the dawn

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Aah, now, I'll have you know I once went to a football match. :)

And I kicked a football out of my way once too. :)
TheManFromFerbane wrote:Even if he is one of those hurling purists that despises everything to do with the big ball :wink:

EDIT - I should clarify that this is my statement and not LS's and also that it's made in jest!......kinda :D

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Lone Shark wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Cloghan ?? !!
Still in Rynaghs territory so not much point with that - might as well say Mountbolus.

I would have thought that Doon (though that's Brosna Gaels I suppose) or Shannonbridge would have been possibilities. I'd love to say Ferbane here but the grass tends to be kept a wee bit too long for hurling generally.
footoftheblooms wrote: i dont know do you have any idea on hurling. Being in Rath at w/end to see coolderry v lusmagh, it was a disgrace to watch one of the worst displays from a ref, and he also had three less than adequate umpires of his own. The ref in this instance should never be let referee another competitive senior championship match as this match has left a proud hurling club in a relegation battle, and this has been decided by a ref who i believe has noabsolutely no hurling knowledge along with this "plainoftheherbs lad"
I hate to be seen to be picking on a newbie since all posters are encouraged to speak up, but I think you're not doing yourself any favours here lad. POTH is as knowledgeable as they come when it comes to hurling and he has a long track record of coming up with good and insightful content - most people on here would rate his material as unparallelled in the county, print journos included.

I wasn't in Rath so I can't comment on how Ciarán Groome performed (I presume he reffed it, he was down to do so) but I know that another referee on that list could have been argued to have got Drumcullen relegated a few years ago, saving Lusmagh. The fact remains that all refs make a mistake, the good ones just try not to let it happen too often, or to let it affect them or the game from then on.
have to agreed groome is a bad hurling ref, i am not knocking refs because its a hard job to do. but groome does take the biscuit sometimes last years Birr tullamore semil final
he rode Birr in that now its not sour grapes tullamore were well worth their win again us last year but groome was brutal again both sides.

i remember in banagher a few years ago Birr were playing kk i think and there was abit of a hand bags going on he blew the whistle and said its a throw up its a throw up
i think one of the birrs lads said to him throw in its a throw in in hurling. i know its hard to get refs but ciaran groome is a football ref i know he did a bit of hurling with
gracefield a few years ago. i think he is out of his depth reffing hurling nothing again the man but he hasn't a clue.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Referee's can be a big subject of concern alright.

To be fair to them they give their time up for what can be a thankless job by times but they must enjoy it and get enough out of it to encourage them to keep at it.

Groome is being singled out here, he's not the best in the county alright but I wouldnt just say at hurling. He has given some dodgy dodgy displays in football games Ive seen aswell. But he is one of many to be fair. I think theres very few good referees in the county. Theirs actually quiet a few who are totally out of line in the way they talk to players. Have you ever seen Catch Buckley for instance tear into players if they give the slightest hint that they disagree with a decision. I always found Kirwan from Ballyskenach a ref who looked for the slightest opportunity to shaft a team that might be the wrong side of the county. Brendan Keeshan was a complete disgrace. And Tony Carroll may be high on praise and getting alot of big games now but Ive seen him give a dreadful display in a county quarter final a few years ago. None of them are perfect is all im saying and it is an area that needs improving as its very hard on players when decisions cost them a game.