Offaly Minor Hurling 2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
aaaahhhh
Junior C

Re: Offaly Minor Hurling 2010

Post by aaaahhhh »

P.S. I accept the North Offaly hurlers in schools wont be hurling at a high level but calling in the whole panel in the midsth of winter for the sake of one or two lads isn't on. North Offaly schools are a joke when it comes to hurling but thats another matter altogether
from reading the above quote im a bit surprised. There is 1 school in 'south offaly' that is Birr which has over 1000 pupils. The other, banagher, doesnt participate in football competitions(not sure about Birr football?)

kk school is going strong, great to see.(all ireland semi)
killina , as far as i am aware are in b hurling, (kk in b vocational schools) and still in it.
however, i agree the 2 tullamore schools effort probably isnt what it should be? but size should be taken into account as they have probably less than 1/2 the amount of hurlers birr have. and they may not be as committed to their schools as their clubs.

therefore it is unfair to say "North Offaly schools are a joke when it comes to hurling" as a great effort seems to be put in in kk and killina.

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

bazza wrote:If a new management coming in doesn't know the players he shouldn't be let near the team. Jaysus, I could tell ye the main men to be on an Offaly panel from minor to senior, hurling or football
Maybe you should apply for one of the jobs next year so Bazza seeing as you have such a great knowledge of all the players in the county from minor to senior, in both hurling and football I might add. Very impressive indeed. Only in Offaly would management get blamed for looking at all players available to them-shame on them for giving everyone a chance and trying to pick the very best panel available. I read an interview with Mattie Murphy, the Galway minor manager last year saying he did something similar-looked at and called in over a hundred players from as far back as October for trial games. Didn't served them too bad did it?

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Maybe you should apply for one of the jobs next year so Bazza seeing as you have such a great knowledge of all the players in the county from minor to senior, in both hurling and football I might add. Very impressive indeed. Only in Offaly would management get blamed for looking at all players available to them-shame on them for giving everyone a chance and trying to pick the very best panel available. I read an interview with Mattie Murphy, the Galway minor manager last year saying he did something similar-looked at and called in over a hundred players from as far back as October for trial games. Didn't served them too bad did it?
Reagrding the issue with Mattie Murphy and Galway minors, Galway minor hurlers don't start there championship until late July at the earliest every year so Murphy would have a lot of time to see a lot players. However I have to dispute the fact that he started trials last October, it's just not true, those were development squads at best. Can you honestly say they were doing the kind of training/matches in mid October just a month after their All-Ireland final loss that Offaly have been up to November in the past few seasons? Also, Galway is a far bigger county with far more talented players so it will obviously take them a while to whittle the numbers down, but they look at these players very gradually.

With regard to this "giving everyone a chance" bull, I just dont agree with it. For me a player gets his chance to impress in mid season in important club or school matches and not on some small, soggy pitch in the middle of November. Managers should be at these games, full stop. And if the management team hasn't been appointed in time one great thing about Offaly is our small area. On the minor hurling management this year there are at least 4 or 5 men from different clubs, as far as I know. How many underage hurling clubs are there in Offaly? 10/12 competitive ones. Call in the best from your own club on club/school form and management use their contacts plus experience from other club matches to call in the rest. Keep the panel dynamic through the year by bringing in fresh faces and leaving go disinterested or poor formed players. Simple stuff really.

Use breaks like Christmas and mid-terms to the full advantage of the young lads by training hard then and getting spirit going. Come the month of May when we have to play Westmeath or Carlow on a dry big pitch with proper referees, the training will be done, the players and management wont be sick of the sight of each other having looked at one and other since last winter and we have done all we can!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Previous Offaly Minor & Under 21 Hurling managements?

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I’ve been trying to recall who managed Offaly’s minor & under 21 hurling teams during the decade just passed. I’ve got some, but I’ve a few gaps. Did Johnny Dooley manage the minors fir the two years 2005 & 2006? Did Danny Owens succeed Paddy Kirwan as minor manager in 2002? Can anyone help fill some of those gaps for me please?

Minor hurling managements

2000- Paddy Kirwan, Alan Walsh & Frank Whelahan
2001- do
2002- ?
2003- Danny Owens, Warren O’Meara & Noel Russell
2004- do
2005-
2006-
2007- Ger Coughlan,
2008- Johnny Pilkington, Ronald Byrne & Roy Mannion
2009- do

Under 21 hurling managements

2000- Percy Clendennen, Joe O’Connor & Ger Brereton
2001- Percy Clendennen, John Miller & Willie Gorman
2002- Declan Pilkington, Jim Troy & Joe O’Connor
2003- ‘The Clareman’
2004- ?
2005- Declan Pilkington, Joe O’Connor & Pat Hoctor
2006- ?
2007-Padraig Horan, Danny Owens & Pat Moloughney.
2008- Padraig Horan, Danny Owens, Mick Cleere & Brian England
2009- Stephen Byrne, Johnny Cleary & Paudge Mulhare
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

I Think johnny dooley was over the minors in 01 & 02 , Ger coughlan done two years i think 06 & 07.
the under 21 did mike mac do two years as well 03 & 04 Horan 06 as well .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hmmm!! Remember Johnny D was still hurling in '01 & '02, so I'd doubt he managed the minors in those years. I'd say the 2000 minor management were retained for the following year, having won the Leinster title. Now that I think of it, Danny Owens may well have taken charge of the minors in 2002, reaching the Leinster final in 2003 in his second year and was retained for a third year. Just a hunch though.
leinsterman wrote:I Think johnny dooley was over the minors in 01 & 02 , Ger coughlan done two years i think 06 & 07.
the under 21 did mike mac do two years as well 03 & 04 Horan 06 as well .
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Declan Pillinton was over the U21s in 2004.
I'm not sure who his selectors were.