Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by sam88885a »

that was clear on sunday rynagh played good hurling but i have to say clareen allowed them to pick out passes
.it wont be like that against kk every rynagh player will be under presure striking the ball.
kk forward turn over more ball than any other club team in offaly.
p geraghty c mahon and d currams hook and block better than most corner backs . that is clareen biggest problem j bergin and co dont hook or block ,they dont work hard enough off the ball .

kk improved hugely after beating rynagh two year ago .
if kk were playing to the level of leinster final or all ireland semi final win of 2012 there would be only one winner but there a fair bit off than yet this year .
sr rynagh workrate and movement was impressive yesterday ,it will be intresing to see how kk handle that in the final.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Well done to Brosna gaels beating Drumcullen at the weekend.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

firstly Congrt's to Brosna Gaels on staying up. I'm a disappointed Drumcullen man that we gone down.

Clareen Vs Rynagh's. I though that both Defences played well, So the game came down to which forward line work harder and Rynagh won that hands down. Clareen Midfield were over run by the Rynagh half forward line tracking back. Clareen half fowards and midfield have no idea how to tackle. i can' t remember them turning over a single ball in the whole match. 2-7 is a poor scoreline and it was more than that forward should have got.
Not trying to have a go at Clareen. But this is a really talented group of lads, that have been knocking about for a good while now and still haven't learned that you have to earn the right to play on the field. Some of their forward want the easy pass and then slot over great point and don't want to do the hard work need to get the ball.
Clareen victory over Birr means nothing now.
Rynaghs were excellent. Midfield and half forward line were outstanding. its was their hard work that made the win look easy.

Kilcormac Killoughey Vs Coolderry. Again Defences on top for a lot of the game. Everyone was closing down everyone so the game turned into a scrap and Kilcormac Killoughey won the 80% of the Scrap.
James Gorman was excellent in the Full forward line for Kilcormac killoughey.

Defending doesn't look as good a forwards scoring but it twice as important and i thought that the Kilcormac Killoughey half back line and Rynagh half forward line gave an exhibition of how to defend on Sunday.
A few things that made the admission fee worth while on sunday.
Mulrooney 1st goal from Clareen and the interplay between the forwards for that goal was class to see. (the only time Clareen forward line played as a team in the whole match)
The Rynagh's forward's turning over the ball for the rynagh's goal was outstanding. They did this all day. it was great work from the forwards and the kind of stuff we don't see enough of within the county.
Peter Healion Full length block at the end of the 1st half on Carroll. Wonderful to see.
And Carroll pass for the Coolderry goal was class.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I have to say that when I hit the road to take in the three games taking place last Sunday, I certainly didn't expect the game between Brosna Gaels and Drumcullen to be the highlight from a pure enjoyment point of view, yet that's how it turned out. Relegation finals often take on a life of their own as one or both teams get stifled by the pressure of the occasion, but there was none of that here. Drumcullen were very limited in the sense that they were heavily dependent on frees (just five points from play in the whole game) but they still produced some nice hurling. However physically, they were no match for the Gaels. There was real power along so many of the key positions in the Gaels team, even including players like Bernard Allen at full forward, who wouldn't be tall by any stretch of the imagination but still showed well for ball and made some good catches and direct runs.

The combination of Chris McDonald and Seán Hackett at midfield was crucial and probably the main difference between the sides. They hurled a lot of ball, scoring four points from play and setting up at least twice as many again with clever passes, or from drawing frees. I'd say Drumcullen must have tried five or six players at midfield over the course of the hour and they still couldn't get to grips with them.

Without doubt the best team won, but perhaps the most important aspect for Drumcullen was how well some of their younger players performed. They are moving in the right direction and hopefully will keep developing in the same way. If they do, they'll start as favourites for next year's Intermediate and will give it a very good rattle. Also, I'd have to mention Kieran Pat Kelly here - he covered ground and was up with play, he refereed by the book (which isn't always welcome in the era of "Let the play flow") but he was completely consistent and always gave one line of explanation for what a free was for, in a friendly manner. He didn't engage discussion and get drawn into rows, but players knew where they stood. Once they realised that they had to tackle legally, they tried to do so and the game was all the better for it. I thought it was excellent, well worthy of praise at a time when the only referees that seem to get lauded are the ones who essentially throw the ball in and then eat their whistle.

The Rynaghs vs Clareen game was a huge disappointment, Clareen simply never got going. Of course Rynaghs have to take a huge amount of credit for that, but even so, it's hard to shake the idea that this was very much a mental failure on Seir Kieran's part. Aspects like tackling in numbers and dominance of the breaking ball were brilliantly executed by Rynaghs and for that you'd say well done to Banagher, but that doesn't explain the amount of times that Clareen players dropped the ball unchallenged, their lack of good support play or the sheer anonymity of some of their key forwards. Joe Bergin was fighting for the ball and getting crowded out, but others were nowhere to be seen. The contrast with Rynaghs, who were really up for the game, was stark. Watching lads like Simon Óg Lyons and Daniel Maloney getting out in front and driving forward must have been great to see for Rynaghs supporters, but jaysus, they were five yards in front and ran clear untouched all too often. That's inexcusable.

It was a big win on the field but it was an unholy hammering on the sideline too. For example, the instruction to Eanna Murphy was clearly to hold the square at all times, don't follow Ger Rafferty out towards the sideline, but this really didn't work. Rafferty picked off one good point himself in the first half, then he set up the goal when he went out to the line, drove in and ended up drawing the two defenders because of his momentum, leaving Niall Wynne free to take the pass and score the goal. There was no urgency, no sense of firefighting from the Seir Kieran sideline either. I'm not talking about panic for the sake of panic, but Clareen were blessed to be only a point down at half time and yet there was no sign of them looking to change things around, or even to cover ground and keep talking to their players and rallying the cause. With twenty minutes to go they were clearly in deep trouble and yet they stood around. I appreciate that the option to bring on a Henry Shefflin or Tommy Walsh off the bench wasn't there, but the team on the field were flat and they needed some purposeful energy on the sideline to help gee them along.

Rynaghs on the other hand had a plan, they were constantly talking with their players but focusing on the game plan throughout. None of the headless roaring that we might have seen in the past, this was measured, thought out and controlled.

If Coolderry had beaten Kilcormac-Killoughey, I'd actually really fancy St Rynaghs right now. I think the intensity of their approach, combined with the intelligence of their hurling out of defence would have matched up very well with Coolderry's more traditional approach to the game. Coolderry aren't the best side at securing turnovers high up the field, so Rynaghs would have been able to build from the back. and give their forwards the type of service that could have stretched players like the Healions. However K-K are a different beast - they pressurise the player in possession so much harder, right from the very top end of the field, forcing the long delivery and thus playing into the hands of their aerial strength at the back. I'm certainly happy to admit that I didn't think Rynaghs had that level of performance in them - even if I still maintain that Clareen froze on the big day and would have struggled to beat most senior clubs hurling that poorly - but I don't know if they'll be able to reproduce that style of play as easily next time.

When it came to the second match, neither side will feel that they hurled well. Coolderry played over twenty minutes at the start of the second half, with the wind, and didn't score a point. That's shocking, regardless of the opposition or the circumstances. I found out subsequently that Joe Brady was playing with a serious injury which wouldn't have helped, though I didn't think he was playing particularly badly. Yet when Cathal Parlon went back to centre back, Coolderry finally got some momentum and they could have nicked it at the end - it would have been an ambush though.

KK produced their best hurling in the third quarter, and it was probably encouraging for them that their best performances weren't the county men, but players like Gorman, Con Mahon, Brian and Killian Leonard. Cillian Kiely was excellent as well, the idea that he's still minor is daft, given the power and size of the chap. However they were held goal-less for the first time in a long time (at least ten championship starts, possibly longer - I can't remember the 2013 round robin results) and with the exception of Currams' early chance that he pulled wide, you couldn't say that they missed any sitters. They were terrible in the first quarter and not great in the last, but the more and more the ground slows down, the more it'll suit them. I think they'll beat Rynaghs, not because I think they're a world better than them, but because I think their style will suit playing Rynaghs. Should be a seriously good occasion though.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Goodman youv'e backed against us most of the year always suggesting the opposition worth a punt!! Wouldn't like you cursing us now by sayin we are going to win.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Goodman youv'e backed against us most of the year always suggesting the opposition worth a punt!! Wouldn't like you cursing us now by sayin we are going to win.
It's always a value issue, it's not like regular predictions where you pick the side most likely to win. For example when it comes to the county final, it'll be based on the odds offered - I think a fair reflection would be 4/11 Kilcormac-Killoughey, or a three point handicap. If Powers go 1/2 and a 2pt spread I'll probably take KK, if they go 1/4 and a 4pt spread I'll back ye.

That's why I opposed ye with Tullamore, Belmont and Ballinamere. Admittedly in two of those three cases I was clearly wrong to do so, ye won with plenty to spare, but Tullamore at 7/2 was big, so I wasn't necessarily wrong there, it just didn't work out. I said that Shinrone shouldn't be outsiders against ye, that it was an even game and so 6/4 was a bet and I was right, even if it didn't pay out either. I backed ye against Birr at both SHC and IHC and ye came through, correctly opposed ye against Shamrocks (IHC), was spectacularly incorrect when I opposed ye at the weekend.

Don't get me wrong, that's not a good record - people following my tips in the Offaly Indo this year have made money, but I did underestimate ye slightly up along and so would be behind on bets involving Rynaghs hurling. However there's a big lump of a difference between that and saying that ye were "written off" as you suggested I did in a previous post. I've never done that, no matter how much you might enjoy pretending that I did.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Maybe your'e startin to respect us so. Fair enough you have job to do, I don't read indo but hear the chat from lad in club who does. Always give dem added motivation. Anyway wont fall out, hope your prediction wrong for co final though.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Maybe your'e startin to respect us so. Fair enough you have job to do, I don't read indo but hear the chat from lad in club who does. Always give dem added motivation. Anyway wont fall out, hope your prediction wrong for co final though.
Not starting to - always did. And remember, my tip for the final hasn't been made yet - when the odds are released, then all will be revealed!

OffalySorry
Junior B

Post by OffalySorry »

Kk played Na Piarsaigh tonight in Knockshe and absolutely hurled them up a stick..
They will take some beating..
Na Piarsaigh had Dowling, Downes and the like, bother who scored great goals but KK looked well better! Currams and Mahon especially, were outstanding..

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

OffalySorry wrote:Kk played Na Piarsaigh tonight in Knockshe and absolutely hurled them up a stick..
They will take some beating..
Na Piarsaigh had Dowling, Downes and the like, bother who scored great goals but KK looked well better! Currams and Mahon especially, were outstanding..
You must be a Rynaghs man :D

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Just a question to those in the know about the junior hurling championship. Killeigh and Clara both beaten in the semi so who goes into leinster now? Im not really sure what the story is

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Killeighman wrote:Just a question to those in the know about the junior hurling championship. Killeigh and Clara both beaten in the semi so who goes into leinster now? Im not really sure what the story is
As I stated before Killeigh man , this happened with Edenderry and Killeigh and Killeigh played Edenderry in Gracefield in a playoff and won , went on and represented Offaly and were beaten by a Kildare team I think . So unless one team don't want to go into Leinster then Killeigh will play Clara to see who represents Offaly in Leinster Special.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I couldnt imagine either team would be too pushed on competing at this stage in the year

The Outsider
Junior C

Post by The Outsider »

Well lads, what's the verdict for the weekend? Can KK get the 3 in a row or will the Francis Forde trained St Rynaghs be the first team to defeat them in over 2 years in the Offaly SHC.

Be interesting to see how St Rynaghs reshuffle the team that defeated Seir Kieran in semi final to accommodate Gary Conneely in their starting 15. Although Conor Hernon did leave the field the last day with what looked like a dead leg. How that defence handles the central threat of Conor Mahon and Dan Currams will have major say in where Sean Robbins resides for the Winter. St Rynaghs use of possession in semi final was excellent and the quality of the delivery to their forwards was key in dismantling a meek Seir Kieran challenge. However, one suspects that they will come under far more pressure in possession against the hard working midfield pairing of Leonard and Kilmartin et al.

KK were not overly impressive against Coolderry but still managed to come through the challenge. Personally I am really looking forward to the game on Sunday and as I see it two very contrasting styles of play. KK as we have seen in the last number of seasons never shirk a physical battle and in the semi final they seemed to hit many long aimless balls forward adopting the approach that their forwards are capable of winning it high or low. Rynaghs on the other hand, their style of play this year has been impressive. They like to retain possession and with a series of hand passes and short stick passes move the ball forward at speed.

I fancy Kk to shade it just about, can't see the St Rynaghs forwards making the inroads against the KK defence that they managed to do against Seir Kieran. Ger Rafferty will cause problems with his direct running no doubt but I believe that Ger Healion and himself may cancel each other out. The duels between Joe O'Connor and Stephen Quirke v Alan McConville and Con Mahon should also prove decisive in the outcome of the game. The KK half back line and midfield should be capable of limiting the influence of their direct opponents and up front the KK forwards battle with a pacy St Rynaghs defence is eagerly anticipated. KK by 3.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Having watched KK and Rynaghs 3 or 4 times this year it's a hard one to call. KK will be favourites but I fancy Rynaghs to sneak this one . They are not afraid to get stuck in , and the two Quirkes on form can cause a lot of trouble for KK . KK need to finish teams off they seem to take the foot off the gas after they get a lead up. I'm expecting a very good battle , a lot more entertaining than what was on show last Sunday . St.Rynaghs 1-16 KK 2-12.